Baby Names

Zoey vs. Eliza

jesstellinajesstellina member
edited May 2014 in Baby Names
I posted a couple weeks ago with my uncertainty about Zoey as a name for our LO, who is due today!! I got some great feedback and suggestions. The main opinion expressed was to spell it as "Zoe" instead. I still prefer the "Zoey" spelling, but I'm also still questioning the name.

One that someone mentioned that I really liked was Eliza, and I've been able to make a little bit of headway getting DH and DD to consider it. They're pretty stuck on Zoey.

One thing hanging me up with Eliza is that there's a little girl in DD's church class with the name, albeit spelled a different [hideous] way, Iliyza. She'd be about 3-4 yrs older than our Eliza, but it still could get a little confusing.

Which do you guys prefer? DD1 is Audrey Elizabeth. Our last name is 2 syllables, starts with Y.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Zoey vs. Eliza 156 votes

Zoey
16% 26 votes
Eliza
79% 124 votes
show results
3% 6 votes

Re: Zoey vs. Eliza

• Eliza hands down.

Sometimes, people have the same names, you know?

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I can't even decide between the two to vote, because they were my top 2 favorites for DD. DH ultimately vetoed Eliza but said he would do Zoey if we spelled it with a y--so, I compromised and did so. Really, really love both names!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'm clearly biased, but Eliza by a mile. Audrey and Eliza is a lovely, classic sib set.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I really don't like either, sorry.
    ~Married 12.09.12~
    ~NTNP #1 since 11.14 - Current Cycle: 2~
    imageimage

• Eliza for sure!

Carter Robert 7.18.08 | Brynn Sophia 5.24.10 | Reid Joseph 9.10.12 | Emerson Mae 1.27.14

• DaisyZHDaisyZH member
    I have a Zoey so obviously we love it! It was a last minute decision so we chose to use the "y" at the end thinking otherwise it would be mispronounced, but that wasn't the case at all. Instead everyone leaves off the "y" so if I had to do it over again I'd just use Zoe.
    I do love Zoey though, and either way it's spelled I think it's fun, spunky and pretty.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I agree that Audrey and Eliza make an adorable classic pair!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm a bit biased to Eliza too but I think Eliza "grows" better to an adult name than Zoey does.
  • Zoe > Eliza > Zoey 

N14 Nov. Siggy: CELEBRATION!

image image
    TTC since 2011
    Aug. - Sept. 2013 - dIUIs = BFNs
    January 2014 - IVF = 3 freezer babies
    March 2014 - FET of AA and AB blast = BFP! Twins! 
    Nov. 7, 2014 - Wilhelmina "Willa" Suzanne (4lb 14oz) and Ari Jose (6lb 4oz) were born via CS
    image image

image image image image 

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • capuletcapulet member
    bromios said:

I voted for Eliza because spelling Zoe as Zoey is just unnecessary torture of a beautiful Greek name.

Yeah, I don't have all the linguistic expertise @bromios does, but I do know Greek. Zoe is the Greek word for life. To me, spelling Zoe as Zoe is like spelling life as liyfe. The y is just as nonsensical in Greek as it would be in English. Eliza is just fine, and correctly spelled.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Eliza is miles beyond Zoey
  • DaisyZH said:
    I have a Zoey so obviously we love it! It was a last minute decision so we chose to use the "y" at the end thinking otherwise it would be mispronounced, but that wasn't the case at all. Instead everyone leaves off the "y" so if I had to do it over again I'd just use Zoe.
    I do love Zoey though, and either way it's spelled I think it's fun, spunky and pretty.
    This is a great point worth considering from @DaisyZH about spelling
  • Zoe > Eliza > Zoey 

This exactly.
  • I LOVE Eliza! I like Zoe, and the y on the end wouldn't bother me except for what the previous poster pointed out about your last name beginning in Y. But Eliza is phenomenal, and I like it much better when paired with Audrey!
  • @VineyardMel - I swear, the Baby Name Board has THE CUTEST kids :).  Love seeing baby Rhett in your siggy!
    Thank you, @hisgirlfirday929! He's already so much bigger than that now. He looks JUST like she did as a newborn. :)
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like Zoey slightly more but agree with others that Eliza pairs beautifully with Audrey:)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"