Cloth Diapering

New to CD and starting my stash...

So I've been searching through the board, and I am SO overwhelmed by all of the info on different brands and types people like.  I currently have 18 BG 4.0 pockets 7-35lbs as that is what I registered for and got these at my shower.  I want to buy a few more, and don't know which other brand or style to throw into the mix.  I don't think I want AIO's. While baby is a newborn, can I not use the BG? I see so many people use newborn size diapers but for some reason this seems like a waste of money to me.  If I can't use my BG, then should I just use the hand me down prefolds I have?  And if so, do I buy covers for those. HELP! LOL
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: New to CD and starting my stash...

• The BG 4.0s will likely be too big for your NB. Prefolds are a popular choice for NBs, and yes, you will need covers over them. Do you know what kind of prefolds you were given?

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited April 2014
    The BG 4.0s will likely be too big for your NB. Prefolds are a popular choice for NBs, and yes, you will need covers over them. Do you know what kind of prefolds you were given?
    Hmm, no idea.  I am a ftm so I know nothing about this!  :\"> but they are the very old school kind that are thick in the middle and thinner on the edges.  My cousin used them as burp cloths, not as diapers... Also how long until I can use the BG? Should I just use the sposies I have from the shower until then instead?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If they were used as burp cloths, they are probably gerber prefolds, and no they probably won't be absorbent enough.  BG's will probably fit around 10 lbs.  A newborn stash will honestly pay for itself pretty quickly, plus since they are used for a short amount of time, the resale value is high.  But a lot of people do just choose to use sposies until OS diapers fit.  It's up to you. 
    Do you have CD safe detergent?  Do you know your wash routine?  Do you have wetbags?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I agree with Jane.  The BGs will be big around scrawny NB legs for at least the first couple weeks, maybe 6-12 weeks depending on your baby and his/her birth weight. 

Prefolds or flats are one of the most economical ways to CD during the NB stage.  They do need a cover, but you can get good covers for as cheap as $5, and if you use a snappi with your prefolds and a jelly roll fold to contain poo you can re-use covers 3-4 times before they need washed.  We generally recommend 36 prefolds/flats/fitteds and 6-8 covers to wash every other day.  1/2 that if you are willing to wash every day.  

The reason Jane asked what type of prefold you have is because some don't work well --- cheap Gerber ones for example --- also prefolds are sized so if what you have is too big it may be bulky on your NB.  Which is fine as long as it doesn't bother you, but you'd want to have bigger cut covers rather than the teeny NB ones to be sure you can fit the prefold under. 

Another option for the NB phase is buying used or doing a diaper rental.  Since NB diapers aren't used for very long, they generally stay in good shape.  So you can get some like new diapers for 30-50% off retail.  Diaper rentals let you try different brands and styles of diapers for a small monthly fee and a bigger deposit.  Most stores give you your whole deposit back if you return the diapers in good shape and use the $ to buy bigger diapers.  

As far as other brands/types to try for the bigger phase:  I highly recommend trying some sort of hybrid/all-in-two (AI2) diaper to use for your diaper bag.  That is basically a cover with inserts that lay into the cover or snap in.  Just like prefolds mentioned above, you can re-use the cover as long as it doesn't get poop on it.  So for a day trip you could just pack one extra cover and 3-4 inserts instead of 3-4 bulky diapers.  Best Bottoms are pretty popular on here as AI2s, but Flips, Grovia AI2s, and even just tri-folding a prefold and laying it in a cover are other options.

My favorite pocket is probably SoftBums Omni because their aplix (velcro) is awesome.  I also like Blueberry and BumGenius pockets. Blueberry Simplex diapers are much loved all-in-ones (AIOs) around here.   For covers I like Blueberry Coveralls, Sweet Pea, and Thirsties Duo.   
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• CLLDLL said:
    I agree with Jane.  The BGs will be big around scrawny NB legs for at least the first couple weeks, maybe 6-12 weeks depending on your baby and his/her birth weight. 

