January 2014 Moms

Travel help. So lost

I need help. I'm not sure what to do. My LO is 14 weeks and we are going to take a trip to see family at the end of June. (She will be about 5 1/2 months) We would normally drive (it's 22hours altogether but we spread it in two days) but I know we cant keep DD in a car for that long at once so we are looking into flying. The thing about that is we have a dog who absolutely hates her carrier and cries. She has separation anxiety
And freaks when we even get back from the store. Also, we wouldn't know what the LO would sleep in while we are visiting. I don't know what we are going to do without her swing and stuff for a couple weeks she loves that thing. Is there anyone who has any experience or suggestions on what to bring and do? Thanks in advance

Re: Travel help. So lost

• Here are some questions that I think are pretty necessary...

Why wouldn't you just drive and make more frequent stops? I'm just curious, because that would solve the problem of the "stuff" at least.

Where are you staying? At a hotel or a relative's home?

If you drove, would you bring the dog? Would she be in her carrier in the car if you did bring her?
  • Just as a quick suggestion, in case I am busy later. Ask a relative to enlist help to borrow things. My SIL is coming to town on Thursday with her 2 month old -- she asked me if I had friends with things they were done using. I was able to find her a tub, a bouncer seat, and a swing to borrow while she's here.
  • Loading the player...
  • My SO is in the military so we only have a couple weeks of leave and don't really want to use that on traveling. We are staying at a relatives house and don't know anybody there with baby stuff to borrow. If we drove the dog wouldn't be in a carrier but would be coming.
  • I would leave the dog at home, fly and buy a travel swing and crib.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• I can't help you with the dog part, but you could still enlist a relative's help for the baby stuff. (If you have helpful relatives, that is.) You could ask them to check out consignment shops for used baby items (such as a swing, bouncer seat, pack n play..) to use while you are there. But I would bare it down to the essentials in order to not have it taking over your relative's home, you know?

We are traveling to St. Thomas in 3 weeks and I've been testing out different things to do. For example, my son naps in his rock n play right now, but we'll only have a pack n play while we are there. So I created a nest in his PNP to simulate the feel of the RNP and test out naps there.

The other thing to consider is the fact that by 5 1/2 months, your baby might have outgrown the swing. That's still 2 months away. We barely ever use the swing in our house anymore and could honestly live without it if we needed to. I know that's not the case for everyone, but by that time your baby will be quite different. Just keep that in mind.
  • Also, I would bring your car seat and stroller and bring the carseat on board. It is the safest way. Plus this would be a long flight.
    My TTC History:
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)

My Charts since 2009

• I wouldn't fly with the dog in luggage. They take horrible care of them and some die.
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

• We just got back from a trip with LO.

My first recommendation is to download and read "Flying with Baby" by Meg Collins (about $2 on amazon). It's a very quick read but so so helpful. As far as sleep, bring your pack n play. It can be checked for free.

I was worried about the swing and the bouncer and all her STUFF she loves too, but honestly, she was too busy checking out all the new faces, giggling at our faces, and sleeping to even care or remember. If you've got the car seat, stroller (both gate checked for free (the book gets more into this)), pack n play, and carrier, you're more than set.

Besides that ebook, my last recommendation would be that if you're used to a boppy and you have one of those travel neck pillows, bring it because it's basically a mini boppy!

Can you board your dog somewhere? Ours is very social and we brought her to camp bow wow (same boarding price as anywhere else around here) and she had a blast!
  • I wouldn't fly with a dog unless he was small enough to go in the cabin with you. Would a friend watch your dog for you while you are gone? I know boarding a dog can get expensive, so maybe someone would be willing to house/dog sit?

While you don't know anyone where you are going do your relatives know people who could lend you baby gear? I think you will be surprised at how much your DD will change in the next two months. I'm sure you will be able to get by with less gear.
  • Thank you all for the suggestions. We are the people that thinks of our dog as one of our babies so we couldn't leave her because the family wants to see her as well. I've never flown so I have no idea how it works. We just purchased a pack n play so that should be enough to sleep in. The only thing is what to do with our doggie.
  • Even if I could fly with my dog in the cabin (pretty sure that she's just a smidge too big) I'm not sure that I would, especially if she hates her carrier. They have to remain in the carrier at all times during the flight and I just think that would be too much for my little girl. I would never, ever fly with a dog who was too big to bring in the cabin.

I'd personally get a dog sitter or look into boarding. My dog is my first baby too, but based on her personality I know that she'd prefer not to travel. She hates long car rides, and would really hate being confined in a carrier for a long time. It ends up being the kinder option. I'm sure your family would understand.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • cja06cja06 member
    I'll say that I think you could do it in the car if you want to and are wiling to make frequent stops. We just did an 800 miles ride with a 6yo, 3yo, and baby. It is about 13 hours. We split it over two days going there, but did it all in one day coming back. We left at 3 am coming back so the kids were asleep for the first few hours and were home by 5 pm. 22 hours would suck, but is doable with a baby if you have done it with your dog before. Then you can bring as much stuff as you want. That says, we only brought the stroller, moby, boppy and pack n play. We borrowed a bouncer from a friend at our destination and were fine.

• Thank you all for the suggestions. We are the people that thinks of our dog as one of our babies so we couldn't leave her because the family wants to see her as well. I've never flown so I have no idea how it works. We just purchased a pack n play so that should be enough to sleep in. The only thing is what to do with our doggie.

Dude, I love my dog too. That's why I would never put her in cargo. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1940065
    My TTC History:

My Charts since 2009

Our dogs are our family too - and that's exactly why we won't fly them on a plane, especially in cargo. The dog would be better off staying home and medicated while y'all are gone.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I did two long car trips with DD when she was between 3-5 months old. The first trip was from California to Texas, second from Texas to New Jersey. Each trip is roughly 22-24 hours. We broke each trip into 2 1/2 days and 2 nights. In all honesty, it was not that bad and I was able to bring my baby gear.

In regards to flying your dog, I only fly our dog (who is too big to fly in the cabin) when it is absolutely necessary. When we moved to the UK he had to fly and that was really tough on him. He did okay, but ended up with a couple sores and bumps and a bad case of kennel cough (even though he was up to date on all his shots).

________________________________________________________________________________________________

sibling love  

• I think the best thing to do is just drive and take frequent breaks so LO isn't cooped up the whole time and I won't have to worry about our dog. I miss her when she is just getting a haircut so I couldn't imagine leaving her. Thank you guys.
  • I think the best thing to do is just drive and take frequent breaks so LO isn't cooped up the whole time and I won't have to worry about our dog. I miss her when she is just getting a haircut so I couldn't imagine leaving her. Thank you guys.
    I'm glad you made that choice. Even though the drive will be long, to me, that seems like the best option for your circumstances.
  • Oh, another tip I forgot to add from our recent trip--use overnight diapers. They will save your life and allow the trip to be pleasant. They say they hold up to 12 hours, but of course, change baby whenever you can on the trip. Our DD is vocally very good at letting us know when her regular diaper needs changed NOW, but she can wait (and doesn't seem to notice) when she's in an overnight diaper. I really have to attribute the no-crying-on-the-plane that happened to these!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"