Trying to Get Pregnant

Intro, stress and Temping ?

Hi everyone! I am new to the board. My husband and I have been TTC for coming up on 8 months now. We've been married for about 2.5 years, I'm 28 and he's 29. I came off of BC in August and we started TTC in October. My cycles have been 24-50+ days... currently on Provera to start my cycle after Fertilaid messed it up (haven't gotten my period since being on Fertilaid, stopped taking it after about 35 days or so). My husband has had an SA, which we just found out today was normal. I talked to my OBGYN today and she knows my stress level is pretty high. I know it's normal for a healthy couple under 35 to take up to a year to get pregnant, but it's really not making it any easier. My best friend is due in July and I have her baby shower coming up this weekend. 

Anyways, I've been using FF and OPKs and have had a positive every month but hadn't started temping until this month (more than halfway through the cycle, was just starting to start because I was lurking and it seemed like people really recommend it). My temps have been all over the place. I told my OBGYN that I started temping and she didn't recommend it with my high stress level. I also work shift work. I work mostly 16 and 24 hour shifts so have a rather irregular sleep pattern, which I've been reading about others who do shift work and temping seems to work for them still. I think I'll still plan to temp for a month or two and see what happens. She said if I don't get a BFP this coming month that I could make an appointment and we could talk about doing further work up on me now that we know everything is OK with my husband. 

Has anyone else had an OBGYN recommend starting testing sooner than a year? Are there others that feel like they know they are Oing by monitoring OPK and CM each month? Just looking for some people who are in the same boat as me. Looking forward to meeting more of you and hearing your stories! 

Re: Intro, stress and Temping ?

• First of all, welcome.

Is TTC the only factor in your stress? I'm not sure why your OB thinks you should avoid temping -temping totally takes the stress out of trying to analyze my cycle. I don't have any experience with fertility testing but from what I can tell from reading others' experiences on here is that unless you arehaving consistent   anovulatory cycles, short LPs, or other pre existing conditions that may hinder TTC, testing before a year (or 6 months is you're over 35) is not recommended and most likely unnecessary and you should see an RE, not an OB.

ETA: Also, in your post on Fertilaid 12 days ago you said you've been TTC for 6 months. 

Thanks for the advice. When I reported 12 days ago I was counting cycles sinch we've been TTC, but now that it's almost May, when I count the months October thru May, we are coming up on 8 months of TTC.
  • For most, temping reduces stress.  I had no idea what was going on in there before I started temping, and now I pretty much always know what's going on. It also helped me to identify a super short LP that I would never have known about otherwise.  

I work 8-16hr night shifts and also have a very erratic sleep cycle.  I have never had a problem identifying my ovulation date with temps. It's a little surprising that your doctor discouraged it, she should be encouraging you to take charge of your reproductive health.

• Loading the player...
  • Hi, and welcome!

I had a chemical pregnancy last month, so I went in to see my OB....she also said I shouldn't temp, and that OPK's would suffice and are much more reliable.....so now I'm not even sure I want to keep seeing my doctor because I do not agree with her. She just said that temping can fluctuate due to stress, infections, sleep patterns, etc., so it's not exactly the most accurate way to see if you ovulate. I have been temping for about a year, and I disagree...I have about 95% of the time been able to clearly see when I ovulate, and I feel I know my body better because of it. And last month I never even got a fully positive OPK, so there's that also. OPK's are good to use in conjunction with temping b/c they help you catch your surge before O.

My doc recommended that I wait 8 to 10 cycles before seeking further help, BUT I am on cycle 5 right now and I will be 35 in 3 months, so that may be why she suggested doing testing sooner than a year.

Best of luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Me: 37 DH: 38 
    BFP #1 3/17/11 - DS born 12/4/11
    TFAS Dec 2013
    BFP #2 - 3/23/14 - CP 3/26/14
    BFP #3 - 8/20/14 - Natural Miscarriage 9/22/14
    BFP #4 - 1/28/15 - DS2 born 10/13/15
    Surprise BFP# 5 - 9/2/16 - Due 5/13/17

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards