August 2012 Moms

My dog is sick :(

My dad called me last night to talk about my dog. He says she is lethargic and her feet and legs are swollen. (She still lives at my parents' house which is right in front of mine and my dad takes care of her since I've had the boys. She's an outside dog and it can be hard to get out with her and the boys at times.).

Anyway he says she doesn't get up to greet him anymore when he feeds her and doesn't even bother barking at the neighbor's dog, horse or cows anymore when she sees them. He thinks she has arthritis, plus she is about 13 years old. I'm going up call the vet today and see about taking her in but then I'm afraid I will have a tough decision to make. Keep me in your thoughts please. My last dog passed on his own and the one before that was hit by a car, I've never had to make the call on my dog's fate and I'm really torn about it.
Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: My dog is sick :(

• I'm sorry! I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • I'm sorry to hear about your dog.  I can't imagine having to make that decision.  I'm sure I will have to make it one day though (with my two dogs).  Let us know what the vet says.  Your in my thougths!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I spent some time with her this afternoon, her ankles and paws are swollen and she has a lot of trouble peeing. She also is moving very slowly. Doesn't look good to me.
  • edited May 2014
    Sending big hugs. It is a horrible decision to have to make, but you have to be strong and keep in mind what is best for your girl. When my cat was sick I could not get over my own feelings. I still regret not being strong enough to put her to sleep when she was clearly suffering.

• I am so sorry you are dealing with that. I am glad that you got to spend some time with her. Sending you hugs!
  • ks3pinkks3pink member
    I started talking to DD today about the dog being sick and she cried and cried. Ugh. So hard to see your kids upset over something like this. Doesn't make my decision any easier!
  • It is such a tough decision but ultimately you don't want her to suffer and have to do what is in her best interest. Have you talked to the vet to see what they recommend? Good luck! I'm sorry you are going through this!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"