Cloth Diapering

WFD?

I've been struggling with dinner lately. Give me some ideas! Bonus points for something quick and easy, or that I can prep ahead of time, and just tell DH to turn the burner/oven on and he's good to go. And I think the slow cooker is out since I don't have anything defrosted ATM....

Re: WFD?

• Slow cooked chicken teriyaki with brown rice and broccoli.

Egg and ham sandwiches.

Gnochi with with sautéed chicken, zucchini, and mushrooms with pesto.

Left overs tonight.

Then we'll be gone for the rest of the week.
  • Loading the player...
  • My go to for easy and quick is to precook or pregrill and freeze chicken breasts. Since they are already cooked you can thaw quickly in the microwave. You can do just about anything with them. Boil some pasta and open a jar of marinara sauce. Add some taco seasoning and simmer for a couple minutes for tacos or fajitas. Throw on some bar b que sauce and serve with veggies. Have a chicken sandwich.
    Married 6/18/11
    BFP #1 10/26/12 DS born 6/30/13
    BFP #2 10/30/13 MC 11/25/13
    BFP #3 1/18/14 DS #2 born 10/7/14
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image   Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My go to for easy and quick is to precook or pregrill and freeze chicken breasts. Since they are already cooked you can thaw quickly in the microwave. You can do just about anything with them. Boil some pasta and open a jar of marinara sauce. Add some taco seasoning and simmer for a couple minutes for tacos or fajitas. Throw on some bar b que sauce and serve with veggies. Have a chicken sandwich.

I do this a lot actually. Enough that I think we're out of chicken breasts. What about a tuna Mac n cheese casserole? Who has a good homemade recipe? Most things I'm finding say to use the boxed stuff.
  • stoneycakesstoneycakes member
    edited April 2014
    Mapleme said:
    NVandGZ said:
    My go to for easy and quick is to precook or pregrill and freeze chicken breasts. Since they are already cooked you can thaw quickly in the microwave. You can do just about anything with them. Boil some pasta and open a jar of marinara sauce. Add some taco seasoning and simmer for a couple minutes for tacos or fajitas. Throw on some bar b que sauce and serve with veggies. Have a chicken sandwich.

I do this a lot actually. Enough that I think we're out of chicken breasts. What about a tuna Mac n cheese casserole? Who has a good homemade recipe? Most things I'm finding say to use the boxed stuff.
    I don't use a recipe, but my mac and cheese is based on one we used to make at a restaurant that I used to work at and I love it. I make a cheese sauce (flour & butter roux plus spices like basil, thyme, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper, then whisk in a bottle of beer (optional), let it thicken, then whisk in whole milk until it's like a runny gravy, then add a load of shredded cheese - 1-2 lbs - and let melt away from the heat), toss it together with my cooked pasta plus any sauteed veggies (I love cabbage in my mac and cheese, also onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peppers, etc). You could add tuna at this stage. Put it into a greased casserole pan, cover with a layer of shredded cheese (1/2 lb ish), then top with a layer of crushed potato chips (thick cut chips, like Kettle are best for this). Bake at 400 until bubbly and golden. Whenever we make it we usually make an extra casserole dish of it and freeze it before the final bake then take it out to thaw the day before we want to use it (although it could probably be "quick thawed" in the microwave or at a lower temp for 20 minutes or so in the oven, since everything in it is cooked).
    @MapleMe that sounds amazing!  I'm definitely trying beer in my mac and cheese next time.

@NVandGZ, lately I've been making a quick mac and cheese by just heating up about a 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of milk and probably about a 1/4 lb of American cheese, broken into pieces.  You could use any cheese, but the American makes a nice smooth sauce.  I do it in a small sauce pan on medium and stir it pretty much the whole time to prevent burning, but it melts in just a minute or two.  I add a little mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper once it's melted.  Then I just put it on hot pasta and eat it.  It's super fast and you could obviously add any meat or veggies that you like.

ETA: That amount of sauce is enough for 1/2 a box of pasta or maybe a little more, depending on how cheesy you like it.
  • Random question: Do you guys give your kids things that have been cooked with wine or beer?
  • Random question: Do you guys give your kids things that have been cooked with wine or beer?
    I haven't, but I would.  the alcohol is cooked out
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

I don't cook with it often, but it would depend on the amount and cook time.

