November 2014 Moms

NT Scan Question

With my first pregnancy, I never had an NT scan.  Is it really just a super involved ultrasound?  I know what they are looking for, but it seems like several people have also found out the sex of their baby/babies at this scan.  How likely is this?  I am asking mostly because my DH travels a lot for work and was not planning to be at the NT scan.  Now he is wondering if he should move some travel around so that he could be there in case we are able to find out what flavor our babies are.  
DS born August 2011
TWINS are on the way!

Re: NT Scan Question

• I don't know anyone who has found out the sex of their baby during the NT scan. 12-13 weeks is really too early to tell on an u/s. 
    BFP 2.22.14 | EDD 11.2.14 | DS 11.7.14
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The people finding out already are finding out via the genetic blood tests, like MaterniT21. Those are not part of the NT scan, they are different.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Ours really didn't take longer than a dating ultrasound and like others have said, it's not in any way meant to find out gender. Most OBs will recommend waiting until at least 16-20 weeks to evaluate that.

BFP #1- 4/2011; DD Brynn born 12/2011

BFP #2- 7/13; EDD- 4/2/14; Lost DS at 20 weeks (11/16/13) due to cord accident

BFP #3- 3/14; EDD- 11/28/14; Lost DD at 15 weeks (6/7/14)- cause unknown

To my angels- I held you every second of your lives and I'll love you every second of mine.

• I just got mine today, and for the first time in my experience, the tech made a guess as to the sex of the baby. She asked a couple of times if we wanted to find out, and when we said yes, she said that she thinks it's a girl; she also stressed that it's not a certainty since at this point it is difficult to tell. Honestly, I almost wish we'd said no when she asked if we wanted to find out since we're just driving ourselves crazy now wondering how accurate they can possibly be at this stage.

As for the ultrasound itself, it can take a while if the baby isn't cooperating (mine refused to get in the necessary position for the measurements she needed to take), but they're only looking for a few things at this point.
  • Agree with above posters. The NT is not good at figuring out sex of the baby. The anatomy at 18 or so is when you can typically find out the sex. Anyone saying they found out at the NT is going on a guess. I do know the gender but that's because I had the materniT21. The fancy bloodtests will tell you, not the regular bloodwork they send at the NT scan, like AFP, ext. 
  • Ok.  Thanks ladies!  That is sort of what I thought.  I think the DH is just terrified of missing something big like finding out the sex of the babies since he misses so much already with the travel for work!  I also keep hearing these stories about techs guessing the sex and then finding out later they were wrong and that would just blow my mind.  Finding out I was having twins was enough of a twist for me with this pregnancy!  HA
    DS born August 2011
    TWINS are on the way!
  • If you look up NT scan on YouTube you can get a better idea of what it's like. They will be looking to make sure that baby has a nasal bone, measure the NT and see if the baby has any markers for chromosomal or non-chromosomal abnormalities.
  • So how do you get the special tests. I go for my nt and blood work Monday. I really want to know like fast just like everyone else. I wasn't going to buy anything till my anatomy scan and unfortunately all the garage sales will be over.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
  • mb314mb314 member
    edited April 2014

s for the ultrasound itself, it can take a while if the baby isn't cooperating (mine refused to get in the necessary position for the measurements she needed to take), but they're only looking for a few things at this point.
    This.  I just came back from mine.  It was 30 minutes because the baby wasn't cooperating and wouldn't move to a good position. 

And as PP have said, a sex determination at the NT scan is only 50% accurate :).  Those who are finding out earlier are doing more involved tests, like the MaterniT21 test.  Those are usually for women who are higher risk and/or had a concerning NT scan.  I'm over 35, and I still wont' get a MaterniT21 test unless my NT scan/bloodwork show a large concern.  The vast majority of women don't find out the sex until the anatomy scan at 18 - 20 weeks.

• abbyful said:
    The people finding out already are finding out via the genetic blood tests, like MaterniT21. Those are not part of the NT scan, they are different.
    Yes, Mat21 is the definite answer that you can get around 12 weeks. At our NT scan last week we asked if they could take a guess at the sex of the baby and it looked like a boy (for obvious reasons it's easier with a boy) but no one takes that as the official verdict. And probably the tech won't be looking unless you ask. So if your DH isnt planning to be there, just make sure they know you dont want any hints. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker

• I had my NT yesterday at my high risk OB, I thought for sure they were going to be able to tell, I even asked them if they could tell me based on the angel of the dangle theory, they said no.

• The woman who scheduled mine on the phone said it wasn't worth my husband coming, but he decided to anyways and was so glad he did.  It was our fourth ultrasound and by far the best.  The baby looked like a baby for the first time.  We saw all hands and feet and arms and legs.  It moved and squirmed all around like a cutie.  It kept moving its arm to its head and back down by its side.  They showed us fluid in various organs implying they were all connected ok and functioning properly.  They also confirmed the intestines made their way inside the baby and the umbilical cord was in the right place.  We were both so glad we were there.  Obviously, if he can't make it, he can't.  But it was a truly awesome experience for us.

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"