Baby Names
Options

Sigrid?

My husband and I really like the name Sigrid, but he is worried it's too unusual.  I feel like it's not common, but it is familiar.  We really like German/Scandanavian sounding names (our first daughter's name is Elsa).  What do you think?  Is it too weird?  Thanks!

Re: Sigrid?

• Options
    It's not familiar to me at all, I don't think I like it. How is it said?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

How do you pronounce it?  Sigh-grid?  I'm not really a fan of this name. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

yuck.

but it's your kid. ?your choice.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    No, definitely nms.
  • Options

I think it's fine. It makes me immediately think of the clothing designer (Sigrid Olsen).  Not sure I would choose it but I think it's a perfectly respectable name.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • Options
    maybe as a middle name? I would keep searching German names, maybe something that's a little more integrated into American culture.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds made up
  • Options
    Never heard of it.
  • Options
    I don't care for it.  It sounds a bit like you are saying cigarette really fast.
  • Options
    Nms at all.
    border=
    DD 10/31/09 - BFP 3/22/11 M/C confirmed 4/9/11 at 8w4d - BFP 10/5/11 EDD 06/16/11 BabyFruit Tickerimageimageimage

*Vote on our Baby names*
  • Options
    It's a little different.  If you are really set on using that name, I would consider maybe using it as a middle name instead.
  • Options
    I've definitely heard the name Sigrid before.  The thing is, Elsa is a beautiful name while Sigrid is not so much.  The name Sigrid makes me think of a strong, bulky German woman with a bad personality and the looks to match.  Basically I'm thinking of the mean woman from the movie "Matilda" if you've seen that before.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    Wait, is it for a girl?!? I thought it was a boy name! That makes me hate it even more.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

i think Elsa is a pretty name.. Sigrid = not.  My family is German and i can say- there are some ugly german names.... my grandmother's for instance- even she hates it... 'Irmguard".

My middle name is Gretchen - which i don't mind now but hated as a kid. At least it's more common here and nobody would question it... Sigrid = not common - i have never heard of it- and i'm of German descent.

• Options
    It's really nms.
  • Options
    I vote no.  How about Astrid?
    promised myself I'd retire when I turned gold, and yet here I am
  • Options
    Sigrid is bizarre. Astrid and Ingrid are similar, but less unusual names. As far as German-ish names, Marta and Brigitta (a la Sound of Music) are nice.
  • Options
    Not a huge fan. I think it's a little too unique.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

Sigrid is not fabulous.  My German Grandmother is Eva (pronounced Ava) some other cute options: Renata, Greta, Giselle, Viveca... Google german names there are some really great ones.

• Options
    Ditto the pp, I'm German but Sigrid doesn't appeal so much to me either.  There are tons of wonderful German names out there, and Sigrid could be a good middle name.
  • Options
    Elsa is SO much prettier than Sigrid. ?Sigrid does not at all sound like a pretty name, and I don't agree that it's familiar.
  • Options
    I love it!  Although, take my yes vote with a grain of salt because our daughter is named Edith.
  • Options
    It's only ok if you are actually of German heritage.  If your last name is McElhiney, I will laugh out loud.
  • Options

I wouldn't name my child Sigrid, but I think it's a perfectly respectable name. Like Ingrid or Astrid.

• Options

I love it and I also love the name Siri!! Maybe bacause I'm actually swedish and my youngest niece is named Sigrid (her sisters are named Ingrid and Astrid) and a friend named her baby girl Siri. I don't know how you would pronounce Sigrid in english though.

Oh, and I think it's more Scandinavian than German.

• Options
    Sigrid is NMS, but I love the suggestion of Greta.  That would be really cute with Elsa too.
  • Options

NMS but I think it is a fine name.

• Options

Sorry, I don't like Sigrid.  I thought it was a boy's name.

I work with a girl in Germany and her name is Brigitta and I've always thought that was pretty.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"