November 2012 Moms

work BS on an epic scale

I have been invited by a collaborator to a workshop to think out some large scale issues. A variety of other people will be  here, all experts in their respective field. My boss and I are the only people representing my little corner of the universe. I have e years in the area. He has 8, but a brilliant 8.

The organizer called to tell me that I was very junior and that he had considered that they wouldn't bring me if they could get someone better known. Then he told me I shouldn't speak all that much. He mansplained that I am chatty and that I should really listen to what the higher ranked people have to say on the topic. I should clarify that my boss and I are the only two people on the planet that do precisely what I have been brought here to talk about.

Did I mention that I am the only woman on the schedule? There is no shortage of women in the fields within the scope of this workshop. Maybe everyone else said no.I am, admittedly, here because I get a free trip to see a friend tomorrow...and, I can tell the fancy pants people at this workshop about my new job at big deal institution. I'm hoping it leads to fruitful projects.

So basically, I'm accepting some seriously sexist s#$% because I want to network and see a friend. I can't say my boss would do the same thing. Seriously contemplating buying a copy of Lean In. It can't be worse that this.

It's worth noting that my boss is passing the project on which we collaborate to me next year. This is why you shouldn't pi$$ on people who are coming up.

Re: work BS on an epic scale

• Asshole! When you are an even bigger deal and they invite you again then you say no, because you're too chatty. 
  • Thank you @uconnhuskie007‌! It was a photo shoot, first time we had professional pics done of her and it turned out great.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks guys.

@PaulaKNL - the kicker is, when I got there I was asked for a list of women in science. The first thing I thought was "I am not your binder filler" :)

That picture of your LO is damn cute, btw!

@uconnhuskie007 I came up with another term after that "medsplanation" - which is when an MD tries to explain your own, non-medical area of expertise to you. It happens to me professionally on occasion by both male and female MDs. I think some research clinicians are so used to being the authority and explaining matters to their patients that they just can't turn the explanation switch off.  It can be kind of charming, when I am in good humour.

I am a scientist. I've realized in recent years that Olympic-level sexism occurs in the sciences. I've seen snippets of it before, but this was the first time I have had to deal with someone so brazen.
  • @maven212 thanks for the cute comment!

About science and sexism, yes, that is very true. I saw some of that shit when getting my master's degree and having a baby in the middle of it. I hope it gets better for you and all women in the field.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"