My daughter has had brats cooked with beer.
  • I made this! Chickpea and rice soup.  With cashew cream and kale.  It's so good! :) 

I used wild rice in it last night.  This'll be meals for the next few days 

• My favorite make-ahead dish is Beef Florentine. You can do the filling, throw some cheese on top, and it's a casserole DH can throw in the oven for 30 minutes. If you have more time, you can layer the filling with oven-ready lasagna noodles, marinara, and ricotta cheese and you've got a lasagna. (Again, oven for 30 minutes.) If you really, really have time, you can boil some manicotti shells (I think that's what they're called) and stuff them with the filling and ricotta. (I don't remember if this one is baked or not.)

Filling: Brown about 2 lbs of ground beef. Drain. Steam a large bag of fresh spinach or cook two packages of frozen spinach. Drain. Stir together with 1 can cream of celery, 1 cup sour cream, 2-3 tbsp dried minced onions, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to taste. I like to add a (drained) can of mushrooms to mine, too.

• Mandmeesh said:
    I made this! Chickpea and rice soup.  With cashew cream and kale.  It's so good! :) 

@mandmeesh the link isn't working for me.  :(

Also, could you please make me a batch of cashew cream and kale?  Sounds delicious!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Last night we had fancy grilled cheese - tomato, mozzeralla, and basil mayo on good bread. If I'd had more time I would have actually made pesto.  Not make ahead but takes about 15 minutes and feels more exciting than regular old grilled cheese. 

Tonight I think we have zero planned. Maybe soup since it feels like winter.

Had baked ziti with sausage earlier this week. Ziti, marinara, sliced Italian sausage, ricotta and mozzerella mixed together and baked...easy to pre-prep and everyone will eat it.
    That sounds great.  I've been trying to incorporate more sandwiches into our dinner routine.  We always enjoy them but we never make them for some reason.  Great to save on dirty dishes, too.
  • I'm not proud of our dinner tonight but it's quick and easy so I'll share. I've been cutting carbs a lot since my m/c to get back to a healthier weight, but tonight is a pro carb night!
    Whole grain egg noodles with jarred pasta sauce and a few ounces of cream cheese added, loaded up with veggies. I think we'll be doing mushrooms and sauteed spinach. I may bake it at the end but it's doubtful!
  • Last night we had fancy grilled cheese - tomato, mozzeralla, and basil mayo on good bread. If I'd had more time I would have actually made pesto.  Not make ahead but takes about 15 minutes and feels more exciting than regular old grilled cheese. 

Tonight I think we have zero planned. Maybe soup since it feels like winter.

Had baked ziti with sausage earlier this week. Ziti, marinara, sliced Italian sausage, ricotta and mozzerella mixed together and baked...easy to pre-prep and everyone will eat it.
    That sounds great.  I've been trying to incorporate more sandwiches into our dinner routine.  We always enjoy them but we never make them for some reason.  Great to save on dirty dishes, too.
    @stoneycakes Mmmmm, blts!  Please tell me you like blts and we can be friends.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • OMG @mandmeesh, that looks delicious!  I was picturing that as two separate dishes, a chickpea and rice soup, and also a cashew cream and kale dish.  Sort of like creamed spinach, but vegan.  And now I want both of those things.  MH doesn't love soup for dinner, plus it's already hot here in Texas.  But I might make a batch of that for me to eat for lunches after LO gets here! 
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Oh here's my contribution:

Monday was shepherd's pie.  And I'm not proud of this, but I use instant mashed on top of my shepherd's pie because it's so easy and everyone likes it at my house.

Last night I made a pork pie that was fabulous. Like so fabulous that I felt bad for the rest of world because they couldn't try it.

Tonight and tomorrow will be something easy. Maybe brinner or BLTs tonight.  I'm going to the farm to buy meat today so I'm hoping something will inspire me.

Friday will probably be enchiladas with homemade tortillas and enchilada sauce.  I just got a tortilla press and a blender that I need to try out!

• LOL @TJ1979!  I just typed that I was thinking about BLTs for dinner before I read your comment.
  • @TJ1979‌ mh doesn't like soup much either. But he loves this one. It's so yummy. And a good leftover

• This post has great timing.  I'm making my grocery list for next week instead of working. 

Sunday we grilled brats and hamburgers.  I served homemade baked beans, party potatoes, and mojito fruit salad (yummy).

