April 2014 Moms
Options

Baby doesn't sleep well during the day

Ever since Sunday my baby has not been napping well during the day. At night he will sleep for two hours at a time or so but during the day when he wakes up and eats he will stay awake forever. When he does finally fall asleep it's like a 10 minute catnap. Sometimes he will be fussy and sometimes he's not, he just looks around. He is one day shy of two weeks old so I know he shouldn't be up more than probably 45 minutes to an hour at a time, but on Monday he was up for about four and half hours, yesterday about 3 1/2, and today he is going on 4 again. He has had one or two 15 minute naps or so. I try eliminating all distractions, swaddling him, but nothing seems to work to get him to go to sleep. I know this can't be good for him so I'm starting to worry. What is the best thing to do about this?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Started dating February 6, 2012
Married June 28, 2013
BFP August 9, 2013
Had our first baby, Samuel Robert, on April 17, 2014!

Re: Baby doesn't sleep well during the day

• Options
    To some extent you just have to roll with it. He will likely go back to sleeping more on his own, soon. With my daughter I remember says where I just had to hold her while she napped because it was the only way. Check out the 90 minute sleep solution, too.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am having the exact same problem! Our LO will only nap during the day if he is held. He starts daycare in three weeks and I'm worried he's gonna scream the whole day cause they won't be able to hold him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD has had days like that, but then she reverts back to the norm of being sleepy most of the day. She'll be 3 weeks tomorrow and i think there have been at least 3-5 days, sometimes a couple consecutively, in which she's been more awake. She was also more fussy those days and her eating patterns were off (maybe a growth spurt?) So, it could be temporary/a phase. 

• Options
    Thanks everyone---glad to know it's not just my baby. I'm going to look more into that 90 min sleep solution-- does the age of the baby matter?

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

• Options
    I don't think so but I don't remember for sure. It's not sleep training, it's just working withtheir natural rhythms.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yes, yes, and yes. No advice just comisserating. So different than my first. You're not alone.

• Options
    Same thing here but at night time she is crying and crying and she stops if I put her in my chest but it takes for ever.
  • Options
    My kid does this, but only for me! She was awake today for 6 hours! Not crying, just fussing to eat and then bright eyed and bushy tailed, just chillin. Really slows down my pumping, getting shit done and nap schedule during the day! Then DH gets home and he changes her, feeds her and she is out like a light! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• Options
    Ds is 5 weeks and since we brought him home from nicu about 2weeks old he has had days like that. Some days he will stay awake for hours and other says he will sleep almost the entire day. What else is interesting is that it doesn't seem to correlate with how he sleeps at night.i think it is normal for it to vary. I wouldn't be so concerned with the amount of sleep so much as how LO acts and seems to feel. I'm not a doctor but from personal experience with one VERY fussy, colicky baby(ds1) and one incredibly content, easy going baby(ds2) I would say don't worry at all if LO wants to be awake for awhile!
  • Options
    hordolhordol member
    After 3 days of being wide awake during the day time, yesterday DS finally decided to spend the majority of the day sleeping! I'm guessing now as well that they are related to growth spurts.

Married June 28, 2013
    BFP August 9, 2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"