May 2014 Moms
Options

Breast feeding in public

For STMs or FTMs planning on breast feeding, how did it work in public? I'm thinking of the upcoming summer, and even though I will have a LO, I still plan on doing summer activities but wonder how BF will work. Most places don't have a private place to BF, so when you went places did you just use a blanket? What about outside activities? Having a blanket cover the baby might be too hot. We are going on 2 vacations later in the summer, and still want to be able to do things and not have to constantly worry about finding a place to BF. I'm sure I'm overthinking it and will figure it out, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Re: Breast feeding in public

• Options
    As a ftm I never nursed in public (too modest) I would go out to the car, etc.

As a stm I will probably nurse in public with a cover. I can't stop doing things with DS just because DD needs to eat and I can't stop feeding her...so nursing in public it is.

You don't have to use a cover if you don't want to - completely up to you.

As for when it's hot out, just use a light muslin blanket like an A&A blanket.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can get cotton covers that have a nice structured rim/band at the top to allow for air flow (and so you can see baby). This is what I used with DD1 anytime I was in public.
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I've heard a baby wearing wrap like a Moby is great for BFing in public. You can just shift it slightly to get a boob out, and your basically already covered by the baby and wrap.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    My sister in law recommended using light weight infinity scarves. They're smaller and easy to carry along with you/wear. I'm definitely going try them.
  • Options
    You can definitely use any lightweight cover/swaddle blanket/scarves, etc. to cover up if you feel the need to. Most of the time as a FTM I just did it in the car or dressing room if those were available and tried to plan (as best I could) an outing around his eating schedule. This go round, I'll probably do that again if it's just me and the baby and then NIP when I have my toddler with us. I have a ring sling that I'll more than likely use on outings for coverage.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    XathXath member
    With DS1 I used a Hooter Hider. With this guy I've only used a cover in front of my Dad. I've lost all other modesty. I nursed him in Target yesterday sans cover. The only person who noticed was a lady who walked by and congratulated me.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yeah those hooter hiders or udder covers are nice. They have a strap that goes around your neck and helps keep them up when your LO gets wiggly too. Nursing in summer is hot, not gonna lie, no matter what. But you do what you gotta do. NIP is no big deal and, after a few months of practice, most people won't even notice what you're doing. No need to hide!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I never breastfed in public, but the women I've been with in public used a lightweight blanket.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    awisern said:
    As a ftm I never nursed in public (too modest) I would go out to the car, etc. As a stm I will probably nurse in public with a cover. I can't stop doing things with DS just because DD needs to eat and I can't stop feeding her...so nursing in public it is.

This.

• Options
    Thanks! I'll buy one of those covers. I'm not worried about what people think but I also don't want my boobs hanging out for all to see.
  • Options
    I'm going with some cheap lightweight infinity scarves I found at world market. When un-doubled up I can cover my upper chest no problem any they look cute with maxi skirts and tank tops which is pretty much all I plan on wearing.
    BabyName Tickerimage
  • Options
    Aden and Anais blankets work well. They are big, light, and breathable. I NIP with #1 and will do so again this time.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Options
    mmksmmks member
    I hated my nursing cover and plan to sell it. I'll just use A&A blankets like PP suggested if I cover at all.
    I really only needed to cover around 4-5 months when my son began to be aware of his surroundings and would pull off the boob to look around. So fun during letdown and I'd have milk squirting everywhere!

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    I also used A&A blankets with DD - nice and lightweight.  As I bf in public more with her, I didn't care if anyone got a glimpse of a nipple while she was latching or whatnot.  For me, once I had a hungry kid, no one else mattered to me.  I just wanted to get the kid fed.  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a nursing cover that I used, but after a few months, I stopped especially since LO was always grabbing at it. I wore a nursing tank under my shirts and you couldn't see much anyway (boobs weren't super huge) so no one ever saw much of anything.
                                         my blog - cheese & cheesecake

