Natural Birth
Options

induction and natural delivery.

I am possibly facing induction and i am really really upset about it. i will be 41 weeks on thursday and if my fluid levels are low or i dont pass the NST i will have to be induced. I am praying everything will check out ok or i go before then but i am feeling nothing as of now. So have any of you STM's gone through a natural labor with induction? i really really don't want to be stuck in a bed. any advice or information would be helpful. thanks!

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: induction and natural delivery.

• Options
    Yes. I was induced with Pitocin last time around for high blood pressure. I was stuck in bed, but actually found the best position for me during contractions is laying on my left side. I'm having Braxton Hicks like crazy right now, and I hate when a contraction comes when I'm walking. It's the worst. Anyway, I had DD naturally in about 3 hours, 45 minutes from induction to birth. Pushed for maybe 10 minutes. I think it was closer to 5. When the nurse told me to look down to see her come out, I thought she was just crowning and almost snapped at the nurse I didn't want to see the top of her head. Lol. So natural birth with induction is absolutely do-able. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • Options
    I totally understand what you are going through.
    I had my first daughter at exactly 41 weeks, going into labor on my own and (after a failed epidural given too late to re-try) gave birth less than 2 hours after arriving to the hospital. No one ever pressured me into induction or said/did anything to scare me into thinking my body wouldn't go into labor, and it worked out perfectly.
    Fast forward 2 years, I was pregnant with my second, and had moved to a very non-natural birth friendly state. My doctor, who claimed being "natural friendly" at my first appointment, brought up scheduling an induction when I was 37+5!! From that point on, every week I was turning down induction. At 40+5, they really started bullying me, it was awful. We passed all the NST and fluid was fine.
    I finally agreed to the induction at 41+4. I am sure that the doctors would say it was a "picture perfect" induction (other than they wished I would have gotten the epidural). The hospital required internal monitoring for pitocin induction, so I was stuck on/right next to the bed. I did really great until transition and then it was awful. But, luckily that lasted a very short time and I pushed for only about 15 minutes.
    You can definitely do it without pain meds if you have your mind set on it. We had read books on the Bradley Method, but never took any classes. I was so very disappointed in the induction, I had gotten no sleep the night before because I was up crying. I was more scared of the induction/pitocin side effects than of epidural side effects.

All that being said. My sister gave birth in a different state than I was in and had a pitocin inducton at 42 weeks. She was allowed out of bed, she was allowed to use the labor tub, it was really a great induction experience compared to mine! She made it through 10 cm and 4 hours of pushing before opting to get the epidural.
    Hopefully, your hospital and doctor are more supportive like hers!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My friend did.  Started her on pit, baby was born four hours later, no pain meds.  It can be done, but obviously you are a much higher risk for interventions.  Personally, I would do my research on fluid levels and NSTs, knowing that you can decline an induction (even if they pressure you).  GL.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    You can ALWAYS decline, it is your right as a patient to say no to any treatment or intervention.  We know that estimating fluid amounts is not always accurate.  If they really start to insist, I would ask for a second opinion. 
  • Options
    I am 40 weeks today and talked to my OB about the possibility of induction in case it comes to that at my appointment today. She assured me I would be able to remain mobile and would request a room with a tub for me. Only difference is that I will need an IV. Bottom line though - don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. And I've heard drinking a lot of juice before the NST can help. That way, if your baby is fine, he/she will most likely be active during the ultrasound and it can help with your fluids if there isn't a "real" problem with your fluids.
    TTC since 2008. I'm 30/DH 32. Unexplained Infertility.
    All Welcome!

Unmedicated IUI: 9/11 BFN

1st IVF: January 2012. BCP, Lupron, Menopur, Gonal-F
    7 eggs retrieved, 5 mature, 3 fertilized, 3dt 2 grade A embryos.
    Beta 13dp3dt = 6. Beta 16dp3dt = 9. Chemical Pregnancy.

2nd IVF: Antagonist Protocol. June 2012
    BCP, Ganirelix, Menopur, Gonal-F
    18 eggs retrieved (6/25), 12 mature, 6 fertilized

BFP! Singleton due 3/18/13!

Photobucket
  • Options
    I did it with my first I was induced with pitocin, about 10 mins after she came out I told my husband that wasn't too bad I can do that again! Here I am with number two on the way. It can be done
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for the feedback. The day after i posted this my water broke! i ended up needing less than a taspoon of pitocin 24hrs into labor but i had the natural delivery i wanted!!! i will post my full story soon

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"