Prefolds or flats are one of the most economical ways to CD during the NB stage.  They do need a cover, but you can get good covers for as cheap as $5, and if you use a snappi with your prefolds and a jelly roll fold to contain poo you can re-use covers 3-4 times before they need washed.  We generally recommend 36 prefolds/flats/fitteds and 6-8 covers to wash every other day.  1/2 that if you are willing to wash every day.  

The reason Jane asked what type of prefold you have is because some don't work well --- cheap Gerber ones for example --- also prefolds are sized so if what you have is too big it may be bulky on your NB.  Which is fine as long as it doesn't bother you, but you'd want to have bigger cut covers rather than the teeny NB ones to be sure you can fit the prefold under. 

Another option for the NB phase is buying used or doing a diaper rental.  Since NB diapers aren't used for very long, they generally stay in good shape.  So you can get some like new diapers for 30-50% off retail.  Diaper rentals let you try different brands and styles of diapers for a small monthly fee and a bigger deposit.  Most stores give you your whole deposit back if you return the diapers in good shape and use the $ to buy bigger diapers.  

As far as other brands/types to try for the bigger phase:  I highly recommend trying some sort of hybrid/all-in-two (AI2) diaper to use for your diaper bag.  That is basically a cover with inserts that lay into the cover or snap in.  Just like prefolds mentioned above, you can re-use the cover as long as it doesn't get poop on it.  So for a day trip you could just pack one extra cover and 3-4 inserts instead of 3-4 bulky diapers.  Best Bottoms are pretty popular on here as AI2s, but Flips, Grovia AI2s, and even just tri-folding a prefold and laying it in a cover are other options.

My favorite pocket is probably SoftBums Omni because their aplix (velcro) is awesome.  I also like Blueberry and BumGenius pockets. Blueberry Simplex diapers are much loved all-in-ones (AIOs) around here.   For covers I like Blueberry Coveralls, Sweet Pea, and Thirsties Duo.   
    For AI2's why can't I just use a BG 4.0 and lay a prefold on insert on top?  Why do you have to buy an AI2 diaper specificallly?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsRahl Because the inside of a 4.0 is absorbant material.  It will soak up pee and poo and you won't want to reuse that.  A cover is typically a wipeable waterproof material you can just wipe clean and reuse.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited April 2014
    TJ1979 said:
    @MrsRahl Because the inside of a 4.0 is absorbant material.  It will soak up pee and poo and you won't want to reuse that.  A cover is typically a wipeable waterproof material you can just wipe clean and reuse.
    So should I go with an AI2 or just a plain old cover?  Are there differences between these 2?  Also what do you ladies typically use inside? Prefolds or liners like hemp/bamboo/MF? What would the flip be considered?

Edit to add: If your newborn is over 7lbs, why don't the BG fit? Is it the leg size of the nb that are too small? I'm expect a large baby as both my DH and I were both over 9 lbs and many cousins with babes over 10! lol
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    edited April 2014
    MrsRahl said:
    TJ1979 said:
    @MrsRahl Because the inside of a 4.0 is absorbant material.  It will soak up pee and poo and you won't want to reuse that.  A cover is typically a wipeable waterproof material you can just wipe clean and reuse.
    So should I go with an AI2 or just a plain old cover?  Are there differences between these 2?  Also what do you ladies typically use inside? Prefolds or liners like hemp/bamboo/MF? What would the flip be considered?
    Also just to be sure you know, the inserts that came with your 4.0s are microfiber (MF).  That material cannot go next to baby's skin.  It will dry it out & possibly cause a nasty rash. 

The big difference between doing a prefold/flat in a cover vs. an AI2 system is that the inserts that you purchase as part of an AI2 system snap into the cover some how.  That prevents things from bunching/moving.  Personally, we've never had any trouble with a prefold/flat bunching or moving as long as the cover had a good fit.  

That being said, I still like my Best Bottoms a lot.  They are great for daycare/babysitters because for some reason laying a flat/prefold into a cover confuses some people.  Plus you need to be sure a prefold/flat is all the way tucked into a cover.  Sometimes that's hard for a caregiver to remember.  It shouldn't be, but we've had leaks from that. 

ETA:  My favorite is Green Mountain diapers (GMD) flats or Wal-mart flour sack towels (FST) pad folded and laid into a cover.  I do occasionally use AppleCheeks bamboo inserts or prefolds because I have some too.  

