December 2013 Moms
Options

A question for those who had trouble conceiving

DH and I are very close to my friend from college and her husband. They've been trying to have a baby for the last four years, and recently had another failed round of IVF. I know they've both been having an especially hard time lately and I'm a bit worried about them. I've told them I'm always available to talk, and I don't bring up their infertility unless they want to talk about it (and I've told them that I won't ask, but I'm always interested). I've told her that we're concerned for her, and she's admitted that they have been really antisocial recently because they are struggling. Despite the fact that they absolutely love LO, I realize it can sometimes be hard to be around us right now. 

They've done a lot for us over the years, and we'd really like to do something nice for them.  Is there anything that you might suggest? Or is it better to leave it be right now? 

Re: A question for those who had trouble conceiving

• Options
    I agree with PP's - invite them to do a fun non-kid activity and limit the amount of time you talk about your LO. A couples massage was a great idea!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We struggled to conceive for 2 1/2 years. Watching my friends get pregnant was so hard, especially since nothing seemed to work for us. What I wanted most during those times was to not feel so isolated and to be understood. You can't truly understand the pain if you've never been there but I sure did appreciate the friends that acknowledged my heartache and tried to understand. One spent a lot of time doing reading on resolve.org and that gesture meant the world to me. The whole experience is different for the woman than the guy. Personally I would take her out for coffee and a walk or drinks and ask her about it, then listen. Just listen. That kind of support is truly invaluable.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I really appreciate the suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"