LGBT Parenting

What's for Dinner Wednesday?

I'm on vacation and forgot it was Wednesday. :)  What's for dinner?

QOTW: Name your favorite food splurges: things you don't eat often because they are either a) expensive or b) unhealthy (or both)?
Married my wife 8/2007 ~ TTC #1 since 7/2011
9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
IVF October 2012: 22 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized, 5 frozen
ET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Blighted ovum discovered at 7w5d; D&E
FET #1: 1 blast = BFP; Missed m/c discovered at 9w5d; D&E
Karyotyping: normal ~ RPL Testing: normal ~ Hysteroscopy: normal
FET #2: 1 blast transferred 10/25; BFP 10/31!
EDD 7/13/14 ~ Induced at 37w4d due to pre-eclampsia ~ Born on 6/28/14
*Everyone welcome*

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What's for Dinner Wednesday?

• Driving down to Santa Cruz in the late afternoon with EV and Kaden to pick up some elusive herbal tinctures that are so supposed to help inspire labor.  Sooooo no cooking today. We'll  probably grab something cheap and fast like pizza.  Hopefully we get down there before sunset and can hit the beach briefly. Temps here will be in the 90's and there in the 70's.

QOTD:  I love seafood and sushi but have both rarely while pregnant and only when the budget allows otherwise. It's a little "unsexy" going to a nice restaurant with a toddler ;-) 
  • We are on our first day of staycation and so we are going out to dinner (just a local casual tavern-y place) after my OB appointment and a Home Depot run (glamorous life).

QOTW: We love lobster.  It's fairly easy to get around here and not as expensive as I think it is in other parts of the country -- AND when I was on WW it was a ridiculously low number of points for a whole lobster -- so it's probably our most frequent splurge.  We buy them live and steam them at home, which is much cheaper than eating out (and they are so messy, I don't like to eat them in public anyway).  We also love crab, but specifically kinds you can't really get locally -- like Dungeness and stone crabs -- so we tend not to bother unless we are traveling to areas where they are local.

I will always splurge on things I can only get once a year -- seasonal items like native strawberries or Maine shrimp, holiday items, etc -- since there won't be another chance to have them soon.  We also try to buy most of our produce from a farmer's market in the summer, which is much more expensive around here.  I'm not sure that splurge will continue after Mr. Baby arrives!

Health-wise, I love good fried chicken with biscuits, butter and honey, but I don't let myself eat stuff like that often.  There is a place in Boston that has mind-blowing biscuits: if I'm there, I'm ordering them.  Needless to say, we don't go often. :)  I sometimes think I should have been a Southern girl, but it's probably good for my health that I'm not.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Loading the player...
  • Volunteering tonight so I have no idea what I'll do for dinner. It is raining like crazy here so I'll either 1) get something from the cafeteria and work really late. 2) Go to Whole Foods and get something there and eat in the cafe until I have to go. I am bummed I forgot my Kindle.

QOTD: When in Maine I do love a good lobster roll and Allagash White (local beer.)  When I was there a few years ago, I pretty much ate that at every meal. I almost never order a lobster roll when not in Maine (in fact, I don't even really love lobster. It is odd that it tastes so much better there!) I don't buy seafood that often because I perceive it as $$$ (and L is allergic to all shellfish so if I make shrimp for dinner, I need to make something else too.)
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • 2brides said:
    I almost never order a lobster roll when not in Maine (in fact, I don't even really love lobster. It is odd that it tastes so much better there!)
    I wonder if it's because it tends to be previously frozen in other parts of the country vs. fresh in Maine?  Mmmmm, I do love a good lobster roll.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• KH826KH826 member
    edited April 2014
    Well, I am working from home today because I had a really rough night with TONS of BH contractions and period-like cramps which scared the crap out of me. So I have put myself on couch rest for the day with my laptop. It has helped, and the cramps are mostly gone and have only had a few sporadic BH today that I have noticed. I am also trying to drink a ton of water. Currently on my 6th 17oz bottle. At any rate, I have made my wife in charge of dinner tonight, so I don't know what we will have. We might just even order out - at this point I don't care. I did cook a healthy dinner on Monday and Tuesday nights this week, so that's something... QOTW: any kind of pasta in a rich cream sauce with a roll or some kind of bread... That is my comfy food splurge of choice. That or pizza. I don't allow myself either very often.

Me - 30, My wife - 31 , Together for 10 yrs - Married August 2012

5 medicated IUIs w/ RE (March - July 2013) = BFN

Fresh IVF Cycle in September 2013 resulted in 18 mature eggs, 16 fertilized, 12 made it to day 5. Transfer of 2 Grade A blastocysts on 9/15/13, and 10 embryos in the freezer!      *****BFP on 9/25/13 - betas: @10dp5dt = 232; @12dp5dt = 465; @15dp5dt = 1,581   *********William George born June 4, 2014*********
  • JGYJGY member

Tonight for dinner I'll probably be chowing down on hormones, sass, and exhaustion.  Much like Monday and Tuesday. 

