July 2013 Moms
Options

Did you have immediate skin-to-skin contact with your baby?

2»

Re: Did you have immediate skin-to-skin contact with your baby?

• Options
    I had a fever during labor with DS so after he was born, while I was being stitched, they checked DS's vitals, weighed, and measured him. Then I got him back for an hour. They then took his to the nursery for his bath. I had a csection with DD so they also checked her vitals, weighed, and measured her and then gave her to me. She was not taken for her bath until late that night. With both babies, I tried to nurse. DS never latched. DD latched after 2 hours and has always been a fantastic nurser.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    NKaeding said:

I had a section so DH held her first.

They cleaned, measured, check her and then gave her to DH. It was probably 5 minutes.

Once I was closed up, I got to hold her.

We were back in recovery and BFing within 15-20 minutes.

This exactly. I don't feel it impacted my bond with LO
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bobceebobcee member
    Yes with both.  However skin to skin with DD was brief because she swallowed meconium and they needed to check her.  Then they gave her back when all was good.  I had skin to skin with DS immediately also and they delivered my placenta and stitched me up while I was holding him.  I got to hold him and nurse for quite a while before they took him to weigh him.

image image

D 2.20.2011 & Z 7.16.2013

• Options
    Yes with Owen and Liam and no with Thomas and Finn. I don't think not having skin-to-skin contact affected out bond or our breastfeeding relationship, but I wish I'd had it with all the children. I'm glad the culture is changing and there's more of a push to allow skin-to-skin for CS moms.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    No, I had general anesthesia with my c/s, so it was about 2 hours before I was back in my room and the nurse could bring him to me.  We did a little skin to skin at that point, but I was in so much pain it was difficult for me.  But I don't think it affected our bond at all.  I don't think it's possible for me to be "more bonded" to him than I am.  I am a little sad that I was unconscious when he was born and missed that experience, but it's not something I dwell on.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Depends on what you mean by immediate. They cleaned her off then handed her to me in a blanket which I Unswaddled and put her on me
  • Options
    I had to wait for about a hour after delivery (DS born sunny side up, with cord wrapped around his neck) while the NICU staff attended to him. I don't think it affected my bond with him, but I agree with others that I do think it affected our breastfeeding relationship. 
  • Options
    My gown was open in front and they plopped her on me for skin to skin. I stared at my beautiful baby while they stitched me up and handled all that. I think she was even laying on me when DH cut the cord. Then they weighed her and brought her back to me. Then our parents came in and admired her while I held her... Nobody got to hold her but me for the first couple hours. She did get her first bath when she took a GIANT meconium poop on me.

This, minus the poop!

I did give her up for a few minutes to be weighed and such, and so I could go pee :)
  • Options
    Yes, I was very fortunate to give birth at a birth center that really supported this.  After I gave birth she was immediately placed on my chest and they didn't come in to do anything with her at all until about 1.5 hours later (no weighing her, no meds, NOTHING).  I had a lactation consultant come in 10 minutes after I gave birth to make sure that she was latching okay.

I don't know if it affected our bond, but Adeline is extremely mommy-attached and always has been.  I'm sure that skin-to-skin helped to form our bond, but me being with her 24/7 doesn't hurt it either!
     AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

F15 Siggy Challenge: What You're Looking Forward to Most After Baby Arrives: BELLY SLEEPING!

photo c433cf4d-aa40-443c-af77-110275d91d89.jpg
  • Options
    emandiaemandia member
    Yes, I had a water birth. Not sure how much it helped. I kinda felt like he hated me the first 4 months.
  • Options
    With my first yes, second no. I would of happily taken a nap during my c-section (I was very tired) and was fighting with myself to stay awake. It took about 50 minutes before I was able to be reunited which helped me to wake up and get over my nauseous feeling. I don't feel like the bond was affected at all.
  • Options
    gutsymamagutsymama member
    edited May 2014

gulickr said:

My gown was open in front and they plopped her on me for skin to skin. I stared at my beautiful baby while they stitched me up and handled all that. I think she was even laying on me when DH cut the cord. Then they weighed her and brought her back to me. Then our parents came in and admired her while I held her... Nobody got to hold her but me for the first couple hours. She did get her first bath when she took a GIANT meconium poop on me.

This, minus the poop!

I did give her up for a few minutes to be weighed and such, and so I could go pee :)
    The seasoned nurse said it was the most poop she'd ever seen!

My mom tried to convince the nurses to weigh her again after that giant poop, thinking she probably lost a few ounces!

I didn't mind being pooped on though--she was 2 weeks overdue and there was no meconium in the fluid cause she managed to store it all up!
    -------------------------------
    I'm fairly certain that the next time around, there will be very few things that could make me happier than being pooped on :)
    FKA mimi4347: diaper rash magician and unofficial expert on excrement
    photo fdcd1f14-730b-4ea3-9fd5-37c8a5575512_zps6b3ccb11.jpgphoto a71807cf-a0c7-4c71-807b-bc4577b61b83_zps4eece2a6.jpg
    This kid may not have a lot of bowel, but he has plenty of guts! 
    DS born at 34 weeks with (surprise!) gastroschisis turned short bowel syndrome.
    131 days in the NICU, 7 trips to the OR, G-button, daily TPN....
    We are impatiently awaiting the day we can say goodbye to his girlfriend Ivy for good.
  • Options
    mimi4347 said:

gulickr said:

This, minus the poop!

The seasoned nurse said it was the most poop she'd ever seen!

My mom tried to convince the nurses to weigh her again after that giant poop, thinking she probably lost a few ounces!

I didn't mind being pooped on though--she was 2 weeks overdue and there was no meconium in the fluid cause she managed to store it all up!
    -------------------------------
    I'm fairly certain that the next time around, there will be very few things that could make me happier than being pooped on :)

In the very nicest possible way, I hope your next LO is a big pooper!
  • Options
    @casey78 holy Crap. How scary! I'm so sorry I was so stuck in my own little world I didn't even realize this happened! Have you fully recovered?
  • Options
    mandyrator79mandyrator79 member
    edited May 2014
    I have had three c-sections so I did not get skin to skin right away with any of my kids. :( But I don't feel like it made a difference with our bond. I bond with my babies pretty good just while pregnant. I did not get to actually hold my first born until I was out of recovery, so he was about an hour and a half old. The hospital still had the same rule when I had my second son, plus he was breathing too fast and they were monitoring him. I did not hold him till he was over three hours old. :( With Nadia they changed the rule and I got to hold her in the recovery room! That was amazing too me, but did not affect our bond. I really think I bonded with all my babies the same and instantly. With my boys I got to see them in the OR about five minutes after they were born, but with Nadia they held her up for my husband and I to see as soon as they pulled her out. I really enjoyed getting to meet her at the same time as my husband, we actually got to cry together. I did feel sad about missing that moment with our boys.

baby #1 boy 11.1.02 baby #2 boy 2.25.04 baby #3 girl 6.28.13 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker my blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"