Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Dreading the Diaper Change!

Hi everyone!  I know this isn't the first time this topic has been posted, but I need some support or suggestions!  My son is almost 19 months now and he has developed a complete hatred for diaper changes, specifically the poopy ones.  He started to not want to lay back at all and would just lock his arms to an almost sitting up position.  Now he cries like we are absolutely torturing him.  And once it's all over, he's back to his happy, playful self.  I have managed to start changing his pee pee diapers while he's standing up.  He doesn't hate that at all.  Has anyone mastered changing the poopy diaper standing up too?  I guess that's my next step before the potty training begins.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Dreading the Diaper Change!

• Options
    Agree with PP above.  There are times that DD just does not want to pause her playing to get her diaper changed and I'm like, hello you stink!  I have given her toys to play with or a tube of lotion to hold and I usually sing a song and just try to go as quickly as possible.  But there have also been times when I've just had to say to her sternly there is no other option, you are getting your diaper changed.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    lana22lana22 member
    dh is more of the play games/make him giggle. i am pretty business and explain that the diaper needs to be changed, and it's happening now. as they get older i will give little choices, like changing table or floor, but then it's holding him down if need be.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the tough love camp as well... if she doesn't want to lay down, I put my leg over her arms/chest and hold her there.  Diapers need to be changed, such is life.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    maryxc1maryxc1 member
    Yep, I would just pin him down and get it over with. Luckily, that phase only lasted a few months.
  • Options
    Not to brag, but I have indeed mastered the standing-up chasing-him-around-the-house poopy diaper change. Are you really wanting tips? You gotta scoop off the bulk of the poop with the diaper itself as you remove it. Then just have a few wipes on the ready for cleaning up the leftovers. *Not recommended when company is over.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"