Sushi is always my big splurge when we go out.  In fact, we had a date a couple of weeks ago and I said I didn't care what kind of food we had, but I lied.  I was so disappointed when S decided to go to Rock Bottom Brewery.  But I didn't say anything.  My bad.  At least the beer was good.

I also really love some good southern mac n cheese.  But don't get it often because I know it's just useless calories.  In fact, there are a lot of things that I just flat out don't ever order when we go out (or eat in) because I know there's not enough protein in them or they are just a total waste (mostly pasta dishes).  But I do SOOOOO love them ...

Married to my amazing wife 6/12/10 
    TTC since 6/11
    Unmedicated IUI #1 - 6/28/11 - BFN
    Unmedicated IUI #2 - 7/25/11 - BFN
    Robotic Myomectomy (Fibroid Surgery) - 11/15/11
    Unmedicated IUI #3 - 4/24/12 - BFN 
    Progesterone Supported Leuteal Phase IUI #4 - 6/21/12 - BFP!!
    Baby Boy G Born 3/24/13

On to #2, are we crazy?
    IUI #1 - 11/28/14 - BFP!  Beta #1 (11DPO) 34, Beta #2 (13DPO) 101, Beta #3 (20DPO) 3043
    Ultrasound at 6w4d shows a single, fluttering heartbeat.  Say hello to Sticky Ricki!

• 2brides said:
    I almost never order a lobster roll when not in Maine (in fact, I don't even really love lobster. It is odd that it tastes so much better there!)
    I wonder if it's because it tends to be previously frozen in other parts of the country vs. fresh in Maine?  Mmmmm, I do love a good lobster roll.
    Maybe. I also think it is that outside of that region, they try to be all fancy. No. Split top roll. light mayo. Done. :)
  • I'm not sure what's for dinner tonight. I'm thinking fajitas or spaghetti with Italian sausage. I will ask M if she has a preference.

QOTW: I am so not a seafood person! Throughout infertility many foods that "should" be splurges have become more regular choices.
    Fried Mozzarella sticks still are a splurge. I don't know why they feel so much more like a health splurge than French fries or pizza but they do.
    When you write "splurge" several times it starts seeming really weird!
    ****loss discussed*****

We're queer. I'm 33, have severe stage 4 endo, and had both fallopian tubes removed. My love ("Manada" on the boards, 32) was diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve. We did Partner IVF (my eggs, her uterus). We lost our twins Tavin and Casey at 21 weeks gestation.

Our IUIs
    with @Manada: IUI# 1-7 (December 2012- September 2013) all BFN. Tried natural, femara, clomid, puregon/follistim, clomid and menopur combo, both the ovidrel and HCG triggers.

Our IVFs:
    IVF #1 my eggs November/December 2013: Cancelled IVF due to poor response

IVF #2 my eggs/Manada's uterus January/February 2014
    BCPs and lupron overlap Stimmed: 1/22-2/2: Bravelle and Menopur (dosage ranged from B300 and M150 to B375 and M150 to B300 and M225)
    2/4 retrieved 10 eggs. Endo was much worse than expected. Only 3 eggs fertilized; February 7 transferred two day 3 embryos, froze one. All great condition.
    BFP eve of 6dp3dt; Beta 1 (11dp3dt): 110; Beta 2 (13dp3dt): 175; Beta 3 (15dp3dt): 348; Beta 4 (19dp3dt): 2222; Beta 5 (21dp3dt): 4255
    1st ultrasound (3/6  6w 1d): TWINS!!!! Twin A measuring 6w1d with a heartbeat of 118bpm. Twin B measuring 6w0d with a heartbeat of 113bpm. 

***July 18, 2014 we lost our beautiful babies at 21 weeks gestation. They were born too early. Tavin Sara T. and Casey Elizabeth T. are beautiful and precious and we will love them and miss them forever.***

FET #1 December 2014
    Intralipid infusion on Dec 10. Transfer of 1 day 3 nine-cell embryo into my uterus on Dec. 19. (acupuncture immediately before and after)
    BFP on Dec. 27; Beta 1 Jan 2 (14dp3dt): 665, Beta 2 Jan 4 (16dp3dt): 1859, Beta 3 Jan 6 (18dp3dt): 4449, Beta 4 Jan 10 (22dp3dt): 12,251.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Not sure what is for dinner tonight, J is out of town so I'm on my own. There are quite a bit of leftovers hanging out in the fridge waiting to be eaten and she bought lots of food for me to cook so it'll likely be an impulsive decision. I hoping to be working on the mural all night so it might be the amy's frozen pizza that J can't eat (no gluten for her)

QOTW: hmmm, I can't think of anything we don't eat because it's expensive....some seafood but that's more J's thing than mine. I eat it when she wants it but never really crave it. I try to limit the amount of ice cream I eat...sometimes. Other times I eat it whenever I want. I guess I always eat whatever I want. I just really like food.

