July 2013 Moms

c.p.W.: Do you call your m-i-l Mom and/or your f-i-l Dad?

edited April 2014 in July 2013 Moms

c.p.W.: Do you call your m-i-l Mom and/or your f-i-l Dad? 152 votes

I call my m-i-l Mom and my f-i-l Dad.
7% 12 votes
I call my m-i-l Mom, but my f-i-l something other than Dad.
1% 2 votes
I call my f-i-l Dad, but my m-i-l something other than Mom.
0% 1 vote
I call my m-i-l Mom, but my f-i-l isn't in the picture.
0% 0 votes
I call my f-i-l Dad, but my m-i-l isn't in the picture.
0% 0 votes
I call them both something other than Mom and Dad.
86% 132 votes
I don't have any in-laws.
3% 5 votes

Re: c.p.W.: Do you call your m-i-l Mom and/or your f-i-l Dad?

• I call them both by their first name.
  • I call them other names..we don't talk to them or about them much though
  • Loading the player...
  • I call(ed) them both by their first names. FIL passed in August, though.
  • I call them both by their first name.

This

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We call them their first names too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Mom and Dad here. But the step parents are first names, since that's what DH does.
  • fabkfabk member
    First names
  • First names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Super Special Snowflake: I use their first names. :))

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I also use their first names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KTZ17KTZ17 member
    I call my MIL by her first name but my FIL "Pa" because that's what my husband calls him. They're divorced, so I don't feel bad calling one something more intimate than the other. Also I'm confused by what my FIL prefers to be called. He has nicknames that don't seem to relate to his name. For my mil, I have my own mom so I'm not calling her mami. And she annoys me.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    imageimage
  • First names.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
  • First names. His paternal grandma is the only grandparent alive and I alway calls her grandma.
    Half the time DH calls his own mother by her
    first name. She responds faster to that than mom.

• I call them by their first names but I wish I called them mom and dad.
    I love them. :x

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • First names. But they are also PITA and not very "family like"
  • First names. I've always thought it was strange to call anyone mom or dad that isn't your mom or dad. I do call my SO's grandmother granny, though, because everyone else does and it just fits.
  • FIL is Ray. MIL died long before I met Mr. Vals.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• First names when we are with them, but we have less than polite names for them at other times.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SMac85SMac85 member
    My inlaws get offended if I don't call them mom and dad. My husband uses first names for my parents
    photo 3dcc1df8-8755-401b-b56e-15712e9fb0c0_zps92b14273.jpg
    Matteo 08/02/2011 Cruz 06/19/2013

BabyFruit Ticker

• MIL passed away before I met DH and I've never addressed my FIL as any name. He doesn't really speak English though, so we don't really talk other than " hi, how are you?" DH's grandparents are Mima and Pipo because that's what they are to everyone. DH calls my parents by their first names or makes up random nicknames for them.

• I call them by their first names but I wish I called them mom and dad.
    I love them. :x

@fieldpetal - have you asked them about calling them mom/dad or just tried doing it?

They said I can call them whatever I want and feel comfortable with. I call them mom and dad in my head sometimes... Just haven't quite felt comfortable enough to say it out loud yet. My SIL doesn't and she's been their DIL a lot longer...maybe that's why. I dodge it by calling them Grandpa and Mimi.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • They have nicknames that everyone calls them in their language. I never call them their first names...I did once and it seemed really awkward.

Bonus: 

• First names for MIL, FIL, and their respective partners. My parents want DH to call them Mom and Dad, but he thinks it is weird and refuses.
  • I call my MIL mom, but when I'm speaking to other people outside DHs family I call her by her first name otherwise they confuse my mom and his LoL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Surprise BFP on 11/02/12 EDD 07/06/13 --> Express wedding on 12/29/2012 --> G was born on 07/15/13
    *Multicultural family raising a multilingual toddler: Spanish, Italian, Dutch and English

• First names or Grandma and Papa. It never dawned on me to call in in-laws mom and dad. I only recently started using mom and dad for my own parents. I always used their first names.
  • jeng100jeng100 member
    Absolutely not. I call them by their first names, or Nona and Papa now that they are grandparents.
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • spb27spb27 member
    I only call them mom/dad or grandma/grandpa although I mostly do it when I need to get their attention. My mil was upset that right after we got married I wasn't automatically saying "hi mom" when I spoke to her on the phone or walked into her house. Of course I don't do that with my own parents. I just say hi. So crazy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"