Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Pull Ups vs Cruisers (XP)

My son (25 months) is "flirting" with potty training.  He's peeing or pooping on the potty once a day pretty regularly at daycare, but isn't into it at home yet.  I'm thinking of switching him to Pull Ups from his Cruisers - because of the potty training but also because it's getting more and more difficult to get him to lay down for diaper changes.   Any drawback to switching to Pull Ups during the day?  I'm thinking we would still use regular diapers at night since he'll need extra protection overnight.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Pull Ups vs Cruisers (XP)

• Options
    JENandJEHJENandJEH member
    edited April 2014
    We only used Pull Ups because his daycare required it.  If I had my way, we wouldn't use them at all because they are more expensive than diapers and just like a diaper.  He didn't care that they went on differently than a diaper, he just knew that they felt and held like a diaper.  He didn't potty train until school was out for the summer and we could ditch the Pull Ups.

ETA:  I'm talking about my oldest because my youngest is no where near ready to potty train so we haven't even started.  Oldest we tried starting around 26 months (because school pushed us) and he wasn't ready.  Tried again around 2.5 and he still wasn't ready/interested and I didn't care to clean up an accident/clean my carpet everytime he used the bathroom.  Tried at a 3y 2m and he potty trained in a day.    
  • Options
    We use both and let DD decide what she wants to wear. One advantage of the pull-up style is that they can pull it up/down on their own, which makes for more independence during potty training, but I've found that the pull-ups don't hold as much as the regular diapers. The pull-ups are also supposed to be more "wet", so that the child can feel if they pee, which is supposed to help with potty training (DD doesn't seem to care though!).

1 miracle Earth baby and 5 Angel babies

~All welcome~

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think Pull Ups are a waste of $$.  If they are ready to potty train, go right to regular underwear.  It only takes a few times of having accidents til they get the point.  I think Pulls Ups give a false sense of security for parents and kids.  They are expensive and they are messy and leak.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP, go right to underwear and deal with the inevitable accidents that happen. My son still sleeps in a diaper for naps and overnight, as he is still in a crib and can't get up to go to the bathroom. If you're going to leave your son in a diaper for sleep, go with an actual diaper instead of a pull up (for reasons listed above). Then take him to the potty as soon as he wakes up. Change him back into underwear.
  • Options
    aeh72aeh72 member
    Thanks everyone!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I used pull-ups for nap time and nighttime while DD was potty training.  We did underwear during the day.  Because most kids do not day and night train at the same time I felt it was helpful to have the pull-ups.  We called them bedtime diapers so my DD knew they were only to be worn during bed until she was ready.  
  • Options

DS potty trained at 25 months, but without the use of Pull-ups.  He went bare bottomed at home for a weekend (worked great!) and then straight to underwear all day.

We currently use Pull-ups only for bedtime.  We have called them "nighttime undies" from the beginning because he recognized that diapers were for babies.

DS 11.24.11
    MMC 3.30.16
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"