August 2014 Moms

This article is timely...

https://pathwaystofamilywellness.org/Informed-Choice/are-ultrasounds-causing-autism-in-babies.html
I was just thinking about how nice it would be to NOT have had an ultrasound that showed a "soft marker" that ended up being nothing but caused me much stress.  I know my mom refused them with both of her pregnancies..... don't know that they can say anything for sure but this does make you wonder.
"There is more to us than we know. Perhaps, if we are made to see it just once, for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less." - Kurt Hahn, Founder of Outward Bound

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: This article is timely...

• potterowl said:
    I don't think there is ANYWHERE near ENOUGH research yet to say that ultrasounds cause autism. if, at some point there is great peer reviewed research then we will need to do something different. But- the increase in autism has come after the increase in ultrasounds. And, for some babies- getting that ultrasound and finding problem early is life saving. 

but... there is research saying that autism is a 2nd trimester disorder. we are finding that it probably starts then. but we still don't know what causes it. and my guess is that what causes it in some kiddos is different from what causes it in other kiddos... i.e. heterogeneous etiology- much like bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. 

ok, i shall get down from my autism soap box. can you tell this is what I do all day?
    What is it you do again? (I'm seriously asking, because it sounds really interesting). I am very interested in neurological disorders and what causes them. For instance, I have OCD, and I read a lot of research on what causes the compulsions and obsessions, and what the difference is in the brains of people that have OCD and those that don't, and why this difference exists. In another life, if I had started college when I was 18, I could have imagined a career in this.. but, it remains one of my nerdy interests :)
  • Loading the player...
  • @potterowl I think I love you in a creepy internet type of way.

Ditto-thats awesome :)
  • K&M9 said:
    djhar said:

I'm not going to read it, because I've read enough about ultrasounds and have enough anxiety over the 19 I had last pregnancy. However, they were necessary in my situation, so I don't regret them.

I do think that people (in general) need to remember that ultrasounds are a medical test and not just "I want to see my baby!" I had multiple people on my BMB last pregnancy who lied about symptoms or made things up to get an extra or early ultrasound. That, in my opinion, is pretty ridiculous. Getting a regular, doctor ordered ultrasound to make sure your baby is growing and developing properly is not.

Agreed wholeheartedly. Story: we're team green, but we were going to have the tech write down the baby's sex and seal it in an envelope for my mom, because she was dying at the notion of not knowing. Day of ultrasound: baby won't participate, so we don't know what it is anyway. Cue the long line of people telling me to either make up a story to get another ultrasound or to go to an elective ultrasound place to get an additional one. Uh, no. 

As for autism, here's the thing: there are going to be a million and one things that correlate with the rise in autism rates. None of that necessarily means causation. Alarmist articles and speculations aren't going to help anyone, and in fact will continue to hurt people because parents will continue to avoid necessary medical treatment out of fear for their kid developing autism. 
    So much this. Correlation does not equal causation.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"