Stay at Home Moms

Anyone clench their teeth??

I randomly clench my jaw at night when I'm stressed. I know I did it bc my jaw will hurt and I usually get a toothache/soreness in my molar. Well I must have been at it the other night bc my tooth has been throbbing and sore since the weekend. The dentist said to ice it and take ibuprofen but it's not getting better. I even started wearing my night guard to make sure I stop clenching. Anyone very deal with this? It hurts and I want to eat.. :(

Check out my blog ---->  http://minismama.com/

Re: Anyone clench their teeth??

• This makes me feel better. I just went to the dentist last week because my mom has been hurting constantly--especially my top teeth. They took x-rays and didn't see anything, but I really think I have been clenching my teeth in my sleep. It hurts. 
    My daughter is my hero.
  • At least I don't feel so alone. I have been wearing a guard that I just picked up at the drugstore in the middle of the night. I need to go see a dentist and have one made. My dentist said 3 ibuprofen 3x/day also. I have been living on chocolate pudding :(. If I doesn't feel better by tomorrow I may go for an X-ray, but I'm not sensitive to hot or cold and since my jaw is hurting I'm pretty positive it's from clenching.

• Loading the player...
  • Is it a certain tooth that has been throbbing? Or it's a general pain in your jaw?
  • I love my mouth guard the oral surgeon made for me. And I get lidocaine injections in my jaw every 6-8 weeks that helps with tension. Good luck. It sucks. Even 800 mg of Motrin hardly touches my headaches and jaw pain these days.
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • cmrand4cmrand4 member
    I clenched my jaw so much for a few years from a stressful job that the force actually moved my teeth, 2 of them, out of alignment.  I had to get gum surgery where an oral surgeon cut skin from the roof of my mouth and stitched it to the gum. Not awesome.  It can cause cracked teeth too so try to do some prevention like pp'ers mentioned.  I got a mouth guard and I remember it costing about $350.  Ask your dentist to give you a quote asap because teeth and oral wellness are priceless.  Something that definitely needs to be addressed.  Feel better!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DC2London said:

Definitely go have a custom-made bite guard made!  They can make a world of difference.

What state are you in?  My FIL is an amazing dentist/oral surgeon and he might be able to recommend someone in your area.  Seriously, he's great.  

Another good tip he gave me is to bite my tongue.  I mostly clench my jaw when I am driving due to anxiety, and he told me that, any time I catch myself clenching my jaw or grinding my teeth, I should put my tongue between my top and bottom teeth.  It sounds really silly, but it works!  I won't chew on my tongue, so that immediately stops the clenching.
    Im in Florida. Let me know!

• Is it a certain tooth that has been throbbing? Or it's a general pain in your jaw?

It's jaw pain on the left and my upper back molar is the tooth throbbing. :(

It's jaw pain on the left and my upper back molar is the tooth throbbing. :(

If I'm reading correctly, that upper molar is pressure sensitive (you can't bite down on it?), so you may have caused that tooth to fracture with the clenching. It's worrisome that it's not getting better (although if you're still clenching, it hasn't had a chance to heal) but good that it's not cold/heat sensitive. I'd personally get it checked out if it's not better by next week.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"