December 2014 Moms

High HCG Levels at 5 weeks...

Kasey880Kasey880 member
edited May 2014 in December 2014 Moms
Happy Friday! 
I spoke with my Doctor's office today after having blood work done last night. I called yesterday afternoon to inform them that my symptoms had lessened and I was having a slight brown discharge. Honestly, this is my first pregnancy and I think I'm just being paranoid. Anyways, when I called this morning they asked for the date of my LMP and I again reassured them it was March 25 (I'm very regular). They said according to my HCG levels that everything looked good (no signs of possible miscarriage) but they believe I'm actually 6 or 7 weeks. They also mentioned there's obviously a possibility of multiples. They even moved my appointment up a week! 
A week ago I read a thread about "What does a positive pregnancy test look like?" and noticed that the pregnancy tests of other women around the same DPO as I was had very faint lines compared to when I first took mine. Both of my tests were very boldly positive before I could even wash my hands! Forget the "wait three minutes" nonsense. 
So I've been feeling that my levels were high from the beginning, but have no previous pregnancies to compare. To be completely honest I very stupidly consented google and read talk of "Down Syndrome" and other things that made me less than happy. I knew better! 

I guess my question is this; Have any of you had this happen before? What was your outcome?
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: High HCG Levels at 5 weeks...

• Kasey880 said:
    Happy Friday! 
    I spoke with my Doctor's office today after having blood work done last night. I called yesterday afternoon to inform them that my symptoms had lessened and I was having a slight brown discharge. Honestly, this is my first pregnancy and I think I'm just being paranoid. Anyways, when I called this morning they asked for the date of my LMP and I again reassured them it was March 25 (I'm very regular). They said according to my HCG levels that everything looked good (no signs of possible miscarriage) but they believe I'm actually 6 or 7 weeks. They also mentioned there's obviously a possibility of multiples. They even moved my appointment up a week! 
    A week ago I read a thread about "What does a positive pregnancy test look like?" and noticed that the pregnancy tests of other women around the same DPO as I was had very faint lines compared to when I first took mine. Both of my tests were very boldly positive before I could even wash my hands! Forget the "wait three minutes" nonsense. 
    So I've been feeling that my levels were high from the beginning, but have no previous pregnancies to compare. To be completely honest I very stupidly consented google and read talk of "Down Syndrome" and other things that made me less than happy. I knew better! 

I guess my question is this; Have any of you had this happen before? What was your outcome?
    I'm a little confused on how you can feel your levels… but with that being said, high HCG does not necessarily mean multiples.  It may, but it also may not.  The only way to tell is via ultrasound.  Keep us posted.
    {May Siggy Challenge}
    Favorite TV mom: Janelle's Mom

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Flor Maria
  • Loading the player...
  • ^^^TWINS!!! SQUEEE!!!!!!
    {May Siggy Challenge}
    Favorite TV mom: Janelle's Mom

BabyFruit Ticker
    Flor Maria
  • ^^^TWINS!!! SQUEEE!!!!!!

Missed you Scrap.
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Aw shucks you guys.  :\">

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Let me explain.... The nurse from my doctor's office is the one that said my levels were so high (don't know the exact numbers) that it could mean multiples. I did not realize this until she told me. I'm just going by what she said. And "feeling"  my levels were high wasn't really a feeling. I wondered if they were high based off of what I said about my positive tests at that point in time.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rayray007 I'm going to call after I get off of work and ask for the exact numbers. Were yours higher than usual? I've never heard the "multiples" suggestion before she said that. I was a little confused myself.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have read online of people with hcg numbers lower than mine that have multiples. I only have one in there. Really, a sono is the only way to know.
  • @rayray007 My level was 34,657.... Keep in mind I was 5 weeks and 2 days. Wow. But I do know everyone is different. I'm looking on the bright side of things! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • rshamosrshamos member
    High hcg is not a guarantee of multiples, but it can be an indicator. At the fertility clinic, we all got nervous when the first beta was over ~300ish. It sometimes meant multiples. Especially if it tripled instead of doubled. But orhertimes it was just a strong singleton. I had never heard the Down syndrome thing though!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Kasey880 said:
    @rayray007 My level was 34,657.... Keep in mind I was 5 weeks and 2 days. Wow. But I do know everyone is different. I'm looking on the bright side of things! :)
    Whoa. Mine was 12,026 at 5w0d. Is there anyway you could be further along than you think? 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• MmsHughes4MmsHughes4 member
    edited May 2014
    caden1206 said:

I have read online of people with hcg numbers lower than mine that have multiples. I only have one in there. Really, a sono is the only way to know.

