February 2013 Moms

Give me recommendations for books to read.

I need to get some new books. 

I like informational/nonfiction, a good memoir/autobiography/biography, historical fiction, and realistic fiction. 

Not a huge fan of chick lit, science fiction, or fantasy. I have a lot of access to young adult fiction, so I'd like to stay away from that, please.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand: GO.

View Full Size Image
BFP- 5/23/12 EDD- 1/23/13 DS born 2/2/13

Baby BOY #2 coming in May!

Re: Give me recommendations for books to read.

• I recently read a book called The Good House by Ann Leary. It's fiction, and a fun read. It's about an older woman who's an alcoholic realtor in a small New England town. It's interesting because she's an intriguing narrator, but an unreliable one.

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• The Devil in the White City is a really good book....
    photo 9304f105-c1e0-4769-a5f5-66ebac0208e2.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Team of Rivals, Killer Angels, Autobiobraphy of Joshua Chamberlain (my historical crush)... can you tell I like the Civil War?

If you like historical fiction, Ken Follet does a nice job. The Century Trilogy is beautiful - Fall of Giants and Winter of the World are out and the last one is out over the summer. It's roughly WW1, WW2, and Vietnam times. He also has a more ancient series with Pillars of the Earth and A World Without End. They're written well, but I don't think they're as compelling as the Century Triology.

Outlander is one of my favorite series - it's semi historical fiction and semi-science fiction. It's about a woman who walks through a stone henge (lowercase) and ends up 200 years in the past. If you can get past the time travel, the story is historical and fun. The main male is my #1 literary crush. I thin kStarz is making it into a series soon too.

I just read A Fault In Our Stars. If you want to sob, try that one.
    John Green brings all the tears! I absolutely adored that book. I cried like a babe in arms when I finished it.

Girl, I also love the Civil War, or as some of my Southern compatriots call it, the War of Northern Aggression. (bahahahahaha. =)) =)) =)).)

I have got to check out those books! They sound so good. 

View Full Size Image

• @byebyebooze I have a friend who is so intensely into the Civil War. She seems like a totally normal person, until you speak to her for a while and realize that her favorite book is "The South Was Right." Whaaaaaaatttt? It's bizarre. What part of the Carolinas did you frequent? I'm so sorry that you ran into some crazies who called you Yankee and all of that foolishness. 

Also, South Carolina is wayyyyyyyyyyy worse than NC. I do not give a single shit about saying that, either. #sorrynotsorry to any possible SC-dwellers who lurk on this board. 

View Full Size Image

• I would like to second the Outlander recommendation. It sounds so utterly corny but is so amazingly good (says everyone I've ever known who has read it), and the author does great historical research. The series isn't finished, but there are enough books to keep even a speed reader like myself busy for a couple of weeks.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• lrtrauth said:
    @byebyebooze I have a friend who is so intensely into the Civil War. She seems like a totally normal person, until you speak to her for a while and realize that her favorite book is "The South Was Right." Whaaaaaaatttt? It's bizarre. What part of the Carolinas did you frequent? I'm so sorry that you ran into some crazies who called you Yankee and all of that foolishness. 
    Is this the same friend who had sex in a portapotty?  X_X
    NO! A totally different girl! Can you believe it?

View Full Size Image

• You totally do, @lrtrauth. I also like to have amusing people around for giggle purposes. 

View Full Size Image

• Huge bookworm over here! Recent favorites:
    • Seating Arrangements, Maggie Shipstead
    • The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
    • The Lowland, Jhumpa Lahiri
    • We Are Water, Wally Lamb
    • Someone, Alice McDermott
    • The Interestings, Meg Wolitzer
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @UponAStar63 I'll add it to my list! I love books that take place locally!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• kelly321 said:
    I would like to second the Outlander recommendation. It sounds so utterly corny but is so amazingly good (says everyone I've ever known who has read it), and the author does great historical research. The series isn't finished, but there are enough books to keep even a speed reader like myself busy for a couple of weeks.

I'll go ahead and third this. Outlander is my favorite book.

I like cookies.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Completely unrelated, but this reminded me of all the times I meant to tell you, Tarheel, that DH's family lives in NC.  Since we are in TN now, we visit much more often and I HATE my in-laws.  His family is by Hickory, so probably still a few hours from you I am guessing, right?  But, maybe, just maybe we could unite!
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic      image
    View Full Size Image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"