Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Gaining weight to aid conception

Hello all,
We are in month 9 of TTC #2. I have colitis and have been going through a rough flare up since Nov. of last year. I am taking Lialda for inflammation and working with my drs. I plan to see an dietician and work with a naturopath. I am at least 10 lbs below what I was when I conceived my son, which is a lot for me. I know I need to gain weight and know that it is affecting my ability to get pregnant despite having regular cycles. Has anyone been told they need to gain weight to help their chances of concieving? How did you go about gaining weight and did you see a difference in your cycles and/or did gaining weight lead to pregnancy?
Thanks in advance for your insight.

Re: Gaining weight to aid conception

• Options
    I think this is a pretty common myth, like propping yourself up with a pillow after sex. When I got married one of my coworkers told me I better gain weight if I wanted to get pregnant. I asked my Dr. about it and she flat out said it isn't true. As long as you are having regular cycles you can get pregnant. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree with the PP's.  If your cycles are regular your weight should be a non-issue.
    BFP#1 6/2013: MMC 8/2013 @ 6 wks, 3 d
    BFP#2 1/2014: CP 1/2014 @ 3 wks, 4 d
    BFP#3 4/2014: MC 4/2014 @ 4 wks, 1 d
    Break until Dec 2014
    Femara, aspirin and progesterone started 12/2015
    Still working on #2!

• Options
    Great feedback ladies! Thank you. My diet is super healthy. I think you are all right about adding snacks that are high in protein and healthy fats.
  • Options
    alysonmhalysonmh member
    edited April 2014
    I also have colitis/take lialda and my doctor would never recommend getting pregnant during or even near a flare up. I made sure I had been in remission for at least 6 months before trying to get pregnant. The flare up sounds like more of an issue than your weight. 

Most of the ladies here probably don't know what a colitis flare up consists of but most commonly it includes a lot intestinal bleeding, irritable bowel, nausea, diarrhea and weight loss due to being unable to eat and digest food as well. I'm not sure why you would be trying to get pregnant during a flare up when it is so unsafe for the baby.
  • Options
    I have a meeting with my gastroenterologist next week. Ill have to check in with him about this since he knows I am trying to conceive. I was have never been dissuaded before. Good information, thanks.
  • Options
    alysonmhalysonmh member
    edited April 2014
    It's definitely good to talk about with your doctor in detail. My doctor pointed out that a flare up puts you at increased risk for pre-term labor and miscarriage. Additionally if you get pregnant during a flare up there is a good chance symptoms will continue or get worse during pregnancy so he wanted to make sure I was completely in remission before getting pregnant so that my UC wouldn't affect my pregnancy. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"