March 2014 Moms

MOTN-Putting LO Back to Sleep HELP!!

Sorry if this has been started already.

For MOTN feedings, LO falls asleep pretty well afterwards, and if she doesn't right away, we will rock her for 5-10 mins. Most of the time, as soon as we lay her down (in newborn napper in pnp) she wakes up soon after and will fuss. Usually I'll try to pop in her paci, but then I find myself just continuously putting it back in over and over again. All in all a "feeding" takes over an hour with trying to get her to settle down and into a good sleep. My first thought is that she's still hungry, but usually that's not the case. (She'll usually take 3-4 oz, of which is every 3-4 hrs) I am familiar with the 5 S's and realize she's used to a certain amount of movement while sleeping in the womb, but obviously I can't give her "movement" all night. And, sometimes I think white noise wakes her up if it keeps playing all night, so we will play some but only for a little while. Also, we discovered that she will sleep better without the swaddle so we have stopped that-not sure if that bit of info helps. (This problem has been ongoing for weeks.)

Just curious, does this happen with your LO's and if so, what have you tried that works? I'm running out of solutions and am desperate for sleepier nights!!

Re: MOTN-Putting LO Back to Sleep HELP!!

• I will put my hand on LO's chest and gently rock him back and forth while shshhing him. I also lightly rub his forehead and face.
    Me 28 DH 30 Married 08-11-07 TTC since 07/11 HSG 01-21-13 Left FTB Seeing RE 1-28-13 RE 1-28-13 Both tubes blocked LAP surgery 2-15-13 Both tubes removed Started IVF #1 June 2013 Meds: BCP, Lupron, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Medrol, Doxycycline
    Beta #1-BFP!!! HCG-55 Beta #2--111 Beta #3--2,825 Beta #4 22,031 1st U/S 7-29-13 Saw and heard our little sweet pea's heartbeat!! 109 bpm 

• Loading the player...
  • MA&CBMA&CB member
    We have this issue too, but it's usually because he's gassy and needs to burp after I feed him.  When he starts crying, generally he's about to spit up, and I need to pick him up and burp him.  It can go on for at least an hour before I get all the burps out, and is frustrating.  Gripe water and gas drops have helped a little.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We let LO fuss for a bit and she usually goes right to sleep. If she starts crying I'll pick her up but will let her be until then. There are times she's awake when I put her down so I've found keeping a nightlight on is good for her so she can stare at the shadows until she passes out. Lastly, I've tried not to get into a habit of rocking her because she will likely end up becoming dependent on this to doze off. I want her to learn how to soothe herself into sleep without my help.
  • How much does she fuss?  Is it just whimpering and the occasional couple second cry or is it a lot of crying?  My LO falls asleep in my arms after a MOTN feeding but then is awake as soon as I put her down.  She whimpers a bit and moves her arms and legs a lot.  I call it her little dance that she does.  But I just put her down, shut her door and go back to bed and she usually falls asleep within 5-10 minutes.  So if the fussing isn't a lot you might want to try just putting her down and walking away and see if she goes to sleep soon after.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• nkrone08 said:

We let LO fuss for a bit and she usually goes right to sleep. If she starts crying I'll pick her up but will let her be until then. There are times she's awake when I put her down so I've found keeping a nightlight on is good for her so she can stare at the shadows until she passes out. Lastly, I've tried not to get into a habit of rocking her because she will likely end up becoming dependent on this to doze off. I want her to learn how to soothe herself into sleep without my help.

We use a night light as well. I agree to let her fuss a bit, and we will pick her up after a little of this as well. With the rocking, I'm torn bc with DD1, yes we got into the habit of rocking her and breaking her of that habit at 6 months was soooo hard (as well as breaking swaddle habit too-sheesh!). But then again, I keep remembering that you can't "spoil a baby" and that if she needs us to soothe her by rocking her, then I want to be there for her as only her mama can. Oh man- these babes! :-? Thanks for the input!
  • It took me a bit to figure out with my first, but I realized that if I just let her fuss around for a bit (5-10 minutes) she would conk out. Mind you, this is just fussing- the grunting, shifting, gurgling noises newborns make, and not crying. Have you tried just letting her be for a bit?