Monday - homemade veggie pizza with feta cheese, artichoke hearts, red peppers, and tomato slices.

Yesterday was karate at 5:45.  So I make chicken nuggets and tater tots with watermelon.

Tonight is slow cooker pulled pork with root beer sauce, roasted veggies, and rice pilaf. 

Thursday will be something with chicken breasts.

Fridays we go out to eat. 

image imageimageimage

• N_KozN_Koz member
    I meal planned and shopped yesterday so this is us 
    Sunday and Monday- Turkey meatloaf muffins with roasted rosemary potatoes
    Tuesday- last of the meatloaf and mashed cauliflower
    Wed- chicken sausage and peppers with sweet potato fries
    Thursday- Turkey chili for a potluck
    Friday- Leftovers from potluck hopefully
    Saturday-Chicken breasts and couscous with orange asparagus
    Sunday and Monday- Turkey tacos with mexirice and refried beans 

image   Visit The Nest!   Visit The Nest!
    BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary 
  • We're going super fancy this week. So far meals include:

Burrito night

Spaghetti

Dino nuggets, mac n cheese, and veggie

Breakfast for dinner

See what I mean about fancy?? This is my "I'm lazy and don't feel like doing a mass amount of dishes every day" meal plan.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • CLLDLL said:

This post has great timing.  I'm making my grocery list for next week instead of working. 

Sunday we grilled brats and hamburgers.  I served homemade baked beans, party potatoes, and mojito fruit salad (yummy).

Monday - homemade veggie pizza with feta cheese, artichoke hearts, red peppers, and tomato slices.

Yesterday was karate at 5:45.  So I make chicken nuggets and tater tots with watermelon.

Tonight is slow cooker pulled pork with root beer sauce, roasted veggies, and rice pilaf. 

Fruit salad recipe please? And the root beer pork too pretty please.
    @stoneycakes‌ pork pie sounds terrible but I must know about it!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• DH said he was going to grill some pork chops and make a slaw and a side of potatoes. But I think dinner is going to be on the late side .... 7:35 pm and no sign of him yet. Been keeping DS happy so far with fruit and rice cakes and milk.
  • CLLDLLCLLDLL member
    edited April 2014
    This post has great timing.  I'm making my grocery list for next week instead of working. 

Fruit salad recipe please? And the root beer pork too pretty please. @stoneycakes‌ pork pie sounds terrible but I must know about it!

-----Silly Box----

Mojito Fruit Salad

Pulled Pork w/ Root Beer Sauce (from Betty Crocker cookbook)
    1.) Trim fat from a 2.5 to 3 pound pork roast.  Season with salt and pepper.  Warm oil in a large skillet, and brown the pork roast.
    2.) Chop two medium onions into wedges.  Place in the bottom of a slow cooker and top with 1 cup root beer (not diet) and 2 tablespoons chopped garlic.  Place pork roast on top.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours or High for 4-5 hours.
    3.) Meanwhile, combine 3 cups root beer and 1 cup chili sauce in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups.  Stir occasionally. If desired add 1/4 tsp root beer concentrate and several drops of hot sauce.
    4.) When pork is finished cooking, discard the cooking liquid and let pork rest a few minutes.  Shred with two forks.  Serve on rolls/hamburger buns and top
     with the root beer sauce, lettuce, and tomatoes, if desired. 

ETA: Fixed typos.

image imageimageimage

• This post has great timing.  I'm making my grocery list for next week instead of working. 

Fruit salad recipe please? And the root beer pork too pretty please. @stoneycakes‌ pork pie sounds terrible but I must know about it!

Whenever I've done the root beer pulled pork, I just throw some root beer in the crock with the pork, drain it,pull it, add BBQ sauce. I like the easy crock pot recipes.
  • Mapleme said:
    NVandGZ said:
    My go to for easy and quick is to precook or pregrill and freeze chicken breasts. Since they are already cooked you can thaw quickly in the microwave. You can do just about anything with them. Boil some pasta and open a jar of marinara sauce. Add some taco seasoning and simmer for a couple minutes for tacos or fajitas. Throw on some bar b que sauce and serve with veggies. Have a chicken sandwich.

