Attachment Parenting

bedsharing after 1 question.

I know safe bedsharing with newborns and young babies has been covered many times on this board....now I'm wondering what changes when baby grows into a toddler? Ds sleeps in his crib most of the night now so if he is in bed with me it's when he has woken up around 5 and dh has brought him in to snuggle. It wasn't an issue when I was breastfeeding but now that I have taken him off the breast I was thinking about it.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook

Re: bedsharing after 1 question.

• Safety-wise, at that age the concern is really just falling. Do you have a bedrail or is your bed pushed against the wall?
    imageimage
  • This...https://www.howtobeadad.com/2012/10327/1-10-baby-sleep-positions-collection

In all seriousness...my kids got really wiggly, we moved to baby sleeping between us instead of just next to me, there is the concern about baby falling so address that, but also baby will learn how to scale the bed and get off safely when awake. Right before walking, both boys would wake in the night and stand in the bed and be crazy-awake then go back to sleep.

• Loading the player...
  • yup, as PPs have said, falling out is the main concern. make sure he's between you and your DH or against the wall. you could also start teaching him about getting out of the bed feet first.

H Is for Hell is THE WORST!!
  • Thanks.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • To OP, now that j is over a year, I really have no worries. I've taught him how to get off the bed safely. And he doesn't move once he's snuggled up to mom and asleep. And Roundhouse Kicks are our fave position in this house as he settles down and tries to get a comfy position. That little article made me smile.
    Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...
    Due 8/26/19!
  • mb314mb314 member
    I much preferred bed sharing after DS was 1 because I didn't have to worry about pillows, blankets, etc. much.  We have a bed rail, and I also put DS between DH and me.  I have the bed rail really just to prevent him from climbing over me and going off the bed head first.  I could probably get rid of it at this point.

I agree with pp to start teaching LO how to safely get out of bed feet first.  It worked better once DS could walk, but it doesn't start to teach you LO early. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• LBF DPTLBF DPT member
    We have double rails as DS,DH and I can not sleep comfortably in our queen bed.the link was awesome! Often we sleep horizontally in the bed and I hate it. Roundhouse kick is part of going to sleep routine and somehow he feels the need to sleep on my arm.
    Visit The Nest! IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"