March 2014 Moms

My baby sleeps too much??

Now I'm second guessing myself... I'd love to hear your thoughts, specifically if your LO is sleeping at night well.

I just posted on Facebook how happy I was to take a nice long relaxing shower because my son has been napping for 2 hours thus far. He woke up at 545, I nursed him, then we hung out for about 45 minutes, and then I put him down for a nap. He's stirring a bit bit he's still sleeping.

I literally got 7 replies saying how shocked they were because I was willing to let him sleep so long... Then they said, "no wonder he only sleeps for 3 hours at a time a night".

During the day DS has fallen into the routine of eat for about 30min, stay awake for another 45-60 min, nap for 2-3 hours. It's very rare for him to nap less than 2 hours each time. This is a routine he had established... I didn't force any of it.

I thought this was normal?? Isn't it?? (He'll be 5 weeks tomorrow)

Sometimes I hate Facebook.

Re: My baby sleeps too much??

• This is my first rodeo so I don't know if it's normal. But mine generally sleeps 3 hour blocks at night and will nap anywhere between 30 minutes and 2-3 hours during the day. I stay away from Facebook.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm going to assume he wakes up to eat. So those comments are ridiculous. Him waking up more during the day won't make him less hungry at 3am.

You are right. You know your baby. Don't second guess yourself. And yay! for awesome naps during the day!
    baby boy: 3.19.2014
  • Loading the player...
  • FTM here, but if mine doesn't get at least one 2-3 hour nap during the day, he is such a cranky pants at night and sleeps worse overnight. Ignore people, they don't know what they are talking about

IAmPregnant Ticker image VOTE on my Name List
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
    March Siggy Theme
  • I don't know if there's a normal or not. But since I started working on the schedule he only naps for about an hour to an hour and a half at a time. That's been giving me 4-5 hour stretches at night. Last night he got totally thrown off the schedule and was taking 2-3 hour naps. We only got three hour stretches at night.

I don't think either is right or wrong, but if you want longer stretches at night you could try shorter naps during the day

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• Laura8388 said:

Sounds normal to me. You can't keep them awake all day to expect better stretches at night.
    They then get overstimulated and over tired and can't relax enough to sleep long stretches at night

This. A usually has AT LEAST two 2-3 hour naps during the day, sometimes even a 4-hour nap, and he has just started sleeping through the night.
  • Laura8388 said:

Sounds normal to me. You can't keep them awake all day to expect better stretches at night.
    They then get overstimulated and over tired and can't relax enough to sleep long stretches at night

This. A usually has AT LEAST two 2-3 hour naps during the day, sometimes even a 4-hour nap, and he has just started sleeping through the night.
    I agree with all of this. Sleep begets sleep. I've found with both my babes that if they are overstimulated during the day and don't nap well, their nighttime sleep is crap.
  • Normal!

• Kara started sleeping 7 hours at a time at night (with minimal fussiness in the evening!) when I STOPPED waking her from naps. I agree with others who said babies this age get too overestimated to sleep.

People suggested that everything from food sensitivity to colic was causing her to scream from 9 pm to 1 am, but really she just needed more daytime napping.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
  • FTM here, but if mine doesn't get at least one 2-3 hour nap during the day, he is such a cranky pants at night and sleeps worse overnight. Ignore people, they don't know what they are talking about
    Exactly.

Sleep begets sleep. Let him snooze. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm firmly in the never wake a sleeping baby camp! Mine is 10 weeks old and sleeps a ton, but I think she's just a sleepy kid. Three hour stretches at night are completely normal at this point.
    Bubba, born Jan. 2007 * Sissy, born Apr. 2009 * Baby Sister, born Feb. 2014
  • Every baby is different and FB peeps are stupid. I say that's awesome.

I wish Addison slept like that during the day! I only get 15-30min cat naps.

• Sounds normal to me.  Do they not realize how young he is?  Newborns pretty much sleep all the time.  My LO sleeps (with getting up a few times for diaper changes and a bottle) from 11:30 pm till at least 9am (I might put her back in her crib so I can go back to sleep for a few).

She might be awake for an hour or two in the morning and again in the afternoon, but otherwise she just sleeps all day.  I mean what else is there for them to do when they're not eating?  They're too little to really play or do anything learning wise.  I'd say when they're closer to 4-6 months they maybe have dedicated nap times but right now they're still growing a developing a lot and need that sleep.
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"