March 2014 Moms

Decongestants and milk supply

So I was feeling under the weather this weekend and took mucinex for 2 days. I started work on Monday and didn't want to be sick. Well my pumping supply went down drastically and I freaked. Thought it was the stress of coming back to work. Well come to find out that decongestants can dry you up quick, so I spent most of the night and morning having LO stuck to my boob to try and get my supply back to where it normally is so I can keep giving him milk at daycare. I am going to go get Funegrrek today and mothers milk tea. I have also been chugging water and eating oatmeal for breakfast.

Anyone else have issues with building your supply back up? What did you do?

Re: Decongestants and milk supply

• Yep mine went down when I got the flu - was back within a couple days.
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • My OB said the same thing about decongestants and most allergy meds. She prescribed me flonase to use while the trees are still fornicating.
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was sick my pediatrician said not to take anything but ibuprofen or Motrin. Pretty much I had to suffer. She said any meds that dry you up like a decongestant will also dry up your milk. Makes sense...

Engaged 12-12-10 Married 5-12-12 Baby Jaxon 3-23-14 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Call Me Mrs.Foster Blog

• Was it plain mucinex? If so it's not truly a decongestant, it's an expectorant. Unless it was mucinex d (with pseudoephedrine in it), your decreased supply may just be from being sick in general. As you bounce back your supply should return to normal. Just keep eating enough and drinking a ton of water and resting when possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"