April 2014 Moms

sakm's birth story of Joseph James

Woke up morning of the 27th a little menstrual crampy.  Thought about starting a joke thread titled "Am I in labor?".  Took the dog for a long walk and was a little uncomfortable but it was barely noticeable.  I stopped a couple of times with a cramp.

Just after lunch I had my bloody show, and DH kind of freaked out.  But I told him that it still could be another week, so I sent him up on the hill to cut trees.  We had plans to have dinner with friends that night and I had to make a dessert.  I told him I wasn't having the baby in the next three hours so I was still going to make dessert and we would plan on going to dinner.

I timed the contractions for an hour and a half during the afternoon.  They were totally timeable and were between four and five minutes apart but only lasting 20 to 30 seconds, and not painful.  Just a little annoying/distracting.  So I was thinking that I was probably in very early labor or false labor.

We headed out to dinner and I got a little more uncomfortable.  They were much more distracting and I practiced my breathing through a couple.  Had to explain to DH on the drive that he couldn't watch me and drive safely, so he had to ignore me.  I'd let him know during dinner if we had to leave.

Half way through dinner (before the yummy dessert I made) we left.  Cramps were bad enough I wasn't enjoying myself, but I still wasn't convinced that I was very far along.  They were just much closer together.  DH asked if he had time to feed the cows and I told him I had to time the contractions first, properly, then call the midwife.  But I was guessing that we might have to leave for the hospital (a two hour drive).

So we get home and DH is frantically trying to write a feeding plan for the neighbor to come and feed the cows, so he knows what bales and how many to give each group.  I suddenly get to where each contraction is quite painful (I realize now that I had hit transition, but had no idea at the time) and I am breathing through all of them.  I just thought I had reached regular labor.  DH is trying to discuss the feeding plan with me and I don't know if I responded or told him I didn't care.  He then asks, "So I should just ignore you right now?" .  "Yes!" was my reply.

I talk to the midwife and she asked if I was having to breathe through them and she said we should probably head out.

It snowed the entire journey.  The road was wet and not frozen most of the way so DH was able to keep a decent speed but he couldn't have his high beams on.  50 mins (on dry roads) and a mountain range from the hospital, with the roads covered in 6 inches of slush, I start pushing.  I don't want to say I felt the urge, because that sounds to me like I had a choice.  I didn't.  The pushes just came.  My water still hadn't broken and I was hoping it wouldn't.  I didn't tell DH.  He was working hard ignoring me and I know was very very worried.  The journey took 2.5 hours and went by very quickly.  I think I had myself in something of a trance.  I was vaguely timing contractions, and working very hard to stay relaxed through them (insanely difficult).  But in between I'd fall asleep and even start dreaming. Fortunately, they were still only lasting about 30 seconds.  I'd have had a really hard time if they'd been a full minute.

So we get to the hospital.  Everyone is offering me a wheelchair which I don't want.  I remember getting lost on our way to L&D but DH says we didn't get lost, it just took so long because I was having to stop every 30 seconds.  Midwife met us at the desk, I'm doubled over, and she says, "Oh I guess this is the real deal.  I'm glad I got here before you guys."

We get into a lovely room (how I registered that it was lovely I have no idea, but I did) and midwife checks me.  I said, "Please don't tell me I'm just at 3cm." (I had planned on going pain med free and wasn't so sure I'd make it if I wasn't very dialated).  She says, "no, you are ready to push."  I was so happy!

I turned out to be a really ineffective pusher.  It took 3 hours to get him out.  Ring of fire!  Holy crap!  At one point she told me I had to stop yelling (I was yelling really loud) as I couldn't push effectively.  Eventually after I had spent an hour and a half changing positions and changing positions she put me in one position and I had to stay and I had to push to the nurses count. I was semireclined.  Nurse held one leg.  DH held the other and all three coached me.  They started a Pitocin drip to strengthen my contractions and about an hour after that he came out.  His heart rate kept dropping with every push so they waved oxygen in my face in between contractions.  The amazing thing about the pain though was that it was so manageable with the pushing.  The pushing made it easier somehow.  It was something to focus on.

During his exit, he had swallowed and aspirated fluid, so I got about 30 seconds of skin to skin before he went over to the table.  Then I got another few minutes and they took him to the nursery for an hour and a half.  DH went with him and I got stitched up (a long 2nd degree).  Then I got my pain meds. Heaven.

We are hopefully going home today (three days later).  Joseph took a long time to get over the stress of the birth and then feeding and jaundice has been an issue.  He has been on the tanning bed for the last 24 hours. 

Cannot wait to go home.

Congratulations to everyone who's had theirs now, and I am so excited for those who haven't to make it there.

Re: sakm's birth story of Joseph James

• rtv3rtv3 member
    Congrats on your little blessing! Go you for making it through all that :)
    image    image

With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere. - C.S.Lewis

• Congrats....

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Congrats!!
    BFP#1 9/14/10 (EDD 5/21/11); no fetal pole 6w6d, 7w4d, d&c 10/8
    BFP#2 3/16/11, beta 138; 4/12 Baby/HB DS born 9/10/11 at 29w4d due to partial abruption and PTL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    BFP#3 8/19/13 Another boy! 17P, modified bedrest and Nifedipine helped us have a termie! DS2 born 4/19/14 at 38w5d.
  • He's precious! Congratulations!
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Congrats! Love his little peanut head :-)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"