D.C. Area Babies

Gift ideas for 2 year old girl (my own)?

My first baby is about to turn 2! I can't believe it. A few family members have asked me what to get DD for her birthday and I really don't have any ideas. We have tons of books and toys. As it is, I have to store some of her toys in the garage since we don't have room in the house for all of them. She has a doll she really likes, plenty of puzzles, and a small kitchen set. I just can't think of anything to get her. The only item I was considering was a water table since we have a patio behind our house. However, that's yet another thing I will have to store in the winter.

Anyway, if you have any ideas of small items or if you think she'd really like a water table, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Gift ideas for 2 year old girl (my own)?

• I generally asked for toys that encouraged creative play.  Here are some things my 2 year old loves

Dollhouse
    Water Table
    Sand Box
    Balls (we got her a tee ball set, it's fun)
    Puzzles (she's already mastered a lot of the earlier ones so I have been buying her more complicated ones)
    Matching Games
    Art supplies
    Things to dig with
    Cars
    Purse
    Stroller and wagon for her babies
    Little People Play sets
    Dress up outfits
    Blocks
    Beads to string
    Musical instruments

• I think a water table is a great idea.  More stuff - but we just got our friend's daughter a shopping cart with food and it was a huge hit.  Does she already have a tea set? That won't take up much room. 

• Loading the player...
  • Does she have an art easel and art supplies?

DD LOVES drawing/coloring, and uses her easel every day.

• easel (with the paper, magnets and crayons) and the kitchen were the huge 2nd birthday hits in our house. she will draw or cook for hours :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS's two year old gift from us was a sandbox.  DH made it, but the original plan was to just get him a turtle sandbox.

• DD#1 loves her easel and crayons (I'm not brave enough for paint yet).

For her 2nd birthday, we also asked family and friends to make/bring a donation for the DC Diaper Bank.  Just about everyone brought at least one package of diapers for donation and it cut down on the "stuff" in the house.  Most folks still brought a little gift, but we didn't have nearly the volume of gifts as before.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We just opened our water table, and it was only moderately successful. I think DD will have more fun with it if another kid plays with it with her.

Currently, DD is completely obsessed with bubbles. It's literally the first word out of her mouth in the morning. What about bubble-related toys?

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers"
  • What about a gift certificate for the MoCo parks and recs?  That way you can sign her up for a class.

I am going to suggest FFX parks and recs gift certificate for DS's bday this fall.

• Thanks everyone for the ideas. That gives me some things to think about. I'm still feeling like we have so much stuff but hopefully I can come up with something from the ideas that will work.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • What about a tricycle? I think DD was 2 when we got hers...
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • For us, we tried to think ahead to what she would like for the next year.  The non-board books with real pages and longer stories were getting popular - the Llama Llama series, Pinkalicious (I only really liked the original), Tickle Monster, Duck and Goose books, Little Quack, Madeline, Curious George.

Also the smaller toys, like the Disney figurine sets from her preferred movies, and the little plush toys from the Disney store - she liked to play pretend with them.  At first she loved the MMCH sets and then she got more into Nemo, Ariel, etc.

She also started liking the Little People sets more - the farm, the bus, etc.  It was when she got her first castle set which she liked more than the LP house.

DVD's for trips and the Disney movies you think she will watch in the future.

• Try checking out www.top20giftideas.com for some great gift ideas that are kept up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"