Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Laryngomalacia

So, our son is exactly one month old.  For the past few weeks, I have noticed that he sleeps really noisily.  I remember our older daughter being a noisy sleeper, but this does seem different.  When he is sleeping deeply, he squeaks when he inhales.  He doesn't really seem to be struggling for breath, but it is pretty disconcerting and a lot of people have commented on it.  Today, a stranger came up and asked me if I had heard of laryngomalacia.  She said her DD had it and she thinks that's what it is.  

I have an appointment tomorrow, but I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this.  Dr. Google says it is common, but I have never heard anyone talk of it....Obviously a breathing problem makes me nervous...

Re: Laryngomalacia

• We don't have laryngomalacia but we had many of the same symptoms with DS1. After 2 years of him not growing, snoring loud enough for people to comment on it, and (unbeknownst to us) and because of these things his O2 level dropping significantly at night, we had his tonsils and adenoids taken out. His tonsils were HUGE and blocking his throat. He started to eat and finally gain weight. It took an ENT to see the problem. That's not exactly what you asked about but tonsils might be worth keeping in mind.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • DS had it for a couple months and then outgrew it. It was always worse when he'd get upset. My cousin's son also had it and outgrew it by his first birthday. It's nbd.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for both responses.  We just got back from the doctor and she things that is is tracheomalacia rather than laryngomalacia.  She didn't seem worried, and I am trying not to be, but his breathing is really difficult for me to listen to.  She didn't think it was a big deal at all, and she didn't think it needed referred to anyone else.  I guess I just need to deal with it.  But it honestly gives me shortness of breath just to listen to.  It sounds pretty horrible.  
  • Thanks for both responses.  We just got back from the doctor and she things that is is tracheomalacia rather than laryngomalacia.  She didn't seem worried, and I am trying not to be, but his breathing is really difficult for me to listen to.  She didn't think it was a big deal at all, and she didn't think it needed referred to anyone else.  I guess I just need to deal with it.  But it honestly gives me shortness of breath just to listen to.  It sounds pretty horrible.  
    Never heard of that condition. Does the baby need treatment? Hope baby gets better.

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• My LO made a humming sound, only while sleeping, as he breathed. I believe laryngomalacia was the term our pedi used (not positive), but she wasn't worried. I had her listen to a recording, and she said it was mild, and his lungs and breathing were great in office. It started when he was about 3 weeks, and lasted pretty regularly until maybe 7 weeks or more? Now that he's almost 3 months I rarely hear it anymore.
        image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"