Breastfeeding
Options

Plugged duct/mastitis

I have been BFing at home and pumping at work for the last 6 months. One day last week when I was pumping, blood started coming out on one side. I've never had that happen before. I had a little soreness on that side. I went to the doctor and they send a sample of my blood to the lab. They told me yesterday that nothing grew in the sample and my doctor would look over the results to see what to do from here. It could be a few days, so while I wait I thought maybe someone here may have had this experience or heard of it.

I haven't found any blood since that day early last week. That breast has been really sore, but no redness (and my doctor said he didn't feel any lumps). Yesterday that side was really achey and this morning, I have soreness in one of the duct areas, but no redness. After pumping, that one duct doesn't feel empty and hurts when I touch that area.

I don't think I have a milk blister, but I do have a white spot where the milk comes out (which I've had for about a month). My doctor saw it and didn't say anything about it. And thoughts? I am wondering if it could be a plugged duct. Everything I read, said that blood coming out would probably be mastitis, but wouldn't that show up in my test results? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Plugged duct/mastitis

• Options
    I did not have mastitis, but I did have a clogged milk duct. I never bled from that breastfeeding but holy cow the pain was unbearable. It was unlike any pain I had ever experienced. It was beyond tenderness. There was a definite red bump in my nipple that was extremely sensitive. Mastitis, from what I recall, involves flu like symptoms. I don't know what it could be, but that wasn't my experience with a plugged duct. Good luck and I hope it goes away soon!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had mastitis last month and you would definitely know it's mastitis. The breast is red very tender, I had red streaks all over the breast and ran a fever. My entire body ached and it felt like I had the flu with a sore breast.

I did have blood once with tenderness but it was a very small cut on my nipple caused by my LO, it was sore and it felt like it was getting infected but I kept it clean and applied antibiotic ointment when not nursing. It cleared up in a few days.

GL I know how painful anything dealing with the breasts is.
    image image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I certainly hope it's nothing serious, but with bloody discharge, you should get a mammogram.  Especially if it's a sudden change after months of BF / pumping with no other symptoms of mastitis. I'm probably being overly careful, but it isn't worth taking a chance.    
    TTC #1 12/2009
    BFP #1 1/2010, M/C 6 weeks
    BFP #2 6/2010, DD lost to
    congenital heart diseasewe are heartbroken.

TTC #2 4/2011, diagnosed MTHFR, FVL
    Four natural cycles BFN; Clomid IUI BFN; Follistim IUI BFN;
    1/2012 IVF #1 BFN
    4/2012 FET BFP #3
    5/2012 7w1d u/s: anembryonic demise; M/C @ 8w.
    6/2012 found Stage II/III endo on laparoscopy, removed w/ laser.
    8/2012 IVF #2 epic fail: no viable embryos.

Vacation, break, second opinions, on to new RE.
    1/2013 Surprise chemical pregnancy BFP #4 (break cycle), IVF #3 postponed.
    2/2013 TI w/ hormonal support, prednisone, aspirin, Lovenox, acupuncture gave us a miracle BFP #5!
    Heartbeat on U/S at 6w1d!
    Baby,please stay!!
    Our miracle baby boy arrived 10/2013!  We are so in love!!

10/2014 Surprise BFP #6
    Our second daughter arrived in May 2015!  We are so grateful!  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    @MJC1116‌ I think I have a blocked duct now- ouch. When did it get better and how did you treat it? Thanks !!
    Me 36/DH 46 Me: Low AMH (.21) DOR, mild endo; Started seeing RE 11/12
    Jan-March '13 3 IUIs Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    April '13 IVF 1 MDLF converted to 4th IUI due to 3 runaway follicles! BFN
    July/Aug '13 IVF 1.2 Long Lupron = 7R, 6F, 2T= BFP!!!
    Beta 1=512, Beta 2=1,368 Beta 3= 4,128
    It's a boy!!!!
    SUA, GD
    EDD 4/26/14

He's Here! Arrived 4/15/14!!!!

September 2015 - FET with remaining embryos
    Twins! EDD: 6/14/15

PAIF/SAIF Everyone welcome!
  • Options
    MJC1116MJC1116 member
    @phillyj33, I'm SO sorry! It's awful!! You have to nurse, nurse, nurse. It's painful, I know. I would dig my toes into the floor and bite down on a towel whenever I had to nurse on that side. After feedings, I'd also pump that breast, too. I also had DH go out and get me these nursing heat packs that you could either freeze or heat in the microwave. Those helped a lot too. I want to say it was noticeably better in a few days and gone within the week. Feel better soon!!!
    DH & I: 29
    TTC #1 4/2009 -  DD 2/5/10
    TTC #2 since October 2011
    2IF issues
    7/2013 - IUI #1: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFN
    8/2013 - IUI #2: 50 units Follistim +  Ovidrel  = BFP! Beta #1 (12 dpiui) 8/21: 45  Beta #2 (16 dpiui) 8/26: 301 Beta #3 (21 dpiui) 8/30: 1,929. 1st Ultrasound 9/4 - One perfect sac. 2nd Ultrasound 9/13 - Heartbeat at 124 bpm! Anniversary  

• Options
    @MJC1116‌ thanks! I am exclusively pumping right now while we work on latch issues so I have been pumping more often and applying heat beforehand but I am ready to scream!!! I am so worried it will turn into an infection as it is not emptying even with pumping!
    Sorry you went through it and thanks for the advice :)
    Me 36/DH 46 Me: Low AMH (.21) DOR, mild endo; Started seeing RE 11/12
    Jan-March '13 3 IUIs Clomid + Trigger = BFN
    April '13 IVF 1 MDLF converted to 4th IUI due to 3 runaway follicles! BFN
    July/Aug '13 IVF 1.2 Long Lupron = 7R, 6F, 2T= BFP!!!
    Beta 1=512, Beta 2=1,368 Beta 3= 4,128
    It's a boy!!!!
    SUA, GD
    EDD 4/26/14

He's Here! Arrived 4/15/14!!!!

September 2015 - FET with remaining embryos
    Twins! EDD: 6/14/15

PAIF/SAIF Everyone welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"