February 2013 Moms
Options

Not talking

Does anyone else have a kiddo that just isn't talking yet? He babbles constantly but doesn't say any real words yet. His twin brother is saying around 8 words and he just doesn't say a thing. He understands things...picks up his toys when we ask him to, gives his brother a toy when we ask him to, when we ask if he wants to eat he practically RUNS to his high chair...but doesn't talk. I guess I'm curious if this is an issue at (almost) 15 months. Thanks!

Re: Not talking

• Options
    Mine just turned 14 months and also doesn't say real words and I think that it's getting to the point now where it is concerning. I plan on discussing with the pedi at his 15 month appointment. If I remember right, I think my pedi expects 3 words by 15 months. Like yours, he is very good at receptive communication, like following commands and has been since about 9 mo. Just thought I'd let you know that you are not alone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Cooper babbles and says a few words here and there but nothing with meaning. He mimics a lot
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS just started saying, "Uh-oh" this weekend, but most of the time it sounds more like "Uh-uhhh" or "ah-ahhh" or something that is very much not "uh-oh" lol

Pretty sure that doesn't count as a word, so... no, he isn't talking yet :P  Lots of babbling, though!

• Options

Just a follow up...this is on "The Bump" for 17 month olds". That made me feel a little better!

While it’s uncommon a toddler this age wouldn’t have a few words in his vocabulary, there’s not necessarily any cause for concern if they don’t -- so don’t panic. Does he point? Does he grunt? Does he make it clear that he understands what you’re saying? Stay patient, mama. Those are all signs that he’s getting closer.

• Options
    khazekhaze member
    No words here.  DS is just over 14 months.

Declan 2.21.2013
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 6.22.2015

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

DS really only says Hi.  He can say momma, but rarely does.  I am not to concerned as he seems to understand things, and has been walking since christmas.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS is 14.5 months, and he only says dada. He babbles all the time, and he recently started pointing. He cries A LOT lately....most of which I am attributing to his limited vocabulary and him getting frustrated.

He's also isn't walking, so I'm sure that both will come up at his 15 month appointment.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    No talking here either. DS is 13.5 months. He says mama and dada but not with consistency and I'm not convinced he's not just babbling. He also sometimes picks up his toy phone and holds it to his head and says his version of hello (more like ha-wah).
  • Options
    Saw a post about this for babies who are older--they were having their 18 month appts and some were not talking.  Their pedis were saying it was okay, and some were considering calling Early On if it didn't start soon.  So it seems like a normal range of not talking can be until 18 months.  
  • Options
    Nicky is 14 months today and only has a couple of words.  He babbles follows directions and knows what we're saying, but dosn't say much.  I'm not concerned yet.  I figure that he'll wake up one day and a stream of actual, intelligible words will come out.  Then he'll never. stop. talking.

• Options
    DD says "hi" and that's it. She does also make some animal noises. She clearly understands what we are saying much of the time, and points/grunts for what she wants. She can nod and shake her head, but doesn't usually do it as a form of communication- more like she hears us say "yes" and nods her head because she knows that's what it means.

So yeah, not talking except for one word. I'm not really worried because I know there's a wide range of normal. Her 15 month appointment will actually end up being when she's just over 16 months (stupid insurance and doctor's office scheduling issues) so I will bring it up then if she still doesn't have any other words.
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 
    BFP #2 in January 2014, DS born September 2014

View Full Size Image     View Full Size Image   

• Options
    DD doesn't talk yet either.. She babbles ALL the time and uses body language, with a hint of sarcasm (seriously!). I'm not too worried yet, DS took forever to talk and is just fine

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    DD isn't talking yet and it is not even clear that she is understanding us.  I would not worry if I were you, it sounds like receptive language is fine and expressive language will follow I am sure.  We are calling EI just because her receptive language is also behind, unfortunately :(
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

• Options
    edited April 2014
    DC2London said:
    On Saturday, Rhys pointed to a squirrel and said, "Doggie, woof woof."  He's gifted.
    Did you read when I posted a few weeks ago about taking Henry to a local science center with an outdoor animal exhibit? He pointed at anything that could possibly resemble a canine and screamed, "DOGGIE!" And I use the word "resemble" very loosely. Things like river otters and meerkats became doggies. Bahahaha.

