Trying to Get Pregnant

What's your sunscreen? (S/O things that go on faces)

So, we're headed out to the beach Monday, and this will be the first time I've exposed this much skin in years. I know I want something that works well because I am almost see-through pale and I don't want to not enjoy the trip because I'm as red and steamed as a lobster one day in. I'm especially interested in what people use on their faces. I use a spf 25 with my moisturizer, but I feel like I'll need something more for the sun and sand.

So, great people of TTGP, what do you use? Does brand make a difference? Do you just buy what's on sale?

TTC #1 since 11/2012
Me-31, H-27
**Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
**Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
 9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
 U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What's your sunscreen? (S/O things that go on faces)

• I just buy what's on sale. The biggest thing is to make sure you reapply at least every two hours. Or you will burn.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    Image and video hosting by TinyPic    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker
    TTGP since September 2013. All cycles were annovulatory due to Depo. 
    Surprise BFP: November 5, 2014

• NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2014
    On my face, I use Coppertone Oil Free for faces or Neutragena Oil Free for faces----either of these in sensitive skin if I can.  I think that the ones I wear every day are SPF30.  

For the beach, I try to find higher if possible, but I also know that those can be heavier and more prone to breaking me out, so just like other pps said, REAPPLY OFTEN.  
    Like, if I feel like I'm using too much sunscreen too often, I just keep reapplying anyway.  Better safe than sorry.

On my body for the beach or pool, I'll wear about anything as long as it's at least SPF 30.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I just buy what's on sale. The biggest thing is to make sure you reapply at least every two hours. Or you will burn.

Ditto this. I usually use SPF 30. Hubby is fair skinned and he uses SPF 50. We learned in school that anything above 50 didn't give significantly more coverage than 50 itself. So that's the highest SPF we buy.
    Married 8/14/09
    TTC #1 since 5/2014
    BFP #1 11/14/14 - CP @ 5w2d
    image  image  image
  • I like the neutrogena spray...I just spray some on my hands and rub it on my face..I am super pale skinned too and it holds up well for me

BFP #1 12/02/11, M/C 12/08/11
    BFP #2 04/06/12, DD born 12/20/12
    BFP #3 06/09/14, M/C 06/15/14

• I'll definitely reapply a lot, I'll probably set a timer on my phone so I'll remember. And thanks for reminding me that I need a large floppy hat!

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Neutrogenia for the face, whatever is in sale for the rest. I buy baby sunscreen a lot.

TTC #1 for 18+ months - Age 32
    Aug-2014: All initial testing went well, waiting for 2015 for possible IUI.
    Love beer and bagels (not together), hate olives

• Hat and SPF50 any brand for me! I actually usually bring a long sleeved something too, because I'm that weirdo at the beach. Even a linen tunic or something, just to give me a rest midday. I'm going to Florida for Memorial Day and plan to convince DH to rent one of those cabana thingies. 
      It's a girl!! EDD 2/28/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Reapplication is key. But for my face, I use the Coppertone stick that is pink for my face. I can't put the lotion on my face because it burns my eyes. No matter what, that shit burns my eyes. That stick is the only thing that has worked for me.
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DD: 10 (born August 2004)
    Married 03/01/14
    TTC#2
    BFP: 05/17/2014 EDD: 1/25/15 MMC: 06/30/2014
    BFP: 01/31/15 MMC: 02/25/15 

• I use Philosophy hope in a jar spf 25 daily on my face.  For the beach, I apply Coppertone Sport spf 50 lotion before I go outside.  I take the spray with me to reapply.  I'm really pale and this works for me.  Earlier this month, H and I went to Naples and I was the only person in our group who wasn't a lobster at the end of a day sailing.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • I use Cetaphil spf 15 on my face as my moisturizer, so at night before bed, in the morning after I shower, I always put that on. Since I work from home some days I don't do make up or really go out in the sun so I forget to apply sunscreen, using the spf 15 religiously is my built in safety net. I used to splurge on La Roche Posay, it applies really smooth. But honestly the Neutrogena age shield is just as matte, which is the most important thing for me and it is so much cheaper. 
  • Joy2611 said:
    I originally heard anything higher than 15 was all the same.  Then I heard it was anything above 30 was all the same.  Now it's everything above 50.  I wonder which one is actually right.
    Same here.  I think I've read it about SPF30 most often, but I do wonder.

I used to get higher than SPF50 when I could find it, but it was chalky.  Frankly, I felt that reapplying anything often, even just SPF30, was what worked best.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I like Aveeno because it works and smells good.  I also like the spray stuff just for the part in my hair because it's too hard to to get regular sunscreen there without looking uber-greasy and I don't always want to wear a hat. 
  • For me, nothing works. When I was a child there was a brand called BullFrog that had glittery specs in it, I loved it and my mom swore by it.

Now I just burn no matter what.
  • I like the Burt's Bees sunblock stick, but sometimes we use regular baby sunblock. Physical sunblock only anymore because chemical sunscreen burns on my face.
  • Clinique CityBlock 40 SPF under makeup for around town, Neutrogena 100+ Helioplex for everything while in the direct sun. It's insane and it's pricey, but it works so well.
  • I wear philosophy hope for my daily SPF. When out by the pool I use aveno for my face and either equate or the target brand spray in a SPF 30. I looked it up on consumer reports last year and that was what was recommended. I keep a basket outside full of sunscreen.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Nutragina makes a non-oily sunscreen that's great on the face, and comes in really high SPFs.  I even have one that's SPF100.  It's the only way this pale lady gets to play in the sun.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @Peledreamsofrain, Are you talking about Neutrogena Clear Face? That sunscreen is my jam!
    TTGP June Siggy Challenge: Favorite Movie Quote-- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt.2
  • @Peledreamsofrain, Are you talking about Neutrogena Clear Face? That sunscreen is my jam!

Yes! That's it. Haha I was too lazy to check my spelling on Neutrogena. Ty for being psychic.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • WolFoxWolFox member
    I use 50spf of whatever is around and waterproof. In Aruba I definitely reapplied every couple of hours. The only time I burned was when I stayed in the water for an extra couple of hours and DIDN"T reapply. :-( 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"