• 2brides said:
    2brides said:
    Maybe. I also think it is that outside of that region, they try to be all fancy. No. Split top roll. light mayo. Done. :)
    Totally.  It's on the "don't mess with it too much" list.  But that split top roll needs to be grilled and buttered. :)
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• I will likely get something easy for the grill tonight. Killer weather in Seattle right now!! Plus sweet potato fries (from an actual sweet potato) and asparagus (which we seem to eat almost daily in the Spring). This is very common for a weekday dinner in good weather for us - no mess/pots and pans, fairly healthy, fast and easy.

QOTW: I'd throw in a third category - things that are too hard/involved to make at home - so Eggs Benedict, or Biscuits & Gravy for breakfast foods in that regard. Expensive? Sushi for sure - the $100 dinner that you need to go home and find something to eat afterwards... and unhealthy? Probably ice cream. I mean, it just fills in the cracks, right? I do not have good self-control with it, so best to stay away, or order it out vs. have it in our house.

Regionally, I'd say in late June/July, Copper River Salmon is pretty much to die for, so I'll make that a few times during the short season. Yum!
    Lil'mamaz was born on Aug 21, 2014! She's PERFECT!

It's been a long road to here...
    Me (43) and J (45) - same sex couple. And we don't feel 40+!
    June'12 - First RE Visit
    Sept. '12 - Tubes removed
    Dec. '12 - Donor Egg/Donor Sperm IVF Cycle - 4 good embies!
    Dec. '12 - Fresh transfer, BFP! EDD 8/29/13
    Mar. '13 - Missed m/c at 16w1d, baby boy stopped growing at 15w4d
    Loss due to umbilical cord clot...baby was perfect. :(
    Jul '13 - FET#1 - c/p
    Sept. '13 - FET#2 - BFN
    Dec.' 2, 2013 - FET#3 with our last chance embie - BFP!!!
    Dec' 26, 2013 - hb!!
    EDD 8/20/14 with a baby girl!
    Little S was born on 8/21/14 - 8lb, 14 oz and 20 inches long.
    We live in Seattle and used SRM for our donor egg IVF cycle

imageimageimageimage

• 2brides said:
    2brides said:
    Totally.  It's on the "don't mess with it too much" list.  But that split top roll needs to be grilled and buttered. :)
    YES!! Now I want a good lobster roll and beer while overlooking the water is beautiful summer weather!
  • 2brides said:
    2brides said:
    2brides said:
    YES!! Now I want a good lobster roll and beer while overlooking the water is beautiful summer weather!
    There is a place near here that makes a mean lobster sandwich -- it's like a roll but it's on toasted buttered white bread, and it's delicious.  I may or may not have made my wife promise to bring me one when I am in the hospital after giving birth.
    9 IUIs = 9 BFNs
    *Everyone welcome*

• Yum... All the lobster talk is making me want seafood. Maybe tomorrow...
    Tonight was teriyaki chicken, with cheesy potatoes, and cucumber dill salad.  Of course Oliver had green beans (not his favorite he cringed at every bite) and breast milk. :) 

QOTD: I have several splurges.... A good bottle of Cabernet, aged white sharp cheddar or Gouda, dark chocolate sea salt caramel truffles from our local chocolate shoppe, a great medium roast coffee.... These are things we often have the "cheap" versions of but the expensive versions are always worth the money when we do splurge.  
    Same sex couple, Married 8/6/11
    Baby Oliver born 11/27/13

TTC stats with donor sperm...
    IUI #1 with trigger, 1/4/13 - BFN
    IUI #2 with trigger, 2/1/13 BFN
    IUI #3 with tigger, 2/28/12 BFP EDD 11/21/13
  • I cooked an easy Pad Thai recipe from my favorite cookbook, Isa Does It.  It was my first time making it and it turned out really good!  We made it with tofu, broccoli, carrots, scallions, cilantro, and mung bean sprouts.  I'm glad there are leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

QOTW: Most recently my splurge is a coconut milk-based ice cream made by Coconut Bliss.  The flavor is Salted Caramel & Chocolate. And oh-my-wow, it is soooooo good.  And $6.50 for a pint!  So, pretty pricy, considering we can go through it in a week.  But, it's that good and I justify the extra desserts lately because of BF.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"