3rd Trimester
Options

To pack or not to pack

I know I need a bag for me, but do I have to pack for baby or will the hospital have everything I need for the little guy?

Re: To pack or not to pack

• Options
    Check with the hospital. Ours gave us a list of what they provide (not everything) and what we are responsible for.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Definitely ask the hospital. They might have a list of things you need on their website. Some provide everything you need, but my hospital gives out squat. Not even maternity pads, apart from the one they put on you straight after the birth.

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We only took an outfit to go home in last time. This time I'll be taking an empty bag to load up with diapers and have DH take some home every time he goes home to stock up, but still will only bring a going home outfit for LO.
  • Options
    My birth centre gave me a list of suggestions that I'm working from.

Definitely a going home outfit and a few sets of clothes for you though (I brought spares with my first, which is lucky because I bled unexpectedly all over my PJs!

• Options
    I brought a few potential "going home" outfits (really just cute pajamas) for DS, and it's a good thing I did. He had his first diaper blowout right after I put his going home outfit on!
  • Options
    I brought a couple of outfits and the pacifiers we had from home. I didn't want him to get used to the ones in the hospital and not use the others so we started him on those immediately.
  • Options
    You can get a list from your care provider or website if there is one.

Depends too as some facilities will give you everything and anything. Others will give you minimal basics, if anything. I don't get a thing, so I have to be prepared. I think all I get is a peri bottle.
  • Options
    "Most" hospitals provide everything you need.  I only pack sleep sacks, maybe a hat, what she is wearing home and a blanket.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • Options
    I did not even pack much for my self! Just tooth brush face wash, hair brush, chap stick and phone charger, thats it...

For baby I brought a going home outfit, and the cloth diapers we wanted to use for going home... 

For my husband we packed phone charger and swim shorts, (so he could stand in the shower with me during labor) thats all!

We fit it all in a grocery bag! Classy I know but your are so concerned with everything else, and our baby was mostly naked for skin to skin, he never had clothes or blankets around him, just me and hubs!

Good Luck!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    Not sure where you are but im UK Scotland and this is my third time around and neither hospital have provided anything at all. so needed a bag for me and baby and i also took change of t shirt and boxers for hubby and snacks/drinks plus phone changers.

deff call you hospital for details
  • Options
    All I needed was a going home outfit. And really, if it wasn't December... Could have gone without. The hosp provided all. Even a cute diaper bag as a gift. But not all hosp are the same. I would say however... When the nursing cart is in your room, remove the diapers and toss them in your bag. When my nurses came and took the cart, they refilled it each time. I wish I had noticed. I was able to ask for extra newborn diapers which carried us through. But he grew very quickly... If he lingered any longer at that weight, we would have needed to go out and buy some.
  • Options

What the others said + I would recommend mittens and/or a baby nail file. My hospital didn't provide this and DS was slashing hit poor little face with those little razor blades of nails he was born with. 

• Options
    The hospital had everything I needed for DS, all I packed for him was a going home outfit (and had the carseat in the car).  If you're unsure, call the hospital and ask, that's what I did.

• Options
    Your little one is going to need at least one outfit to go home, I think.

"Don't worry about the haters... They are just angry because the truth you speak contradicts the lie they live."

-Dr. Steve Maraboli

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Each time I brought PJs for LO, a coming home outfit, and an empty diaper bag. They gave me so many diapers, wipes, mesh panties, pads, booklets, paper work, samples and so on. It helped to have somewhere to put it all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"