October 2014 Moms

Would you go?

My husband wants to run a marathon in the finger lakes on October 5. I'm not due til the 29th and I'm ok with him going. I'm just not sure if I want to go. It's a 3.5-4 hour drive and we'd have our two little ones with us. And I just don't think there's anything for me to do with the littles. Him and his friend plan on leaving Saturday morning and getting home Sunday evening. I want to support him and all, but it just doesn't sound like fun at almost 37 weeks pregnant. I'm leaning toward staying home, but hope I'm not being a bitchy, unsupportive wife. And also, marathon running is just not a spectator sport.

So, would you suck it up and go?
~Miss K born 1/8/2011~Miss I born 1/3/2013~2 angels~
Baby #3 is on the way!  EDD 10/29/14

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Would you go?

• Don't most doctors recommend you stay within a 1 hour radius of the hospital after 36 weeks? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • edited April 2014
    I think I would evaluate (in collaboration with my ob) my pregnancy and situation closer to race day and make a decision at that time, though my gut that this early on I would be anticipating not to attend.

ETA: My other consideration would be, will you even be able or want to stand or sit (if it's an option) on the sidelines for the entire race?  If not, it will compound the stress and discomfort because you will be disappointed you did all that traveling and didn't even see much of the race.  
    Loss Blog (finally updated)

imageimage
    5 cycles of "TTC" - 3 intentional, 2 not so intentional.  5 BFPs.  My rainbow arrived 10/15/14.
    TFMC 08.02.13 at 19+ weeks. Everyday I grieve for my little Olive.

• Loading the player...
  • I say no way. I assume we'll all be super uncomfortable about that time, and like @Jennifer18131 said, the folder my OB gave me said to stay close to home once you hit the 36 week mark.
    Me: 30 | DH: 4/12/85 - 6/16/14 | Quinn Patrick born 9/28/14
  • I most definitely would NOT go. You'll be exhausted at the end and with 2 LO's you'll be even more exhausted.

• I wouldn't, and I definitely don't believe that it makes you a bitchy unsupportive wife if you don't. Wrangling two kids while that pregnant doesn't sound like much fun to me, and I don't think my midwife allows travel that late in the pregnancy.

n Chart</a>"http://www.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Charww.fertilityfriend.com" style="font-size:smaller;" >Ovulation Chart</a>

BabyFruit Ticker

• I honestly have no clue what the "cut off" is and what my doctors are comfortable with. I'm not too concerned about delivering around that time since neither of my kids came even close to early. And I'll be near hospitals. It's not like I'm traveling someplace with no healthcare. I guess I just think I'll be miserable!

And obviously, I wouldn't go if there were any concerns. And neither would my DH! He's well aware of that!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't and I would want him to stay. 

FTM - BFP: 1/23/14 - EDD: 10/5/14 - DD Born 9/13/14

• 36 weeks was when I decided it should be illegal for any woman to be working... you're just too uncomfortable and possibly going through major Braxton Hicks or worse... Stay home and rest! Do some thing with friends or by yourself and get a sitter! You can support him by giving him a nice gift (new shoe laces or a nice special dinner when he gets back). Or have a congratulations banner at home with some cake?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Yep, I would sit that one out.  Too many variables.  Between being super pregnant, your other los, and the drive.  Nope.  Do something for yourself that day and just do something to congratulate him once he returns home.
  • I would probably skip. Being 37 weeks pregnant and chasing kids is hard enough at home! Plus a 4 hr car ride. Your DH should definitely understand. 
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • OMG stay home!
  • HiCan said:

I think a 4 hr car ride at 37 weeks sounds miserable!  I don't think you're being unsupportive by the way.  It's pretty much an out without sounding bitchy.  ;)

This plus I think you are being supportive just by taking on the kids alone and letting him get away from home for the marathon.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• ss265ss265 member
    I agree... stay home and rest.  Also, consider a backup plan in case you go into labor that day.  Make sure you have childcare AND someone to be with you at the hospital.  Murphy's law and all that.

This!

• I would tell him to go and have fun and stay home with the kids.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If it was me, and I didn't have the little ones, I'd consider it, but try to leave it as an decision to be made sort of week of.

Taking the kiddos into account?  Nooooo thank you.  A 4 hour car ride with 2 kids sounds torturous enough, but add in a bladder the size and shape of a pancake and that just sounds no fun at all. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't go. I had DS at 36 weeks it was totally unexpected my water just broke and had to be induced. It's always a possibility your baby could be early.
  • I wouldn't go. And I would agree with you about marathon running not being a spectator sport. The most my family ever does when I am running a race is to come to the finish line about 30 minutes before I am scheduled to finish.

• @Happyin14‌ Thanks for the wine suggestions. He will have to bring me a souvenir. I'll definitely need the wine with three kids! ;).

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"