May 2014 Moms
Options

Who's eating their dates?

Anyone else trying to eat 6 dates/day?  I did it every day for a week starting at 36 weeks but I've completely fallen off the bandwagon.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to eat them?  I was thinking about adding them to a smoothie to make them more palatable but I worry it would end up too sickly sweet...  Also, I've heard talk of making date brownies out of them but if anyone has any specific recipes that would be awesome!

Once baby is here, ALL THE CHAMPAGNE will be mine.

Re: Who's eating their dates?

• Options
    My only suggestion is to cut into them first!! We've had some fungus & worm issues with them recently on one of the FB pages.

I had been eating them with tart green apples. Balanced out the sweetness.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Someone on here suggested peanut butter and I find it works well. I put I hunk of PB on each so it takes mostly like PB with a little sweetness. I also like almond butter on them.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took a few days off eating them... Cause bleh! Then I put them in my smoothie. Just make sure NOT to add anything else to sweeten it!! I use frozen fruit, milk and dates. That's it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married Rob May 23rd 2008
    * Munchkin due May 5th 2014 * Getting back on the waiting list for domestic infant adoption May 2015 * Apparently May is our month!

• Options
    I think they're pretty good, but only remember to eat them about every other day.  (Sadly, I'm doing better at eating dates than at taking my vitamins.)

• Options
    I ate 6 dates a day (3 in the morning, 3 in the evening) starting at 36w2d because I was going to be induced at 39 weeks and was willing to try anything for some progress because I was scared of a c-section. I was 3 cm dilated at 36w6d and had the baby at 37w2d. They have me pitocin at the hospital because my contractions were not strong enough (my water had broken) and I went from 5-10 cm in about an hour. Probably a total coincidence, but you never know!

No advice on recipes though, I just ate them as quickly as I could. They don't taste too bad to me, but all I could think was that they look like cockroaches and I couldn't get that thought out of my mind!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I bought some chopped ones that are sugar coated. Much more palatable. I could not do the whole ones. I have been lazy the last couple of days about eating them. I need to get back on the bandwagon.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    Do dates supposedly help induce labor? 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• Options
    My only suggestion is to cut into them first!! We've had some fungus & worm issues with them recently on one of the FB pages. I had been eating them with tart green apples. Balanced out the sweetness.
    Yikes!  Thanks for the heads up.

• Options
    IBackBevoIBackBevo member
    edited April 2014

They don't induce labor but a small study showed they had a lot of benefits like less likely to need to be induced, less likely to have prom, etc. I don't remember all the specifics, though.

• Options
    Jcrewgirl85  Here's some info on the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21280989

• Options
    Jillzy86Jillzy86 member
    edited April 2014
    Just read about eating dates to shorten labor. The only way I've eaten them in the past is wrapped in Bacon and I can't do that everyday so I found some healthier options on Pinterest.

Here is one I want to try
    https://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/2014/01/27/key-lime-coconut-energy-bites/
  • Options
    I smear a bit of cream cheese on each one as I eat them. The creaminess of the cream cheese really mellows out the sweetness of the dates. I buy Honey Dates which a really large, so I eat about 4-6 per day.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    Eating them plain but forgot to yesterday. They Are Part Of My Breakfast Routine, which also includes oatmeal. Not sure why my phone decided to capitalize that last sentence. Oh well.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    Yeah the taste isn't bad it's that they looks SO much like cockroaches!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married Rob May 23rd 2008
    * Munchkin due May 5th 2014 * Getting back on the waiting list for domestic infant adoption May 2015 * Apparently May is our month!

• Options
    undercoverst I just made a smoothie with today's dates and it is AMAZING!  Looks like I'll be having a smoothie every day from now on until baby shows up.

Also, for the meat lovers out there, this recipe looks intriguing:

• Options
    I'm eating 4 a day and then a Lara bar. I smear peanut butter or Nutella on them to help with the taste.

imageimageimage

• Options
    It is just an observational study (not a controlled trial) but it can't hurt, right?
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I attempted it last week, then gave up.  I made a vanilla date shake.  Tons of recipes on pinterest for shakes/smoothies with dates.

• Options
    Just bought some larabars. Got the peanut butter cookie flavor and coconut flavor. Wal-Mart didn't have cherry pie. :(

• Options
    I looked on Pinterest and I found this a while back haven't tried it. And I have not tried dates I'm scared lol
  • Options
    It is just an observational study (not a controlled trial) but it can't hurt, right?
    In my birthing class the Doula teaching it said dates are shown to lessen the amount of time women are in labour (I think study showed 6 hours vs. an average of 12 for non-date eaters). I guess they help make your uterus more "efficient" so your contractions do more with each one. I find them very tasty, so even if they do nothing, it's a yummy snack!

@jenb_99 Lara bars are an amazing suggestion! I'm going to get some of those this week - just to switch it up.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    I'm eating them, I love them! This is the first time I've had whole dates, and they do look like roaches but they are so good! I'm almost out, so I've been mixing the chopped dates with my cereal.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
  • Options
    6 a day and haven't missed a day I love them
  • Options
    After this talk of mold and worms, I'm getting turned off eating them.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Options
    delatldelatl member
    I'm eating them, hate them. I've been chopping them up and adding them to an ice cream sundae every night. But it's really too much sugar to be eating every day so I think I may just stop for a while. Next week, when I'm on maternity leave, I'll probably make some date recipes--there are a ton on Pinterest, as others have said.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I've started making mine into breakfast energy bars. Also found I like them in a spinach salad with sliced strawberries. Here is a link for the simple recipe for the energy bars! 

Don't really care for them plain they are a bit mushy. The texture and sweetness does me in lol so I love all the creative ways to eat them on here.
  • Options
    HallilHallil member
    I was rushing through the grocery store and thought I bought dates, nope, bought prunes instead. So...that's how "good" I've been at taking them.
  • Options
    I have a smoothie every night after work- blend dates, frozen strawberries, vanilla yogurt, water and ice--- delish and tastes like a milkshake.

I couldn't eat them whole- the cockroach appearance makes me gag.
  • Options

IBackBevo said:

So I just tried a Larabar (peanut butter cookie flavor) and all I can say is: Yum!!!! This is so much better than eating whole dates! It says on the package that 1 bar = 1/4 cup of fruit. Since the only ingredients are dates, peanuts and sea salt, I am thinking that 1 bar = 1/4 cup of dates. According to Google, that equals 5-6 dates!!!

Awesome. I was going to ask the equivalency between Larabars and dates. I had 3 dates this morning with breakfast and bought a bunch of Larabars to try out different flavors. So I figure a few dates in the morning and a Larabar as an afternoon snack would work best.

I am still going to try to do some of the chopped dates plus a Larabar. I think that should more than cover my bases.

I am not doing whole dates, though. I just can't stomach them. NOPE. NOPE. NOPE.

• Options

IBackBevo said:

So I just tried a Larabar (peanut butter cookie flavor) and all I can say is: Yum!!!! This is so much better than eating whole dates! It says on the package that 1 bar = 1/4 cup of fruit. Since the only ingredients are dates, peanuts and sea salt, I am thinking that 1 bar = 1/4 cup of dates. According to Google, that equals 5-6 dates!!!

Awesome. I was going to ask the equivalency between Larabars and dates. I had 3 dates this morning with breakfast and bought a bunch of Larabars to try out different flavors. So I figure a few dates in the morning and a Larabar as an afternoon snack would work best.

This is exactly what I do. FX something is happening in my nether regions!

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"