May 2014 Moms

Someone skipped health class...

Couldn't believe the Starbucks cashier today. Four ridiculous things came out of her mouth as I ordered my coffee.

1. (After ordering my Grande mocha) "So, do you want a decaf??" ...umm, no. It's an espresso drink, so it has less caffeine than a coffee of the same size. (That seemed to go over her head)

2. (She puts her hands on her stomach) "So, does it feel like you're carrying something inside you??" ....ummm...

3. "Is it heavy??" (Seriously, it's like she'd never seen a pregnant lady before) ...
I said : yes, it's heavy, it's like an extra 30lbs of weight to carry around. That got a "wow" response

4. Finally: "I'll have to ask my mom if I was heavy when she was carrying me!" (I wish I was making this up)... I stared at her and said "all babies are heavy."

This girl was maybe 18-20yrs old. Maybe younger if she was a drop out (it was 11:15am - so either she dropped out or was no longer in grade school). Either way, I found her complete clueless-ness to be ridiculous and amusing at the same time!
                      PitaPata Dog tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Someone skipped health class...

• wow….thought I have to say I am clueless about #1 too. I always thought espresso had more caffeine than coffee.

• The first comment would have driven me nuts! I have a daily limit that I adhere by, but it is none of their business to if/how I achieve that limit. Or if I go over. Fortunately, my coffee lady knows to keep her mouth shut.
  • Loading the player...
  • This made me laugh...although #1 is surprising (and I'm 26).  The current generation (I sound like an old woman) makes me sad.  They are so clueless!
    In memory of the angel babies that were too perfect for Earth.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hooper88 said:

wow….thought I have to say I am clueless about #1 too. I always thought espresso had more caffeine than coffee.

Per volume, yes, but espresso drinks use a much smaller amount (a shot) incorporated into the rest of the drink. So a standard espresso shot has the amount of caffeine as a full cup of coffee. Therefore, my 16oz mocha has less caffeine (~175mg) than a 16oz cup of coffee (~330mg). :-)
                          PitaPata Dog tickers

• Hooper88 said:
    wow….thought I have to say I am clueless about #1 too. I always thought espresso had more caffeine than coffee.
    depends on how you look at it. For example, a grande mocha from starbucks has 175mg of caffeine, vs a grande brewed coffee having 330mg. A grande size comes with 2 shots so roughly 2 fluid ounces of espresso, while a grande brewed coffee is 16 fluid ounces. All that to say shots of espresso have more caffeine per fluid ounce than brewed coffee :)
  • Thanks for clarifying ladies ;)

• Thankfully the coffee shop I go to I used to work at so I had already educated them that you give a pregnant woman what she asks for and no questioning! Haha
    All those other questions have me cracking up in the waiting room I'm in. She's a hoot! And sounds pretty ignorant. I would have a hard time not just laughing in front of her!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married Rob May 23rd 2008
    * Munchkin due May 5th 2014 * Getting back on the waiting list for domestic infant adoption May 2015 * Apparently May is our month!

• I once worked at a resort that would let the employees get free coffee or espresso from the bar. One day I watched the bartender give a pregnant girl a decaf (after she had asked for regular) and proclaim "I made you a decaf" loudly. I was appalled.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Today my husband had a rare coffee trip and I got a decaf latte. She brought it to us and said something along the lines of "here's the decaf, I am assuming its for you" ... but I honestly didn't think twice about it.

I would however, be annoyed when ordering and arguing with the barista over my order choices. At this point a little caffeine ain't going to hurt anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"