Postpartum Depression

ppd?

I'm a new mommy. My daughter in 2 months old. She is my first. I've always wanted a baby so I don't understand why I feel the way I do. I cry a lot. I've never felt like this before and its scary. I think a lot of it has to do with feeling alone/lonely at night because my husband works night shift so I take care of our daughter mostly. He was only off a week when she was born and it has been rough trying to do it all by myself. My family has been good about giving me breaks but I feel guilty about it. Its nice to have a break but at the same time I don't like to be away from her.I have always been a worrier. My doctor put me on a low dose of depression medicine last week but I dont feel any different. How long will it take to feel like myself again?

Re: ppd?

• flclflcl member
    First off, congratulations on your baby girl!  That is so exciting!  Secondly, it's ok for you to be feeling the way you do.  We've just been through something completely life changing and even if it's something we wanted, it's hard.  You're right though, it's scary to feel so down and depression makes you feel so alone.  I'm really impressed that you're already taking care of it... it's hard to ask for help.

As for meds, it's different for everyone.  Depending on what you're taking and how strong the dosage is, it can take anywhere from a few days to a little over a week.  Try to really pay attention to yourself during this time and ask your H to do the same thing.  Antidepressants can sometimes produce really crazy side effects so you two need to be on the look out.  Also, if the meds aren't making you feel better, tell your dr right away.  Just take deep breaths, hang in there, and know that you will eventually feel better.  Good luck!
  • Thank you for your response. It means a lot! I feel myself getting better everyday but its just getting there that's the hard part. No one tells you about the aftermath after you have a baby. It was embarrassing for me to admit I was depressed but it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one feeling this way.
  • Loading the player...
  • As a new mommy it's normal to feel overwhelmed. And, hello, our hormones are going through yet another drastic adjustment! :-0 
    Are you sure you aren't confusing PPD with feeling overwhelmed? I think that's an important questing to ask yourself. I was very overwhelmed with the newness of everything and being responsible for another human being. I think it's to be expected when your a new parent. Once I got into the swing of things I felt great! Much love to you and your little bundle. :-) 

• Thanks for your response :) from what I read online, it sounds like ppd. I'm sad for no reason. I have a beautiful healthy little girl so shouldn't I be happy? I always stress.. I guess that's just part of being a woman lol congrats mommy! good luck to you & your bundle of joy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"