View Full Size Image
    BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

• Options
    DS really only started saying 'thank you' this weekend, but it really is more the tone/intonation of 'thank you' when we hand him something (or he hands us something).  And then tonight I said 'Say Night-Night to Daddy' and he said 'Thank You'.  So still working on words with meaning :) 
    Mom to 3 year-old girl and 1 year-old boy
  • Options
    E *can* say Mama and Dada, he just doesn't any more. ;) He says yum yum for anything he thinks is food (sand, leaves, shoes, dog food... sometimes even actual food). This past week he's been saying "yup." But I'm not sure if it's an actual word yet or just another sound he makes, lol!

E is my second born and is so much more laid back! When dd started talking, she exploded with words overnight. E seems to be taking a more, "you figure it out without any help from me, bioch" approach to all things verbal. Lol. I think he is making it his mission to keep me guessing for ever.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options
    Another one here who woofs at everything with four legs. And birds, DH reports. The real words she says are Mama and Gogogo (does that count as a word?) because her big sister tells her to go so often when she's just sitting at the top of the slide.

DD1 was extremely delayed in talking. I think by the time she was 17 months she had two words - Mama and "bop," which she used whenever anything (including herself) fell. By the time she was 2 I think she had 20 "words," and that's using the term "words" loosely. The reason I never worried is that she clearly understood what we were saying, and she was able to communicate well with us starting at around 17 or 18 months. No one else on the planet understood what she wanted, but I did and usually DH did, and really, that's what language is about, communicating needs/wants/feelings. As long as they have another way to do that (grunts, pointing, special words they make up, signing), and the people they're communicating with understand, then there's no need to learn language. The word explosion often hits around 18 months. With DD1, we waited and waited and waited. She was 31 months when it hit (last November), and since then I don't think she has stopped talking except while sleeping.

As others have said, if the receptive skills are good (do they understand simple things that are repeated often like "let's put your shoes on so we can go outside!", do they respond to their name?) then at this age I don't think you can ask for more. Soon they'll start communicating to us in some fashion, whether with words or otherwise. After all, they want those cookies they know you're hiding in the pantry ;)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    JJ is nearly 15 months and isn't talking at all (i can kind of convince myself he says mama, but really, it's probably just part of his babbling).

he doesn't do much pointing either, but what he does is clap and smile. sometimes this is helpful:
    "are you hungry?" clap clap, big smile, ok, he's hungry.
    clap clap, runs to the door, ok, he wants to go outside.
    sometimes this is not helpful at all: walks into the kitchen, starts clapping randomly. i have no clue what he wants.

i think he's trying, but mostly what comes out sounds like parseltongue. i expect the ped will express some concern at his appt monday, we'll see.

I like yarn: Learner's Per-knit

Preggo blog: There's No D#$% Stork
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses!!! Sounds like we aren't the only ones in this situation and his verbal communication will probably come when he's ready.

• Options
    Sagen said:
    DH has no real words. He babbles all the time. His Dr. called it jargon lol. In any case, I'm starting to think that one day I'm going to get him from his crib and he's going to say, "Good Morning, Mother! Would you be so inclined as to change my heavily saturated diaper? I would be much indebted as it's getting rather uncomfortable."

:P
    Not to be mean but your DH needs to grow up a little ;) I kid, I kid, I know you mean DS I just couldn't resist. At least I hope you mean DS haha!
    LMAO I am awesome. What, you guys don't change your husbands??? Uh, me either.....
  • Options
    Dd says a few words regularly on purpose. Over the past week or so she repeats many words. Like this morning she pooped on the potty and said poo poo. And tonight at dinner said tomatoes after my mom said it. So we are with you ladies also.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    Dd says a few words regularly on purpose. Over the past week or so she repeats many words. Like this morning she pooped on the potty and said poo poo. And tonight at dinner said tomatoes after my mom said it. So we are with you ladies also.
    Did I read that right and your LO pooped on the potty????

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options

TamaraR4 said:

Seriously!? A poop in the potty?! We haven't even bought a potty .

I think she just likes to do what her brother does. So a little over a month ago I started sitting her on the potty before I put on a new diaper. Now she poops at least once a day on the potty and will pee often. This week we started rewarding her for going. I am hoping for early potty training.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options

TamaraR4 said:

Seriously!? A poop in the potty?! We haven't even bought a potty .

I think she just likes to do what her brother does. So a little over a month ago I started sitting her on the potty before I put on a new diaper. Now she poops at least once a day on the potty and will pee often. This week we started rewarding her for going. I am hoping for early potty training.

I am both oddly jealous and amazed by this! E barely even realizes that he DOES go. ;)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"