February 2014 Moms

Freezer stash??

I'm EBF. Headed back to work for a week in mid may, then full time in late July. I pump 1x a day to build up my freezer stash. I'm probably freezing 4-5 oz per day. Our freezer is getting super full. Just curious about how much I should try to have saved up. What are others doing??

Re: Freezer stash??

• If I remember correctly, milk stored in a regular freezer (not a deep freeze) must be used within three to six months. So theoretically, the milk you've been pumping may not be good come July depending on how cold your freezer is.

Unless you won't be able to pump to replace each nursing session, I don't see the point of a huge stash. I've got enough milk in the freezer for about 10 bottles. All you really *have* to have is enough milk on hand for the first day's bottles.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Loading the player...
  • @karich great advice! Thanks for posting!
  • We bought another freezer after I had my first. I only pump once a day, (before I go to bed) and get anywhere from 4-9 oz. I work twice a week and pump twice a shift totaling 16-20oz. Combine that with a child who just recently decided that the bottle is a torture device, and I have over 400oz in the freezer just from the last 2 months. I have it frozen bags of 3-5 oz each. The bags are sorted by date into canvas bins in the freezer. I will start to donate it if my baby doesn't start taking a bottle.
    8/2010 IVF#1 (After many failed/cancelled IUI cycles) 3dt of 2 beautiful embryos - 3 frosties Betas-12dp3dt-215 : 16dp3dt-1175 : 20dp3dt-5088 - Baby Girl born at 38w6d on 5/10/11

2/2013 FET#1 Transfer of 1 9 cell embryo and 1 7 cell compacted embryo. Beta #1 11dp3dFET - 37 Beta #2 13dp3dFET - 71 Beta #3 16dp3dFET - 297 Beta #4 20dp3dFET - 1300  - Blighted Ovum. Natural miscarriage followed by D&C 4/13

5/2013 - Completely natural miracle surprise BFP!!! Beta #1 15dpo - 846 Beta #2 17dpo - 2141 - Baby Boy born at 38w0d on 1/19/14

• I'm not a fan of the big stash. I want to have enough in the freezer for an emergency (say 75 oz, which would cover a 3-day hospital stay), but other than that, a stash can be too much of a crutch. If you're not pumping enough at work, that should be addressed because it will just keep happening unless you do something about it. 

I pump each work day for the next day's bottles. I freeze Friday's pump and thaw my oldest milk for Monday's bottles. It works very well.

I was a big-stasher with DS1. I ended up donating 600 oz and throwing away about 800oz. I don't want my pumping to go to waste (not that donating is waste - I will happily do that again). I just hated that I was such a slave to the pump when so much of it wasn't even used.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was a big-stasher with DS1. I ended up donating 600 oz and throwing away about 800oz. I don't want my pumping to go to waste (not that donating is waste - I will happily do that again). I just hated that I was such a slave to the pump when so much of it wasn't even used.

This was me exactly. I swore off the pump as much as possible this time around. Not being a slave to the pump = more play time for me and the kids and more room in the freezer for ice cream! :)

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Soap1Soap1 member
    I'm interested in these responses, and also fascinated that it seems everyone has such a different answer!

LO goes to work with me for now, but will start part-time childcare in the summer.  I hope to have enough in the freezer for two weeks worth of feedings.  I'm sure I won't pump enough to completely keep up, but I'm not really sure how long I want to nurse anyway.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ive ended up with a decent freezer stash sort of accidentally. I started pumping to help build up low supply, and kept up with once a day, so I've got a decent stock pile for now, almost 200oz. I have no idea how pumping is going to go at work given my pretty wacky schedule, so I'm grateful for a bit of a "cushion" while my body hopefully gets used to more pumping vs baby feeding.
    Suzy & Brian November 3, 2007 "...this one time, at band camp..." ;-)
    TTC #1 since 9/2012
    BFP #1 2/16/13, EDD 10/13/13, CP 2/21/13
    BFP #2 6/2/13
    Baby J-Bug 2/8/14 My Wedding Bio from back in the day
  • Having some on hand isn't bad idea, it's all a matter of opinion what's the "right" amount. Bare minimum you need first days bottles worth on hand, and 1-2 extra bottles in case of spillage/etc.  Sometimes women get weird about having huge amounts on hand, but you don't want to cause yourself the problems with an oversupply by pumping a ton.  Best bet is to pump in the morning when your supply is the highest and aim for a few days worth of bottles and go from there. 

