January 2014 Moms

Weird sleep pattern

So Brennon has taken on a new, strange sleep pattern over the past 2 weeks. No point to this post other than to ramble. ;)

He wakes up around 6am, give or take 30 minutes. I feed him, he hangs out for about an hour, and then wants to eat again. About an hour or so after he wakes up, he's asleep again. Which isn't too unusual, I guess -- except he'll sleep for 4 hours. Then he won't sleep for most of the rest of the afternoon and evening -- just a few catnaps here and there.

I've tried putting him to bed earlier, but if I do that, he wakes up in the middle of the night and then fights naps all day. It's just not his thing, going to bed early. He's happy, gaining weight like crazy, and still sleeping through the night. He only has a short fussy period for about an hour each early evening. I am not really worried about it. It's just so strange because he basically sleeps from 9pm to noon or 1pm the next day, with only 1-1.5 hr of being awake.

BUT, the cool thing about it is that I can get a bunch of housework done in the morning and then spend the afternoons playing with him and running errands. Sometimes the car rides during errands are the only other naps he takes during the day!

Re: Weird sleep pattern

• One of the other babies in DD's room at daycare sleeps most of the morning, too. Her teacher said he started doing it about a month ago. (He's 5 months, not as young as Brennon.) She says it's just a phase and thinks it's his way of growing. :)

Sounds like a pretty great set up for right now, though! Housework all morning and a well rested, playful munchkin to spend the afternoon with!

Married: 9.22.12 - DD: 1.7.14 - EDD 2: 10.30.17 - J14 OG
  • Logan does this too! He'll get up between 5:30-7 and eat, play for a little bit and then will sleep for at least 2-3 hours by 9-10am. It's the longest nap he takes all day. He'll be up most of the afternoon then with a short nap around dinner time. Bed time around 9-9:30 and then we start over.  I agree though. On the weekends (I work FT :( ) I do get a lot done in those few hours!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Holly's sleep schedule isn't so much odd, but it is that she isn't consistent on how she wants to be put down.  Some days she likes me to put her on her back w/o the pacifier, other days she wants the pacifier, sometimes she likes to be put on her belly... it is a total crap shoot.  I've tried to create a routine, but she has other plans. 

Holly is so different from her sister that it is tough to wrap my head around.
  • So funny you posted this, Norah has just started almost this exact routine in the last few days. The first time she slept from 9:00 to 1:30 I was slightly concerned but she still sleeps fine at night (although not through the night regularly yet, lucky you!) so I'm just rolling with it. I am enjoying all the extra time to myself in the morning!
  • @JennaRaek, if he was sleeping for 2-3 hours, I would consider that pretty normal!

I should clarify to say that when he sleeps for 4 hours, he wakes up because I go in there and wake him up. I decided that today I would let him sleep as long as he wants. Right now I'm at 4 hours and 40 minutes....

I'm going in there at 5 hours.

Weird baby.
  • Yep, this is Warren. His morning "nap" starts about an hour after he wakes up, and it's (fortunately) when I get most of my work done because he doesn't usually nap well the rest of the day, despite my efforts. We'll get a couple dozes and maybe a couple 30-min naps....
  • @JennaRaek, if he was sleeping for 2-3 hours, I would consider that pretty normal!

I should clarify to say that when he sleeps for 4 hours, he wakes up because I go in there and wake him up. I decided that today I would let him sleep as long as he wants. Right now I'm at 4 hours and 40 minutes....

I'm going in there at 5 hours.

Weird baby.

I guess I just thought it was odd because he takes such a long nap shortly after STTN. Maybe not! You must have a growing boy! :)

• angiek1 said:

Holly's sleep schedule isn't so much odd, but it is that she isn't consistent on how she wants to be put down.  Some days she likes me to put her on her back w/o the pacifier, other days she wants the pacifier, sometimes she likes to be put on her belly... it is a total crap shoot.  I've tried to create a routine, but she has other plans. 

Holly is so different from her sister that it is tough to wrap my head around.

@angiek1‌ My DD is like this too. We never know how to put her to sleep. She definitely doesn't give in easily, and nothing works the same two nights in a row. At least we're not forming sleep associations that need to be broken later?

@peanutmuse‌ In my inexpert opinion, I think it's pretty normal. I think I remember reading that babies should sleep for 10-12hrs at night. B has just shifted his later. And he's probably sleeping a bit extra due to the hour he spends awake.
    photo e2fe0839-b11a-41d8-8a07-1ef481a55d67_zpsda9c0f6f.jpg photo 777c55cb-e377-4070-950b-fdeda172a809_zpscd40251a.jpg IMG_15901 photo IMG_15901.jpg
  • We have something similar for the past week or so. LO basically eats and sleeps all morning until 1pm, then takes his 3-4 hour nap. He stays up after that until bedtime at 8:30.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"