Me: 31, DH: 34, Married 5/29/05
    BFP #1: 6/22/10, EDD 3/6/11, DS born 2/25/11 @ 38w5d
    BFP #2: 7/27/13, EDD 4/9/14, CP 8/3/13
    BFP #3: 8/31/13, EDD 5/10/13, DD born med-free 5/9/14 @ 39w6d 
  • Options
    Im a ftm and I will bf in public. I will try and plan around feedings but I know that won't always work out so I will just have a nursing cover
  • Options

I'm a FTM and i plan to feed my kid when he's hungry as long as i can find a place to sit and do it. i definitely don't plan to hide away somewhere. i bought a cover already, though i haven't taken it out of the package yet in case breastfeeding were to not work out for us for some reason.

i don't plan on whipping my bare boob out in public, but i think it's kinda sad that some women feel the need to hide away somewhere private just to fee their baby. anybody that has a problem with a woman breastfeeding in public is the one with the issue and can screw.

I wish I could've been confident, but I was one of those women and my son was hungry all the time, so I stayed home a lot, and nursed in the car a lot if I was out when he was hungry.  My boobs are huge, so a lot of the "this is how you nurse discreetly in public" advice seems useless for me.  (There is no way his head would've covered my boob.) 

This time, I'm planning to wear nursing tanks under my shirt and pull up the shirt and pull down the opening in the tank and hope for the best.  The covers usually seem really bright and attention-grabby to me, although I have one in case I need it.
  • Options
    I used a nursing cover last time In the beginning but as time went by I got used to it and could do it sans cover without much being seen. In our area everyone NIP and it is really acceptable so I never had an uncomfortable feeling. If your a first time mom try not to stress it gets easier as time goes on.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I got one of those free/just pay shipping covers and it actually seems decent. I'm sure for the same price you could get a prettier scarf or light blanket but I like the band to put around my neck so it doesn't fall down and the wire at the top.
  • Options
    I'm actually not bothered by the idea of nursing in public uncovered. I think I'd be prone to be more modest if I were nursing around friends and family who know me... Don't really care if a stranger catches a nip slip, but I'll probably cover up in front of cousins, colleagues, etc.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I try to throw an A&A blanket over but if its windy or baby kicks it off, oh well. No one has ever said anything to me about nursing in public and I have done it a lot. In restaurants at the table, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    I'm actually not bothered by the idea of nursing in public uncovered. I think I'd be prone to be more modest if I were nursing around friends and family who know me... Don't really care if a stranger catches a nip slip, but I'll probably cover up in front of cousins, colleagues, etc.
    ^ This.  I'm shy about nursing in front of people I don't know too, but if my parents both come to stay with me to try and help out it'll be tricky because my dad couldn't stay in the room when I was nursing Benjamin.  He didn't mean to, but he made me so self conscious.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The first few weeks I didn't nurse in public. I planned outings around DD's feeding. I would have just enough time between nursing sessions to go have lunch with a friend. But as you get better at breastfeeding you get more comfortable with the idea of doing it in public. I've nursed DD in countless restaurants, bars, park benches and in front of my friends. I never bothered with a cover, I think they attract more attention to what you're doing. I just like to layer a nursing tank under my shirt, like that I can pull my shirt up covering up my cleavage and the nursing tank still covers my belly. There's really nothing exposed for people to see, unless DD unlatches and flashes my nipple but then it only takes a second to cover back up. No way I would go out of my way to find a private place with a screaming hungry baby, you're better off nursing right then before LO becomes hysterical.
  • Options
    HallilHallil member
    I started out with a cover but eventually just went without for the most part. Sometimes I was wearing her anyway (nursing was easy then) or in the truck (also easy) or I just did what needed to be done and fed my kid. Other than a few surprised or dirty looks I don't recall getting any nasty comments, I did however get a few comments over the 2 years from people that were encouraging or supportive.
  • Options
    I am buying a nursing poncho from this Etsy store:

Looks pretty lightweight and can also be worn as a scarf. They have different colors and patterns all the time.
  • Options
    tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member
    I bought a 'pashmama'.  It was really lightweight and worked as a scarf too.

