Working Moms

Mom - the Breadwinner

Need some tips from other working moms.  I’m a mom of a 1 year old. We plan on trying for our second child soon.  I’d like for them to be close in age.  I’m a working mom, and I’m the breadwinner.  If it weren’t for my salary,  we would not be able to afford a house,  vacations etc.  My husband works hard, but not as hard as me.  It’s just the way it is in our household.  I have days that I feel great, being a working mom, and “balancing” it all. Other days, I’m a wreck, and I argue with my husband, because I dream of staying at home.  I feel guilty I’m not always there for her, etc.  How do you other moms handle this? I need someone to help lift up my spirits. 

Re: Mom - the Breadwinner

• I can somewhat relate.  I am the main breadwinner.  DH makes a very good salary but our lifestyle is predicated on my income.  After years of struggling with that issue, it dawned on me one day - we live the way we do because I want to live this way.  DH would be perfectly happy to live in a smaller house, take less expensive vacations, not have nice things etc.; it’s ME that really wants those things.  DH has always said (and I believe him too) that he will “down-size” in a heartbeat if that is what will make me happy.  It also helps that DH is very helpful around the house, shares the parenting responsibilities equally, and is working hard in getting his graduate degree to further his career.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We also sat down and came up with a very detailed financial plan so that in a few years’ time, if I wanted to, I can take on a less well-paying job without significantly compromising our lifestyle.  

My DS is almost 2 and although I miss him during the day, I don’t feel guilty that I’m not there with him every minute of every day.  He is learning lots by being with different people. 

The grass is always greener on the other side.  I think you should sit down with your DH and explain how you feel, see if there’s something you can do to make life easier/happier for you (e.g. work less days/hours) and come up with a long-term plan.

• Loading the player...
  • I am the breadwinner, and I am totally cool with it. Why would I feel guilty? I sure I would enjoy staying home if we could have the same lifestyle and know we would be ok for retirement. That's just not reality. Plus I really love my job and find my work very fulfilling, exciting, and challenging. Raising kids is fulfilling, exciting and challenging, too. Win-win.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • shannmshannm member
    Do you equate a lower salary with him not working as hard or do you really mean he doesn't work as hard?  
    If it is the latter, does he have opportunity to change that and take on more responsibility either at home or at work to bring in some more cash to take the pressure off of you a bit more?

• My husband earns 25% of what I do, but he works just as hard. He majored in a field that he finds very interesting and rewarding but that traditionally pays very little. And was lucky enough to get a job in that field. I knew when I married him that this was the situation and I agreed that fulfillment was more important than salary.

Sadly, I did pretty much the same thing, so we don't make nearly what you'd think from that 25% bit. But we're comfortable with our choices and our respective contributions to the family.

I have never wanted to stay home, so no advice there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited May 2014
    traveltheworldamy052006's statement about the people who are truly happiest being the ones who have a choice - that has been my experience as well. 

I am a FTM who hasn't returned to work from maternity leave yet (though my return to work is right around the corner), and I know it will be hard to be away from my LO during the workday (I've cried just thinking about it). However, career success is also important to me, and I know that working allows me to help provide a financially stable and secure household for my family, which will include varied and enriching experiences, travel opportunities, etc. for my LO (so my working benefits him in both the short and long term).
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ss265ss265 member

OP, on the days where you dream of staying home, did something happen at work that made you feel that way? I am wondering if there is something going on with your career that makes you want to stay home or if it's a feeling you always have. And was your husband always "less hard-working" or is this a recent change? If he was always like that, then I hate to say it but you knew what you were getting into when you married him.

My husband is less ambitious than me and I knew that when we got married and I was ok with it. He actually helps keep me grounded because if it weren't for him, work would easily take over my life. I do make more than him currently but I do not consider myself to be the breadwinner - I feel like we are equal contributors to our household (he makes good money, I just happen to make more right now - this wasn't always the case). Regarding the guilt of leaving my LO, I know that for me, I need to work to preserve my sense of identity and I know that I am a better Mom because I work. Like PP, I feel like I don't really have a Mom gene. I love my kid (and soon to be kids) dearly but I also know that I need to balance the time I spend with them with the time I spend on myself and my career.

It also helps that I am comfortable with the care DS receives while I am away from him. He gets socialization with other children at DC and he learns more than I would be able to teach him if I stay at home with him.

• I am the breadwinner and insurance provider.  My DH owns his own company and it has grown/ramped up every year, which is great - he works hard at it and it's wonderful, but the salary isn't quite there yet.  I dream of not working full time.  I am not fulfilled in my work/career and really dream of working PT or working 100% with DH.

I'm going to work really hard over the next year (literally May to May) to pay off all debt (bulk is my student loan) so that I can go to PT or work for him.  DS won't be in daycare as of this fall so I'm hoping that helps us pay off more.  See my post from last week or so "Feelings about work" - I can totally relate and I never thought I'd feel this way.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"