This exactly. I thought higher beta numbers were an indicator of multiples but that's not necessarily true. Only way to know is with an ultra sound.

BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

PgAL : 04/2013 BFP - mmc/d&c  : 12/2013 BFP - chemical pregnancy

• Kasey880Kasey880 member
    edited May 2014
    RayRay007 said:

Kasey880 said:

@rayray007 My level was 34,657.... Keep in mind I was 5 weeks and 2 days. Wow. But I do know everyone is different. I'm looking on the bright side of things! :)

Whoa. Mine was 12,026 at 5w0d. Is there anyway you could be further along than you think? 

@RayRay007‌ I really can't understand how I would be. I have tracked my period and ovulation for over a year and I'm very regular. Also, there are other factors that are just TMI lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My early HCG was like a million during my first pregnancy. Turned out to be one normal little boy! My HCG this time was high still but about half where it was with #1.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • (This pregnancy 28,411 at 6 weeks... last pregnancy it was in the 40k range)
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic!Image and video hosting by TinyPic
               Warner, our early surprise, born March 12, 2013!
            Watching You Grow Everyday, Right Before Our Eyes!
  • ajlmomajlmom member
    I was gonna second the rest of the ladies and say high beta doesn't always mean multiples, however, >30K seems pretty high for 5 weeks even if you have multiples!  Are you sure when you ovulated?  Did you have fertility treatment?  

Based on Betabase (https://www.betabase.info/), my betas were higher than the average for twins but I ended up with a singleton.   An ultrasound is the only way to know.  

Congrats on your BFP and good luck at your first appointment!

Pregnant with #2

IVF cycle 1 (Nov 2013)- freeze all d/t OHSS
    FET #1-BFN
    FET #2-BFP baby girl born Dec 2014
    FET #3-Sept 2017 BFP but miscarried at 6 weeks

IVF cycle 2 (Oct 2017)- freeze all again d/t OHSS
    FET #1 BPF, pregnant with a singleton due Sept 2018

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Mrw218Mrw218 member
    Mine was 25000 at 5 weeks and some change which by some websites looked very high. I don't think I'm having twins and I hope to God I'm not either. In fact I really had to search deep to find any website that just blatantly stated high hcgs mean multiples. Most I read said all women r different and these numbers can be highly variable and read alone only indicate pregnancy but not necessarily the health or anything else.
  • heleng5 said:

I was gonna second the rest of the ladies and say high beta doesn't always mean multiples, however, >30K seems pretty high for 5 weeks even if you have multiples!  Are you sure when you ovulated?  Did you have fertility treatment?  

Based on Betabase (https://www.betabase.info/), my betas were higher than the average for twins but I ended up with a singleton.   An ultrasound is the only way to know.  

Congrats on your BFP and good luck at your first appointment!

I'm 99% sure when I ovulated and conceived naturally. It'll be an interesting ultrasound! Thank you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • pjswifepjswife member
    Keep us posted! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• JCM285JCM285 member
    I just wanted to say that I have been obsessed with my betas because I had two previous losses. Every time I heard the amount I would write it down in my calendar and then consult this online chart. https://www.babymed.com/hcg-level-in-early-pregnancy I found it reassuring to check something. I'm at 8w5d and my last beta was over 95,000 which is within range. You will see from the chart that all of the ranges are extremely wide.
    Married my best friend 7/2/11 - Furbaby born 7/9/11 and brought into our home 9/1/11

BFP#1:   2/2/13 ~ exact m/c date unknown but around 3/20 at 10 weeks ~ diagnosed with PMP ~ D&C on 4/5 ~ TTA for at least 1 year due to PMP ~ cleared to TTC 1/14

BFP#2:   2/7/14 ~ m/c 2/20/14 ~ possibly due to chemical pregnancy ~ TG no D&C is needed 

Surprise BFP#3:  4/4/14 ~ super duper extra happy (and nervous) about this one - EDD 12/9/14!!!

John Joseph was born on 12/12/14 at 7 lbs. 11 oz.  He is the most beautiful rainbow baby we could have wished for!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"