October 2014 Moms

Smoothie Heaven

ashie0610ashie0610 member
edited April 2014 in October 2014 Moms
After realizing yesterday at 4 pm that I hadn't eaten a single fruit or vegetable all day, I had a good dinner and then decided to make myself a smoothie for a snack this morning.  It was HEAVENLY so I thought I'd share the love.  This is probably not very low calorie, but there IS a mix of fruit, veggies, and protein in it which I understand is good for pregnancy. ;)

About 8 oz of Silk dark chocolate almond milk 
1 Tablespoon or so of peanut butter (microwaved to thin it out)
1 handful of strawberries
1 giant handful of spinach
2 giant handfuls of ice

It tasted like a chocolate peanut butter milkshake with a hint of strawberry.  I already want another one.

Anyone have any other good smoothie recipes to share?

PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  

Re: Smoothie Heaven

• Emerald27Emerald27 member
    edited April 2014
    I like to make pretty high calorie and yummy smoothies too. Mine are not for dieting. :P

I started making these for DS when he was having some constipation issues and avoiding anything healthy or high in fiber. Kid has a dairy addiction and loves his carbs...not the best recipe for poop.

1 activia yogurt cup (or regular yogurt. Doesn't matter...I use strawberry)
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/4 cup dry oatmeal
    1/2 cup frozen raspberries
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1 banana

If I'm feeling sneaky, I'll toss in a few leaves of spinach. I can REALLY taste it, though, and I'm still in the "get DS to eat it" stage, before sneaking in extra healthy stuff.

This makes a lot. Usually enough for me and DH to have a glass, and for DS' small glass.
    imageimage
  • Most mornings I make up the following:

1/2 C frozen raspberries
    2/3-ish scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 heaping Tbsp ground flax
    As much spinach as I can jam into the bullet blender cup
    Some milk (1% or if that's gone whole)

I really don't think you can taste the spinach, but I've been making them like that for years, so who knows.  Kale, on the other hand, you can definitely taste.  Also arugula.  Not recommended for smoothies.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not big on dairy in my smoothies.  This is my go to recipe:

1 c. ANY frozen fruit (raspberries are my fave)
    1 ripe banana
    1 tbsp. almond butter
    1 c. coconut water
    1 tbsp. ground flax seeds
    squeeze of lemon
    handful of spinach

Me: 32  H: 34
    DS #1: 8/10/11,  DS #2: 10/13/14
    TTC #3 since October 2017

• I usually throw in a little fruit juice, then greek yogurt and then add frozen fruit of choice. I also have some "green superfoods" powder I throw in. Sooo good!  Sometimes that's the only fruit or veggies I'll get during the day too, especially if it's a "run kids around to activities after work" type of evening.
  • anjb43 said:
    I usually throw in a little fruit juice, then greek yogurt and then add frozen fruit of choice. I also have some "green superfoods" powder I throw in. Sooo good!  Sometimes that's the only fruit or veggies I'll get during the day too, especially if it's a "run kids around to activities after work" type of evening.
    Same here! I always feel like it's the least I can do to get fruit and veggies in, especially on days when I'm not planning on cooking dinner.
    PM me for blog link!

• raynes said:
    Most mornings I make up the following:

1/2 C frozen raspberries
    2/3-ish scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 heaping Tbsp ground flax
    As much spinach as I can jam into the bullet blender cup
    Some milk (1% or if that's gone whole)

I really don't think you can taste the spinach, but I've been making them like that for years, so who knows.  Kale, on the other hand, you can definitely taste.  Also arugula.  Not recommended for smoothies.
    I feel the same way, I can never taste the spinach.  Kale I can taste a little but I don't mind it.
    PM me for blog link!

• Good ideas on adding flax seed and oatmeal too!  I have those on hand and they would have been easy additions. :)
    PM me for blog link!

• Note to self:  LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR BLENDER!  Smoothies sound amazing for breakfast.

Question (from someone who has never made one) - can you make a big batch and freeze or refrigerate it?  I am up and out the door an hour before DH and DD wake up, don't really want to turn on the blender and wake them both!
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• You should, @MrMrsandBaby!  

I've never tried to freeze smoothies but I do make extra and put one or two in the fridge for later or to give to DS (he LOVES smoothies).  Since I usually blend ice into mine, the refrigerated ones aren't quite as thick as the fresh batch but still taste as good!
    PM me for blog link!

• Note to self:  LEARN HOW TO USE YOUR BLENDER!  Smoothies sound amazing for breakfast.

Question (from someone who has never made one) - can you make a big batch and freeze or refrigerate it?  I am up and out the door an hour before DH and DD wake up, don't really want to turn on the blender and wake them both!
    If you're using frozen fruit you'll lose the thicker consistency if they stay in the fridge, but I leave the ones I make for LO in the fridge for a few days until he finished them.

@ashie0610, the ground flax is a biiiig helper with the pregnancy constipation. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Keep 'em coming...I'm making a shopping list :)
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Is it bad that this post reminded me I wanted to make a milkshake? Lol.
    But we make a lot of smoothies here. I kind of just throw in whatever I have really. Apples, bananas, grapes. Strawberries raspberries. I like using frozen fruit too. Frozen peaches are yummy. Little milk or juice. Flaxseed sometimes spinach, cucumber, or avocado if I have it and blend it up. Yum!
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Woohoo! I love me some smoothies! And even more these days since I have to break up my prenatal vitamin (it's in a dry capsule) and dump it into the smoothie so I don't taste it (gag). Now that the weather is getting warmer (not really, but I like to think that it will become spring at some point this year), my smoothies have shifted from thicker banana and almond milk-based smoothies to kale and OJ-based smoothies. I was using a Kitchenaid blender up until my mom got me a Bullet and now I'm hooked on it! Such an easy clean-up!

Side note: I happen to love the tart taste of kale (vs. spinach). It's much heartier, too.

This is what I'm currently drinking:

1 banana
    half an apple
    1 or 2 leaves fresh kale
    1 cup OJ

(Sometimes I'll add a carrot or some pineapple in there. The vitamin C from the OJ and/or pineapple will help your body absorb the iron from the kale. Dairy tends to inhibit your absorption of iron, so I've skipped mixing kale with yogurt or almond milk)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lct2008 said:
    Is it bad that this post reminded me I wanted to make a milkshake? Lol. But we make a lot of smoothies here. I kind of just throw in whatever I have really. Apples, bananas, grapes. Strawberries raspberries. I like using frozen fruit too. Frozen peaches are yummy. Little milk or juice. Flaxseed sometimes spinach, cucumber, or avocado if I have it and blend it up. Yum!
    Haha it's definitely not a bad thing in my book!  I swear the one I made today tasted like a chocolate PB milkshake. YUM.
    PM me for blog link!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"