Right now I have ~80oz in my freezer but it's all extra that I pump since returning to work. I am tandem nursing though, so my body is making milk for two kids but I'm not giving the older kid pumped milk yet. If I continue to have such an excess I may offer him some to help use it up.

I agree with PP that if you're constantly dipping into your freezer stash, that is something that needs to be addressed. Either pumping issues or overfeeding issues are likely culprits.

Regardless, you should be sure to cycle through your milk and use the oldest stuff first. I take my milk storage bags and put them into big freezer bags which I label with date range and keep in my chest freezer. It stores longer since you're not opening it as frequently, and it's a good way to keep space open for other food.

imageimage
  • I freeze a lot but I am doing it for the 'incase' something happens. We ended up getting a deep freeze for our garage w/ after DS1 to store it all. In the deep freeze it lasts a year so I used it when I am finished nursing (at 13 months) until DS1 started whole milk at 15 months. Then you can donate whatever you don't use.

• I have donated already. I pump once a day in the morning and get up to 10 ozs. I keep 150oz rotating for LO, and donate once I have 100oz to ship out. I keep all the BM frozen in a chest freezer.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sprashleysprashley member
    edited April 2014
    Right now, I only have about 70 ozs frozen for storage.  I was happy with that until I remembered I will be gone in June for 3 days for a work trip. So, I will be upping the pumping to be sure I have enough to cover those days.  If I weren't traveling then, it would be fine.  

You really only need enough to cover the first day at daycare and some extra for DC to have on-hand in case LO has a 'hungry' day or to cover you if you go out one night or something.  Depending on who LO is with, I don't send extra frozen milk though, beyond what I've pumped in advance.  For instance, my mom always seems think LO is hungry and overfeeds her when really she just needs a nap! 
    Feb 2014
  • I have about 150-200 oz in the freezer, and I pump and send the previous day's milk in to daycare.  The extra freezer stash is really for my own peace of mind, so I don't stress myself out about if I'm short a few oz one day, or need to skip a pump session for some reason.  It also relaxes me to know that if I need to go out, there's milk ready for whoever is watching him.  During maternity leave I was pumping once per day, about 4 days a week.  Now that I'm at work, I'm pumping 3x/day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a decent freezer stash, probably around 100 ounces. I try to defrost 1 bag per day while I'm at work. After work I freeze any extra milk that I bring home. That we rotate through my freezer stash and nothing goes to waste. I plan to mix the stashed milk with cereal when LO starts eating food.

• I work 4-6 hours per day, typically with only one chance to pump. I am barely pumping enough to replace what she is eating, but I pump once a day, and always freeze that. She ate 15oz today; i have pumped about 11oz. But, I'm home with her tomorrow, so I'll pump 4-6oz just to freeze. It ends up working out okay. I don't have a TON frozen, but enough.

dx PCOS 2007

BFP #1 (natural) 12/23/2010. Stillbirth due to IC 4/2/2011

TTC #2 starting 03/2012

RE starting 07/2012

05/2013 BFP on a Letrozole (Femara)/trigger!

Cerclage, Procardia, Makena, GD (with insulin), MBR, and we made it!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our Angel was born sleeping at 20 weeks due to IC.

• I don't respond well to the pump and barely get an extra 1-2 oz a day to freeze. So I have 2 days worth in the freezer but that's it. I would definitely try to build up more of a stash if I could, but it's not worth it to me to add in a bunch more pumping sessions because of the time lost doing other things like hanging with my kids, sleeping, or working. So hopefully I will continue to get enough each day for the next day, but if not I won't mind supplementing a bit with formula.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"