March 2014 Moms

Question for all you EBF mommys

I apologize if this has already been asked I couldn't find it.

When DS was born 1 month ago nurses said to feed him on one side for 20-30 mins then offer other side if still seems hungry. Then at 1 week after his birth I met with a LC who said to let him eat on one side until he finishes then offer the other side like dessert. My SIL who's baby is 2 months older then DS was told to only offer one boob at each feed by her family doctor.

So far I had been doing what LC said but today when his pedi asked me to describe his feeding routine and I did he said I should feed him on one side for 10 mins then switch sides and do 10 mins on the other side. Which is the same thing my mom did with my siblings.

Now I'm confused as to which way is best. Any moms wiling to share which way they follow?

Thanks ladies

Re: Question for all you EBF mommys

• Just dropping in from a completely different board, but I would definitely not time 10 minutes at each breast. I've always the "dinner/dessert" process because that's what my LC said, too. You want to "empty" (it's never really empty) one breast and then offer the other and then switch which one is dinner and which is dessert at the next feeding. This helps both of your breasts get proper stimulation and to regulate your supply to meet your LO's demand.
    kids with flags
  • I have never heard it described that way before, but we do the dinner/dessert boobs. Sometimes the main course lasts longer than dessert, sometimes the other way around, sometimes they're about the same. I kind of just let her set the pace and decide when she wants to stop on one and love to the other, with burp breaks every twenty minutes to minimize gassy, fussy baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    March 26th, 2014
    9:38am CST
    7 lbs 0.8 oz
    19.75" long
  • Loading the player...
  • torilea said:

I feed her on one side then once she lets me know that she's done with it I offer the other. I was told that you're supposed to let them get as much as they could on one side before switching so that they get the hind milk.

This. I don't time anymore I just let her have one and when she unlatches I burp her, then we go back to that breast and nurse until she's done, burp again, offer other side. Keeps up the stimulation for production and gives her the mix of milk she needs.
  • I've done both with my kids - not really on anyone's advice it's just how it worked out depending on the baby and their preference.  Though mine would never eat for 20+ minutes on the regular, maybe during a growth spurt or something.  10-15 has always been typical even if they're only really taking one side.  
    imageimage 
  • Like PP's have mentioned, every baby's preference of what they like to do is different. If your LO is gaining weight and healthy I'd suggest keep doing what you're doing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Looks like I'm in the minority. We do 15 minutes on each side. Unless LO in latches and won't go back to that side or if she is still fussy after a full 30 minutes.
  • I do one side per feed, but in the beginnings I tended toward oversupply.
        image  image

• I always put him on my right first because that one doesn't produce as much. That way I know it will always get the most stimulation. Once he is done there then I put him on the left and he usually eats for about the same amount of time. I let him tell me when he has had enough of each one.
  • We usually follow the dinner/dessert method, but sometimes he only wants dinner. I let him lead - sometimes he feeds for 10 minutes on one side only, sometimes he'll feed from both for about an hour. 
  • I just feed her on one side until she's done; whether it's 5 minutes or 20 minutes. Then I burp her. If she's done for good ( she usually is) then I will just start the other breast next feeding. Sometimes she will want a little more and I'll put her on the other side, but then he next feeding start on that side I left off on.

I think that might be confusing how I explained it, but really, I just try and feed evenly on each side so I don't have lopsided tits! ( although the right always seems bigger no matter what).

• torilea said:

I feed her on one side then once she lets me know that she's done with it I offer the other. I was told that you're supposed to let them get as much as they could on one side before switching so that they get the hind milk.

This.
  • I always put him on my right first because that one doesn't produce as much. That way I know it will always get the most stimulation. Once he is done there then I put him on the left and he usually eats for about the same amount of time. I let him tell me when he has had enough of each one.

I'm kind of like this. Right now I'm doing right/dinner first for 2 feeds and left/dessert. Then, left/dinner 1 feed and right dessert. I'm doing this because my right nipple was injured at the beginning and never got a good supply established. It's getting better, and the left (which has always had oversupply) is normalizing. I'll switch back to alternating dinner/dessert right/left in the next couple days when the right seems caught up.
  • I let her finish one side, then offer the other which she may or may not take. I do like to keep her on the first side for at least 20 minutes, just to be sure she's getting fatty milk. But I don't automatically stop her at the 20 min mark. She's gaining and her poops are seedy yellow so this is working for us.
  • LO falls asleep at the breast after five or ten minutes, or I always just let him nurse then offer the other breast at the next feeding. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer as long as it works for you.
    February 19, 2010- BFP! March 14, 2010- M/C January 17, 2011- BFP! April 26th, 2011- It's a boy! Due September 20, 2011 May 2, 2011- Confirmed Gastroschisis August 7, 2011- Labor begins August 12, 2011- Max is born October 4, 2011- Max comes home!

image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I understand the idea of switching is to help you prevent engorgement rather than for baby, so as long as your breasts feel fine, do whatever suits. If you start feeling full then maybe change it up a little.
  • I do what he wants! I let him go as long as he needs to on one side, then sit him upright/burp, and even if he falls asleep I offer the other side. He usually takes it for a few minutes. My only problem is remembering which side to start with.

This!
  • Thanks so much ladies! It's good to hear that many people are doing the dinner/dessert way of feeding which is what we have been doing and seems to be working. It's just so confusing when everyone tells you to do something different.
  • kimberpookimberpoo member
    edited April 2014
    I'm in the feed on one side camp too. I start lo on one side, let him nurse as long as he wants, burp him, and if he is still awake I'll offer the other side. at the next feeding, I start with the opposite side.

good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"