Baby Names

Can Millie be a nickname for Magnolia?

When I think of Magnolia, the natural nicknames I come up with are Maggie and Nola. I really love Magnolia, but because it's so long I feel like I will need a nickname for it. I figure Magnolia has the "M-i-l" in it, just not in that order, so it is too much of a stretch to name her Magnolia and call her Millie sometimes? There are other names that lead to Millie that I love (Matilda, for example) but I really love Magnolia as a first name. I'm just not sure I can get on board with Maggie as a nickname...

I am currently trying to convince DH of Camille as a MN so I can get Millie that way. Haha!

Does this work in a slightly off way, or am I crazy?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Can Millie be a nickname for Magnolia?

• I see Mia as a nn for Amelia on here sometimes, so I guess Millie could be a nn for Magnolia as well.

Also, some nn aren't exactly true derivatives of the formal name, so I think you can call her whatever you want.  

• It's a stretch.

Nolie? Lia? Aggie?

I am with you though-- Love Magnolia but not Maggie.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • brownmousebrownmouse member
    edited May 2014

It's a stretch.

Nolie? Lia? Aggie?

I am with you though-- Love Magnolia but not Maggie.

Maggie, to me, just seems so.... blah and boring in place of Magnolia. We like unique not commonly used names (Our names are Rebecca and Daniel, so you can see why) and Maggie is not that at all.

• I say yes!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• I like it. 
  • catahoulattecatahoulatte member
    edited May 2014
    I want you to use Magnolia because I love it, so I'll agree with you that it's not too much of a stretch if that makes you use it ;)

But really, I think mostly anything can go in terms of nicknames.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I want you to use Magnolia because I love it, so I'll agree with you that it's not too much of a stretch if that makes you use it ;)

But really, I think mostly anything can go in terms of nicknames.

Haha! I love this.

• mjreilly2 said:

I think anything can work as a nn, really. Nicknames aren't always derived from the formal name and they aren't always straight from the letters in the name (Robert—Bob/Bobby, Richard—Rick/Ricky/Dick).

I think Magnolia nn Millie is great (but I may by biased...).

I agree with this. Both my DD's have nicknames from my husband that have nothing to do with their names (except the same first letter). I think of it like this: Some people refer to June babies as a June bug while their pregnant, I've known some that have stuck even after they were born. That means, a girl named _____ is sometimes called June, as in June bug. My sister is Krystal and I've called her Bubby almost all her life, my kids call her Auntie GG (a nickname from "Garden Gnome" that my husband gave her when she dressed as an elf one Christmas). I don't believe nicknames have to have anything to do with a given name.

Edit: extra letters and lacking spaces

DD had a lot of nicknames that have nothing to do with her name as well. We also call her "The Herb" when we are talking about her.

Glad not many people think I am crazy for the Magnolia Millie idea. :)

• LuluRMLuluRM member
    Um... my name is Laura, yet I have been called Lulu FOREVER, even in grad school and at work. I intro myself as Laura, but ppl inevitably find out about the nn and always respond "oh, I love that, it suits you much better"... so here I am, 30 years old, mother, manager at a multi-billion dollar company, and everyone still calls me Lulu. I think Millie is a fine nn for magnolia.
  • cmw&tdmcmw&tdm member
    I think it's too much of a stretch, just my opinion.
  • edited May 2014
    I love the NN Millie, so I sweet  say go for it! If Molly works with Margaret, then Millie can work with Magnolia.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• If Margaret can be Peggy then I don't see why Magnolia can't be Millie.
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
  • I think it's a stretch. DD is Magnolia and I hate the nn Maggie - luckily she does too and is quick to correct people.

She prefers being called by her full name, but did go through a Nolie stage - which is my favorite Magnolia nn.
  • Love Millie, love Nolie actually too. I have a cousin Scooter. His real name is James. Nicknames don't have to make perfect sense. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"