I don't use a recipe, but my mac and cheese is based on one we used to make at a restaurant that I used to work at and I love it. I make a cheese sauce (flour & butter roux plus spices like basil, thyme, mustard powder, onion powder, garlic powder, chili flakes, salt and pepper, then whisk in a bottle of beer (optional), let it thicken, then whisk in whole milk until it's like a runny gravy, then add a load of shredded cheese - 1-2 lbs - and let melt away from the heat), toss it together with my cooked pasta plus any sauteed veggies (I love cabbage in my mac and cheese, also onions, garlic, carrots, celery, peppers, etc). You could add tuna at this stage. Put it into a greased casserole pan, cover with a layer of shredded cheese (1/2 lb ish), then top with a layer of crushed potato chips (thick cut chips, like Kettle are best for this). Bake at 400 until bubbly and golden. Whenever we make it we usually make an extra casserole dish of it and freeze it before the final bake then take it out to thaw the day before we want to use it (although it could probably be "quick thawed" in the microwave or at a lower temp for 20 minutes or so in the oven, since everything in it is cooked).
    @MapleMe that sounds amazing!  I'm definitely trying beer in my mac and cheese next time.

@NVandGZ, lately I've been making a quick mac and cheese by just heating up about a 1/4 to a 1/3 cup of milk and probably about a 1/4 lb of American cheese, broken into pieces.  You could use any cheese, but the American makes a nice smooth sauce.  I do it in a small sauce pan on medium and stir it pretty much the whole time to prevent burning, but it melts in just a minute or two.  I add a little mustard, garlic powder, salt and pepper once it's melted.  Then I just put it on hot pasta and eat it.  It's super fast and you could obviously add any meat or veggies that you like.

ETA: That amount of sauce is enough for 1/2 a box of pasta or maybe a little more, depending on how cheesy you like it.

I used your Mac n cheese, with cheddar since we didn't have American, and added a bottle of beer. I hope it's yummy. It just needs to be popped in the oven at dinner time.
  • Mandmeesh said:
    I made this! Chickpea and rice soup.  With cashew cream and kale.  It's so good! :) 

How many nights does can everyone do the same leftovers? I feel like DH gets whined/bored after the second night.
  • @Candlequeen, pork pie is ground pork with diced onions and potatoes baked in a pie crust.  You add liquid to the pork and simmer it for a couple hours so everything gets really soft before you put it in the pie shell.  It's seasoned with poultry seasoning and a touch of cloves.  It's yummy.
  • NVandGZ said:
    Mandmeesh said:

How many nights does can everyone do the same leftovers? I feel like DH gets whined/bored after the second night.
    I try to make enough so that we only have one night of leftovers.  Unless it's something like spaghetti sauce which can be reinvented throughout the week to make different meals.
  • NVandGZ said:

Mandmeesh said:

Mh is the king of leftovers. The soup he will do for two or so days, then it's up to me.

• We had homemade pizza tonight. One with cheese and the other with spinach and peppers. Yummy!

• I made a cheese sauce and I'm going to mix it with spaghetti squash, broccoli and chicken. I really wanted macaroni and cheese after this thread but I'm trying to be mostly gluten free.
    TTC since 11/1/12
    BFP 1/2/13
    Ultrasound showed no heartbeat 2/14/13
    BFP 12/7/13
    EDD 8/18/14
    1st Beta 89, 2nd Beta 214
    Stick Baby Stick!!!
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member

I made a cheese sauce and I'm going to mix it with spaghetti squash, broccoli and chicken. I really wanted macaroni and cheese after this thread but I'm trying to be mostly gluten free.

That sounds good! If only cheese weren't dairy...
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Mandmeesh said:

Yeah, if we had the same food two nights in a row dh would throw a serious hissy fit. We will occasionally do a leftover night if there are multiple nights' leftovers in the fridge and I need a break, but otherwise leftovers are a lunch thing. I love for leftovers. Dh is generally not a fan. BUT if you can make extra one night and use that for a few different meals that's awesome. Like if I make meatloaf I make two and freeze one. Then I make mashed potatoes with it. Then the leftover mashed potatoes I use in shepherd pie. Which could use leftover ground beef from say sloppy joes or tacos. By the time we've done a week or so of meals and used up leftovers everyone is ready for the second meatloaf.

Actually, I meant that DH will have the same thing the next night. But more leftovers that that doesn't seem to go over well. But maybe this is an issue because I apparently have a problem figuring out how much to make inthe first place. Like tonight, by the time I was combining everything in the baking dish,I needed to split it into a second dish. So I guess some of it is gonna be frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"