Parenting
Options

TN can jail women for pregnancy outcomes

Re: TN can jail women for pregnancy outcomes

• Options
    Doesn't it seem like this is setting up a desperate situation for pregnant women? Treatment options aren't available to everyone, and addiction is a serious disease that can take someone years to overcome.

I imagine that women in this situation might be willing to make some awful decisions in order to avoid jail time. Abortion, avoiding prenatal care altogether, and god knows what else. This is scary and dangerous.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    NarwhalBaconNarwhalBacon member
    edited May 2014
    I'm personally not offended by a person with a drug problem choosing abortion.  UO: I think that it is probably better.

I agree 100%. I would much rather a woman get an abortion than do drugs during pregnancy. Especially if it's unlikely that she could get help early in pregnancy, whether it be due to lack of funds or treatment facilities. Also, withdrawals are fucking hell to go through, I know this firsthand. I would imagine that kind of stress also isn't good for a fetus.

• Options

I'm personally not offended by a person with a drug problem choosing abortion.  UO: I think that it is probably better.

I agree 100%. I would much rather a woman get an abortion than do drugs during pregnancy. Especially if it's unlikely that she could get help early in pregnancy, whether it be due to lack of funds or treatment facilities. Also, withdrawals are fucking hell to go through, I know this firsthand. I would imagine that kind of stress also isn't good for a fetus.

How easy it to get an abortion in TN though?

Harry Styles = Life Ruiner

There’s a lightning in your eyes I can't deny
    Then there’s me inside a sinking boat running out of time
    Without you I'll never make it out alive
    But I know, yes, I know we’ll be alright
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    J. 1.14.13 my reason for breathing 
  • Options
    NarwhalBaconNarwhalBacon member
    edited May 2014

I know cut off is 24 weeks and public funding is only provided in cases or life endangerment, rape and incest. I guess the main issues would be money and facility availability. My best friend had an abortion Dec 2013. She had a consultation and 2 days later paid her $500 and had a medical abortion, but we also live within 10 minutes of one of the few abortion providers.
    I know that not everyone is able to get an abortion, I was just saying that it's more favorable than endangering a fetus.
  • Options

I know cut off is 24 weeks and public funding is only provided in cases or life endangerment, rape and incest. I guess the main issues would be money and facility availability. My best friend had an abortion Dec 2013. She had a consultation and 2 days later paid her $500 and had a medical abortion. 
    I know that not everyone is able to get an abortion, I was just saying that it's more favorable than endangering a fetus.

@NarwhalBacon‌ I agree, abortion is preferable in that situation but I was wondering how easily accessible it is. They'd be doubly punished if they wanted to get one and couldn't for whatever reason.

• Options

This is what I was thinking.

I'm not at all opposed to abortion in this or most any other situation, but I have a suspicion that more abprtions are not the goal of the people who are trying to enact this law.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    I mean if a drug addict has $500 for abortion it's probably going to go to more drugs, not the abortion

• Options
    I mean if a drug addict has $500 for abortion it's probably going to go to more drugs, not the abortion
    That's true. Maybe they should consider public funding to include abortions in situations where the fetus is in danger. Unlikely, but that would be great.
  • Options
    MrsBadKat said:
    I'm mostly shocked that Dems voted in favor and Repubs voted against this. Crazy.
    I know, WTAF Dems?
  • Options
    This is terrible. Isn't birth one of the pivotal times when moms are most motivated to make changes?
    So what happens to the baby when mom is arrested - foster care? What if mom has other kids?
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options
    I don't know that much about prenatal drug exposure. But I do think this will cause a rise in abortions, even slightly. All the other things you mentioned are also terrible. I hope it can be repeal or changed to offer drug treatment alternatives. Why did no one suggest that? We'd spend money putting them in jail so why not spend that on rehabilitation? Better outcomes for the mother and baby.

• Options
    I know I didn't mean to be offensive @fredalina‌ and I don't think the others did either. I don't think they should be forced into it but I think it should be an option for them. I was just curious if the laws in TN were strict and if it was pushing women into a corner even more than they are in this situation.

This law is terrible in multiple ways and you've brought up some very scary possibilities. Like I said before, there are much better ways to help everyone in this situation and it should be available to any mother that thinks she needs it. I'm very glad Charlotte was placed with you guys because you're an amazing mom to her but my heart breaks for those babies that aren't "lucky" enough to be removed, placed and adopted by people like you. I know it must be a tough subject for you and I'm sorry if we sounded harsh and uninformed but it isn't a subject that is widely discussed and known about, even within the medical community. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge with us.

• Options
    I have feels on this. I believe you should be reported if your newborn tests positive. I don't think jail is the answer, but you should have to go into treatment especially if you want your child in your custody.

Yes addiction is a disease and a horrible one,but I've witnessed it with different families how hard addiction is on the children.

My anecdote is my aunt adopted my cousin. His birth mom was addicted to cocaine at 16 and her mom as well. My cousin had to go through withdrawals of cocaine and alcohol it was the worst thing ever and devastated my aunt. He is now 18 and while an amazing person he has issues he will have his whole life due to his mom's addiction.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @fredalina, I'm sorry that what was said hit you personally. It's great that Char had a good outcome and has a wonderful family now. I never intended to make it seem that I think all babies born to drug abusers are better off aborted.

My point was that abortion could be a viable option for women addicted to drugs or alcohol. Not only could drug use and withdrawal harm the fetus, but that also means they could be born into an abusive, neglectful home. Not all babies are lucky enough to be adopted/find foster homes and children of abusers are more likely to become abusers. I am an example of that, not because my mom was addicted to drugs (she never did them) but I grew up exposed to an addicted father. Also, women who can't get help that fear jail time may refuse prenatal care, putting themselves and unborn babies in an even worse situation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"