I ended up rarely using a cover after the first couple of weeks.  I needed a nipple shield, and after it fell to the dirty floor in the mall and needed to be sanitized before I could feed DD, I gave up on it.

I went with the tank top under my shirt to cover my belly from that point on.

• Options
    I will be using a cover and feeding my baby when and where ever he needs to be feed. I don't feel like I need to go into any other room or leave to BF in my car if I have a cover. There are so many cute covers out there now most people do t notice what your doing any way.
  • Options
    STM - soon to be Third time mom and after my first i gave up being covered. I love the nursing tanks under a t-shirt and there was no exposure. I thought it would have taken me longer to get comfy second time around but it was instant. I was nursing in front of my FIL almost immediately and first time around I insisted on being covered around him! :) Do what makes you feel most comfortable and connected to your baby. A&A blankets are excellent covers bc they are soooo big.
  • Options
    Once I was comfortable nursing in general, the covers just seemed to draw more attention. You can really do it with almost no boob exposed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

You can get cotton covers that have a nice structured rim/band at the top to allow for air flow (and so you can see baby). This is what I used with DD1 anytime I was in public.

This is what I have used and it worked great.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• Options
    I don't feel comfortable doing it in public, but I have no problems with other people doing it. We always see breastfeeding Mothers in Panera more than any other place we go. My husband doesn't like the idea of me doing it in public either. Looks like I will be stuck in for the whole first month until I'm allowed to pump.

I do want to order one of the smock covers or the scarf ones in case I decide to do it anyway. I love the ones on etsy and they are much more affordable. Wish I had the time to make one because they are definitely not hard to make yourself.
  • Options
    ^ This.  I'm shy about nursing in front of people I don't know too, but if my parents both come to stay with me to try and help out it'll be tricky because my dad couldn't stay in the room when I was nursing Benjamin.  He didn't mean to, but he made me so self conscious.
    Yah my family isn't super open about their bodies. I wouldn't want to have my mother in the room during delivery simply because I can't imagine being around her with my body so exposed. No way I could nurse in front of my dad - HAWKWARD!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    This is probably so contradictory but I wouldn't BF in front of my family, I would go to a private room. But out in public, I would probably whip it out and not think twice. 

I want to try to master it discreetly without a cover, as I feel we shouldn't have to cover up unless one personally wants to. But I might keep a light blanket in my bag in case, but I would never cover their face, just fold it down to cover what others see.
  • Options
    I don't feel comfortable doing it in public, but I have no problems with other people doing it. We always see breastfeeding Mothers in Panera more than any other place we go. My husband doesn't like the idea of me doing it in public either. Looks like I will be stuck in for the whole first month until I'm allowed to pump. I do want to order one of the smock covers or the scarf ones in case I decide to do it anyway. I love the ones on etsy and they are much more affordable. Wish I had the time to make one because they are definitely not hard to make yourself.

I hate to break it to you but pumping isn't really gonna solve anything. You can pump at home to bring a bottle with you when you go out. But in order to maintain your supply and for your comfort you would have to pump again when you give LO said bottle. Pumping in public is way more awkward than nursing in public, IMO.
  • Options
    I didn't read the responses, so I'm sure this is redundant. But an A&A was all I needed. I feel like a regular nursing cover is far more conspicuous.

Also loved the tank under a regular top. I was much more uncomfortable with exposed belly than boob.

Lastly, the fact that NIP is the acronym for nurse in public makes me giggle every time and is like my favorite thing ever.

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I never used a cover. I practiced at home and looked in mirrors. So little is shown. I always wore a tank (undercover mama style so I could have a real bra). So literally the only thing out was just enough boob for baby. Then my top shirt I had lifted up settled over everything and my stomach was covered. I nursed one time across a table from a friend's boyfriend and he had literally no clue what I was doing until I popped her off and burped her. I personally feel like a cover brings more attention to what you're doing. I nursed for 8.5 months anywhere and everywhere we were and not a single word was said to me. But I also seem to have a bitch face so...

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"