The Flip is an AI2.  They sell both a suedecloth topped microfiber insert (called a stay dry insert) and a natural fiber (cotton) insert.  I'm just meh about their inserts.  I like the covers well enough though. 

image imageimageimage

• @CLLDLL I had no idea about the MF not being against baby's skin so thanks for that! I would have made that mistake. so for just plain covers for newborns over the prefolds, what do you suggest? what is the difference between a prefold and a flat? Do you use those triangluar snappy/grabby things with the prefold, then put the cover on top?  I thought I was set with my pockets and now I'm panicking! LOL
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • MrsRahl said:
    @CLLDLL I had no idea about the MF not being against baby's skin so thanks for that! I would have made that mistake. so for just plain covers for newborns over the prefolds, what do you suggest? what is the difference between a prefold and a flat? Do you use those triangluar snappy/grabby things with the prefold, then put the cover on top?  I thought I was set with my pockets and now I'm panicking! LOL
    Don't panic!  You get the fun of more diaper shopping!

I definitely recommend using a snappi during the NB stage.  It helps keep all the poo in.  After they stop pooping all the time, I usually just fold it into rectangle that fits into my cover and lay it in.  No snappi. 

Some good teeny tiny covers to use if you get specific NB sized prefolds are Sweet Pea NB, Bummis Super Brites, Econobum NB, and ProWraps.  Covers that get small for NBs, but also have bigger size options (usually up to around 15 pounds) are Thirsties Duo size 1, Assunta, Rumparooz NB, and Blueberry Mini Coveralls. 

image imageimageimage

• Yes, even though the BG says it will fit a 7 pound baby, NB thighs are generally not chunky enough. If there are any gaps between the leg elastic and the baby's leg, you'll get leaks. That said, if you think you're possibly going to have a 9+ pound baby, you might get away with starting with the not-tiniest prefolds (skipping the NB orange edge prefolds) and going to yellow. There are lots of pics on the website that can help you decide. On the other hand, the yellows make great stuffing for pockets and can be trifolded in a cover later when baby is too big for them to be snappied or pinned on.

• I used OS pockets for my first 3 from birth..... #1 was 8lb. 6oz, 2 and 3 were 6lb. 11oz. This time around I am investing in prefolds and covers for the newborn phase. I was able to make the pockets work, (RaR which I believe run smaller than other OS pockets) but I did not like them. The fit was terrible on new babies and the diaper was so huge that none of their clothes fit. Also, their bum was so fluffy from diaper that when you laid them on their back, they were arched because it was so bulky. It had to have been uncomfortable for them. If I could do it over, I would have started with prefolds for the NB stage with my first. I bought GMD newborn prefolds and RaR newborn diaper covers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @skybee, so are you saying you now WOULD use rumparoos (is that RaR?) with newborn prefolds, or would not?  At the beginning you said you didn't like them but at the end you said you bought newboard RaR diaper covers, so I wasn't sure what you meant...
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Also @skybee and @CLLDLL did you buy cotton or bamboo prefolds or both?  Also can you wash these together, especially initially when washing for the first time?  I know not to wash the MF with natural...
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I did not like the RaR OS pockets on a newborn, but I do like them overall. (All 3 of my boys are currently in the pockets) I bought RaR newborn diaper covers for my newborn prefolds for the new baby. I purchased the unbleached cotton prefolds. I have decided I love cotton..... MF has become quite a headache for me. You prep natural fiber diapers differently than MF, but after prepping, I plan to wash everything together on a regular basis. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have cotton and bamboo prefolds. I like cotton better. They clean up easier. The bamboo is more absorbent, but you won't really need that in the NB phase since they don't sleep for long periods of time.

For prepping you can wash any natural fibers ( cotton, bamboo, hemp) together and they all need washed and dried 3-5 times. The first wash or two you don't want any synthetics (MF) in there since the oils used in processing natural fibers can stick to synthetics. Synthetics and any covers get washed once. After prepping you can wash everything together.

image imageimageimage

• MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    Thank you everyone for the info! It has given me a lot to work with!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"