ETA- This was also on the advice of my pedi who said that a lot of times, babies are in fact about to fall asleep when they fuss, and it is us, the parents, who stop them from doing that by rocking them, picking them up, popping in a pacifier, etc. 

Yep all of this.
  • @SuheyF1983 Trying this as we speak!
  • It took me a bit to figure out with my first, but I realized that if I just let her fuss around for a bit (5-10 minutes) she would conk out. Mind you, this is just fussing- the grunting, shifting, gurgling noises newborns make, and not crying. Have you tried just letting her be for a bit?

ETA- This was also on the advice of my pedi who said that a lot of times, babies are in fact about to fall asleep when they fuss, and it is us, the parents, who stop them from doing that by rocking them, picking them up, popping in a pacifier, etc. 

Yes, I have...but unfortunately it usually leads to actual crying. I agree to let her make her newborn noises though...until I get the other aspect of her- the wide eyed "deer in headlights" look- then all bets are off and I'll do anything to make her fall asleep. Maybe that will only go on for so long before she WILL pass out...wishful thinking due to boredom?? I'll let her be a little longer tonight.Thanks for responding!
  • We just let him fuss like pp said, it's mostly grunting. I just tell myself he's not crying, he's ok and I doze off. If he wasn't ok, he'd cry and let me know.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How much does she fuss?  Is it just whimpering and the occasional couple second cry or is it a lot of crying?  My LO falls asleep in my arms after a MOTN feeding but then is awake as soon as I put her down.  She whimpers a bit and moves her arms and legs a lot.  I call it her little dance that she does.  But I just put her down, shut her door and go back to bed and she usually falls asleep within 5-10 minutes.  So if the fussing isn't a lot you might want to try just putting her down and walking away and see if she goes to sleep soon after.

It varies...but I'd say most nights the little "dance" she does (awe that's cute!!) leads to her sad crying, as in "wait wait wait don't leave me!!" type of cry. It's really sad :( also she is still in room with us, so no walking away just yet for us.

I am FTM here but have found this to be true! LO is 7 wks old. At first I was trying to ensure he was 'out' totally before trying to put him down, and if he made any noise I was there to pick him up.

This past two weeks I have been laying him in the bassinet when he is drowsy -not asleep- and he sleeps deeper and longer after letting him grunt, moan, and rustle around into his own sleepy spot.
  • I went through this for a while and this is what worked for me...

1) Watch what LO looks like while grunting and fussing... eyes closed?  If so then just let him be and see if he just needs time

2) Listen to the grunts he makes.... maybe he's gassy?  I've been giving gas drops at every feeding and I think that has helped a bit.  Also burp a lot.  Sometimes my LO will go on a marathon of grunts and then will let out a large fart and then will be more content.  .... of course.... I have no idea how to help farts... it's not like you can burp those out lol.  But burping more than you think might help.  (and yes I know sometimes burping wakes up LO... so I also haven't figured out a good balance for this either)
  • I tried a combo of many of your suggestions last night and we had a better night, truly. Waited till she was just in a zone and just about to fall asleep. Then I put her down and rocked her napper while rubbing her belly gently and she passed out. (While playing pandora soothing sounds as well) the other time she cried she truly screamed and was hungry again so we fed her more. Then she passed out from DH rocking her a couple of minutes. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions....it's a work in progress!
  • @SuheyF1983 Yes, it worked well! Made her eyes close really fast! (I love that station for me as well now lol) great syggestion- thanks! I just always assumed babies like "baby" music only- clearly not!

this. this. this. x100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

Totally agree! Never let my older 2 fuss and they were terrible sleepers. My doc said I needed to let her learn to put herself to sleep by allowing fussing and even a little crying as long as it was only for 5 min

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"