Baby Names
Options

Was not expecting that...

Lerisa85Lerisa85 member
edited April 2014 in Baby Names
I have two lovely little boys and was sure I was having a third boy especially after my doctor told me it was a boy at my check-up last Monday. She said the usual "i'm not trained for it but it looks like a boy". I obviously didn't go out an buy anything since my official A/S was the following Friday. My jaw hit the floor when I was told (and saw!) that it was a GIRL. 

I am THRILLED! This is our last child, and with 2 boys a girl was definitely my wish! There's just one problem. I don't have ANY girl's names that I like. 
My boys are Jonah and Noah and I would like to avoid another biblical/religious name since we are not religious at all despite how that would appear. We're agnostic as far as that goes. I also want to avoid "cute" names that work until Kindergarten then get childish. I don't want nicknames as names and nothing mashed together like Emmalynn. I don't like any "ash" names (Ashlyn, Asher, Ashton, etc) I also don't like Lynn names at all. No odd crazy spellings like Hayleigh, also nothing in the top 50 preferably. I like old fashioned but uncommon names as well. But that's my problem, I have a HUGE list of "nope" "hate-it" and "gross" names, but nothing I LIKE. So I know this is a open-ended, awful request but I need suggestions. 

Middle name is Erin after a close friend that died in 2008. Last name is a "ski" name like The Big Lebowski :)

Thanks in advance!

Edit for grammar

Re: Was not expecting that...

• Options
    LadyXaverianLadyXaverian member
    edited April 2014
    Have you ever used Nymbler.com? I just typed in Noah and Jonah and asked for "girl" suggestions. 

Here are a few that came up that I like and that I think fit your criteria of being kind of old fashioned but not too popular:

Lena
    Lucy
    Isabel
    Nina

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    edited April 2014

Congrats!

Daphne

Matilda

Frances/ Francine

Simone

Genevieve

Laurel

Henrietta

Natalia

Meredith

Odette

Bernadette

Georgia

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I also struggle with "vet tech" syndrome. Meaning I see lots of dogs... and all 4 of those jumped at me as dog names immediately and I don't mean that to offend anyone with kids named those names since they're obviously human names but when you see 100+ dogs a week... you see it all. Especially Lucy. I guess I don't want something like my boy's names really, I want something different and I know I am being WAY too picky! This is such a struggle for me.
  • Options
    Lerisa85 said:
    I also struggle with "vet tech" syndrome. Meaning I see lots of dogs... and all 4 of those jumped at me as dog names immediately and I don't mean that to offend anyone with kids named those names since they're obviously human names but when you see 100+ dogs a week... you see it all. Especially Lucy. 
    I can understand this, though I'm surprised that Isabel reminded you of a dog's name.

My current favorite girl's name is Matilda, for what it's worth. 
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options
    Lerisa85Lerisa85 member
    edited April 2014
    I have a list but they all end in "a" pretty much because it seemed to flow better with Erin for a middle name. We liked Olivia but it's too popular for me. My grandma's name was Livvy (her full name) but I thought it was too NN sounding so I opted for Olivia and it's just too common now. Same with Amelia!

Marina

Alena, Elena, Elaina, Yelena

Alina; Adelina

Amelia; Amalia

Ariana, Arianna

Julia

Olivia

Regina

Serena; Serina

Valerie

Vera

I've pretty much just slashed my whole list for one reason or another.

• Options

Marjorie, Brenna, Joy, Kendall, Kendra, Monica, Veronica, Vivian, Pauline, Tabitha, Zoe, Chloe, Phoebe

• Options
    Joy2611 

Alexander was our boy name so I have been thinking about Alexandra or Alexandria! 
    And Anastasia was what my husband and I always wanted to name a girl when we had our boys because it was his great grandma's name and goes well with the last name but I came to find out that his ex named her daughter that and i found out about it right around the time he was cheating on me with her  (we got over it and are doing good now) but it RUINED the name, I was so angry!

I really like Aurora even though its a city by me and Victoria, I may just bring those up to the hubs :)

Vivian is cute too... getting some ideas, this is helpful!
  • Options
    Livia does fall in the too much like a NN category for me. It's pretty but it also looks kinda childish after age 10. Marisa and Marissa are cute but my real name is actually Lerisa (my mom misspelled Larissa, lucky me!). But I do like Miranda! You guys are way better at girl names than me, I need this for sure.
  • Options
    Lerisa85Lerisa85 member
    edited April 2014
    I LOVE Ramona but its my best friend's daughter's name! That's why I added Regina to my list but then I found another thread where someone said she'd get called Vagina and a few other negative remarks so i crossed it off but I think I picked up another name or two from that thread haha.

I loved the Ramona books when I was a kid and hadn't seen the name used until my friend named her daughter it and I was thinking "MAN I wish i would have had a girl and thought of that!"
  • Options
    It's just a personal opinion! I want a name that grows well, maybe a longer name with cutesy nicknames and a mature full or secondary nickname. Livia just doesn't hit the spot for me, it's not a bad name though by any means! It's way better than my cousin's daughter Krissy. That's her full name, it's not short for anything and I just don't like that. 
  • Options
    Sorry for repeats and congrats!

Evelina

Lucia

Miriam

Cecilia

Aurelia

Imogen

Iris

Violet

Hazel

Alice

Delilah

Lila

Alessandra

Gabrielle
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    I love your boys' names, and you sound like you have good taste in girls' names as well.

I don't know if you like distant connecting sibset themes, but I think it would be very cool to do a girls' name related somehow to water as both of your boys' names are. Like maybe April, as in "April Showers..." or Cordelia, meaning daughter of the sea. Marin means daughter of the sea, Noelani means mist of heaven. Although it's rather cutesy, Tallulah means leaping waters. You could always call her Tally. Yara means water lady.
    imageimage image
  • Options
    Josephine, Magdalena, Helena, Georgia, Cassandra, Lydia, Beatrice, Rosalind, Isadora, Harriet, Juniper, Adelaide
    **TW** TTC History
    TTC#3 since Nov 2020 at ages 35 & 39
    TTC#1 - 2 IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 2 miscarriages (LC age 4)
    TTC#2 - a very welcome surprise without intervention (LC age 2)

• Options
    Lots of great suggestions so far. May be some double ups:

Lavinia
    Hannah
    Sabina
    Abigail
    Claudia
    Lydia
    Stella
    Estelle
    Piper
    Felicia
    Phoebe
    Fiona

photo OfficeMeme_zpsd9ca2829.jpg
  • Options

DD2 is Isla

Elsa

Eliza

Lydia

Felicia

Ana

Tara

Leah

That's all I have! lol! I'm so bad with names ending in -a

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Caroline Erin sounds great together and go with Jonah and Noah. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thank you everyone! I definitely have a small list to sort through now!
    Lot's of names I haven't even thought of. I'll create a poll if I need to once I narrow it down to a top 3 or 4. 
  • Options
    cjcj05cjcj05 member
    How about

Michelle or Renee
  • Options
    I am not sure if it has been suggested already, but I would like to add Sylvia because it is lovely and would sound great with your boys' names.  
  • Options
     Congrats on the girl!!! I'm having one too, and with 3 boys and now 3 girls I always have a hard time with girls names!

I like Olivia. You could nn her Olive, that's one of those old names that sounds cool now. Or Ollie. Or Vee. I wouldn't worry about popularity-my oldest DS has a name that was very popular in his birth year but dropped like a rock after. As an adult it is a non-issue for him!
  • Options

Congrats on your girl! Lots of great names suggested already.  Hoping for no repeats:

Rowena

Veronica

Marianne

Maren

Salome

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards