November 2014 Moms
Options

Natural Birth

Hey ladies, I know it's early but I am really leaning toward wanting to do a natural, drug free birth. I'm okay with being in a Hospital but I'd really like to do this without drugs if possible. I am a FTM so it's a bit scary. My husband supports this but he is also horrified! So just looking for advice to help prepair and also suggestions to any books/movies that would be helpful. TIA!

Best Answers

• Loading the player...

Answers

• Options
    mb314mb314 member
    Check out the Natural birth board on the Bump. 

DH's father is a doctor, and he has a lot of medical professionals in his family, so he wasn't 100% on board with my choice of a midwife and a natural/unmedicated birth at first.  We did Bradley classes, and those were great for getting DH to understand why I didn't want an epidural/pitocin/other interventions.  The Bradley Method is very thorough - it's 12 weeks of classes, and you usually start sometime in your 2nd tri. It focuses on "Husband/Partner Coached Child Birth," and it really educated DH (who is not the type to go do the research on your own).  The go over a lot of information about the different interventions, and when they are necessary and when they are not. They also give you exercise/diet advice, and give you tools you can use to give birth without mediation.  I started the classes at about 20 weeks (if you're interested in them, I would look into them soon - in my area they fill up quickly). 

I also liked reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  It's "hippy" in parts, but it was a good read.  DH and I watched the documentary "The Business of Being Born" together.  It's on Netflix.  The film is slanted, but it did help DH see how some hospitals can be "factories" for babies and push interventions. 

We didn't hire a doula, but many people do and have good experiences.  Other women like hypnobabies (it wasn't for me because I hate meditating). 

Talk to you OB/Midwife about natural birth to gauge his/her reaction.  You will want a supportive provider and will want to make sure that you give birth in an environment that respects your choices.  I gave birth in a hospital, med-free, but my hospital was very natural birth friendly.

I also recommend laboring in a tub or very least a shower.  My hospital had a tub, and it really helped me deal with the pain. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    mb314 said:
    Check out the Natural birth board on the Bump. 

Talk to you OB/Midwife about natural birth to gauge his/her reaction.  You will want a supportive provider and will want to make sure that you give birth in an environment that respects your choices.  I gave birth in a hospital, med-free, but my hospital was very natural birth friendly.

I also recommend laboring in a tub or very least a shower.  My hospital had a tub, and it really helped me deal with the pain. 
    This and this.  I ended up switch providers near the end of my 2nd tri because I had finally settled on med-free and my ob was not receptive at all.  

I also labored over night and being able to labor in the tub was the only way I got any sleep.  Even if it was only a few minutes here and there.  By the end of it all, I needed all of my reserves and I may not have had the energy if I hadn't labored in the tub.  I didn't have back labor, but I have heard it's especially helpful with that.

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    edited April 2014
    Just a note about "going as far as you can without drugs" (just a general comment, not directed at anybody), the worst part of labor is "transition", that's when most women are like "OMG, I need drugs!", but it's also the shortest part and means you are almost done!

Knowing that "this is the peak, it will be a short phase, I'm almost done!" got me through it. (Not gonna lie, transition is a bitch. In between contractions is when I would mentally pep-talk myself. During the transition contractions I was like "OMG, not sure if I can handle this!")
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    Go into it educated and always remind yourself that the pain is getting baby out, not. Physically hurting you. That helped me s lot when I was a ftm.

I agree with the other ladies, Ina may is amazing ams the Bradley method is pretty great :)

I went into my labor as a ftm with a very detailed birth plan and made sure everyone knew to not offer me drugs. That was huge for me. Transition is the worst but its sooooo close to the end. Its good to be open minded, but it's OK to specifically include your limits and what you for sure don't want in your birth plan. Pain meds were just not an option for me and I wanted to be sure everyone knew that.
    Mom to Carter, Kendall, Kiersten and Baby O #4

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I love Ina May guide to child birth.  One of the most crunchy and beneficial things that helped me through labor was imagining a flower blooming and making a motor sound with my lips.  These two things make it hard to clench yourself together promoting progress.  It was also reassuring that everyone kept telling it is pain with a purpose and it is is suppose to hurt because your body is doing what it is suppose.  

If it is something that you really want don't' let people discourage you with saying to leave your options open.  I knew my options but I didnt' want to be reminded of them because they were easier then what I was doing.  So many people say all that matters is a healthy baby but birth trauma for the mother is real if your birth goes totally wrong.  The stronger you feel about it, I believe the harder you will push for it.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    For me drugs weren't really an option. It just never even came into my head as a possibility, I just focused on one contraction at a time, and as others have said, once it gets really difficult you're almost done!  I would focus on the positives of going drug free, which is that you can move around however you want.  If you get an epidural, I believe you also need an IV and a catheter.  I was able to try lots of different positions to find what was most comfortable. With both kids I labored sitting upright on the stairs or the toilet, and then moved to a comfortable position to push.  The first time I pushed with a squat bar and then delivered DD on a birth stool, and with DS it was all I could do to climb onto the bed on my side and he was born in 2-3 tiny pushes.  Both my labors were short (5 1/2 hours and 1 1/2 hours) and I am sure part of that was to do with my mobility.
  • Options
    Maelara said:
    Technically if it's a vaginal birth, it's natural :P I honestly think the best way to go into birth is to have a plan, like wanting drug free, but also having an open mind that it's possible. Sometimes an epidural is needed to help you relax or a csection will happen. Or if you are unlucky and the baby comes sunny side up, you will have back labor which is suppose to be incredibly painful. All that said, I have so much respect for women such as yourself who want to have a med free birth. I don't think I could do it! My plan is to go as far as I can without drugs but then bring them on! Lol!
    I agree with this so much. The only reason my last labor and delivery was med-free was because it was so short (3 hours). By the time I arrived at the hospital I was at 7cm so I just went with it. At that point I couldn't have stayed still long enough to receive an epidural even if I had requested one!

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My friend who is a midwife sent me this link, 

At the very least, it was an interesting read. She's super crunchy. I don't take her opinions or suggestions as my own, but I am very open to reading what she sends me. 

BABY GIRL, 11-11-14 

• Options
    abbyful said:

Just a note about "going as far as you can without drugs" (just a general comment, not directed at anybody), the worst part of labor is "transition", that's when most women are like "OMG, I need drugs!", but it's also the shortest part and means you are almost done!

Knowing that "this is the peak, it will be a short phase, I'm almost done!" got me through it. (Not gonna lie, transition is a bitch. In between contractions is when I would mentally pep-talk myself. During the transition contractions I was like "OMG, not sure if I can handle this!")

Considering I'm the one that said I'm going to go as far as I can, I'm going to reply to this :)

I'm a STM. That said, my first delivery was a csection because my DD had both feet down breech. I would love nothing more than to have a med-free birth. I'm really hoping to try for a VBAC. The odds aren't really in my favor but I'm going to try. Anyway, just wanted to say I already knew about transition :P I really suggest all FTM go to prenatal classes so they learn about everything that can happen. My BFF decided she was too good for prenatal (she was going to do her own research and thought those classes were ridiculous because birth is 'natural') and she had no idea what she was going in to. Which she admits now. Our bodies are made to have babies but knowledge is power.
  • Options
    momtojad said:
    I love Ina May guide to child birth.  One of the most crunchy and beneficial things that helped me through labor was imagining a flower blooming and making a motor sound with my lips.  These two things make it hard to clench yourself together promoting progress.  It was also reassuring that everyone kept telling it is pain with a purpose and it is is suppose to hurt because your body is doing what it is suppose.  

If it is something that you really want don't' let people discourage you with saying to leave your options open.  I knew my options but I didnt' want to be reminded of them because they were easier then what I was doing.  So many people say all that matters is a healthy baby but birth trauma for the mother is real if your birth goes totally wrong.  The stronger you feel about it, I believe the harder you will push for it.
    I was not trying to discourage her, I was just reminding her to be practical and know that not everything is in your control, so the more comfortable you are with that, the less likely you are to feel traumatized if something doesn't go according to plan.  I'm not talking about when the hospital staff tries to talk you into an epi when you don't need one, or using forceps instead of pushing longer, those are things you need to be knowledgeable about (hence why I said to take classes and inform yourself).  I mean that if your baby's heart stops beating and you have to have interventions to get it out safely, don't beat yourself up because you didn't have your dream natural birth.  

I certainly agree that birth trauma is real when things go terribly wrong, and it's so sad when that happens.  I just don't put those situations in the same category as if someone went into it with no knowledge and gets upset when she ends up getting a bunch of unnecessary interventions because she didn't advocate for herself.
    imageimage

• Options
    mussalynn said:
    momtojad said:

I was not trying to discourage her, I was just reminding her to be practical and know that not everything is in your control, so the more comfortable you are with that, the less likely you are to feel traumatized if something doesn't go according to plan.  I'm not talking about when the hospital staff tries to talk you into an epi when you don't need one, or using forceps instead of pushing longer, those are things you need to be knowledgeable about (hence why I said to take classes and inform yourself).  I mean that if your baby's heart stops beating and you have to have interventions to get it out safely, don't beat yourself up because you didn't have your dream natural birth.  

I certainly agree that birth trauma is real when things go terribly wrong, and it's so sad when that happens.  I just don't put those situations in the same category as if someone went into it with no knowledge and gets upset when she ends up getting a bunch of unnecessary interventions because she didn't advocate for herself.

It is unsafe to not leave your options open. Nobody is discouraging the OP, just being realistic. As @mussalynn said, sometimes the baby's heart stops beating and you need every intervention to get that baby out NOW. Nobody is saying let the hospital staff influence your decision on med-free or not. Make your voice heard so they don't ask, however, as I mentioned, sometimes an epidural is the only way to get your body to relax enough to get those extra centimetres. Otherwise, it's csection time. And really, what would you rather have? An epidural or a csection? Not a hard choice. When it all comes down to it, you do what you need to so that baby is out and alive and so are you. I sincerely hope you don't have to make that decision. I'm not trying to scary you OP. Just have an open mind. Interventions happen. You need to think of all possibilities. That way your birth plan encompasses everything. If you want a csection, do you want to wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing? Do you want to curtain up or down? Do you want your spouse to cut the cord? Do you want skin-to-skin after? Because after a csection that is something you have to fight for.

Birth trauma is real, I had PPD and PPA after DD and some of it stemmed from feeling like I missed out on child birth because I had a csection. But the baby is more important.
  • Options
    kegcrc said:

I haven't made a decision yet, because I always figured I would get an epidural because if it was there, why not? But I don't have any experiences to really have an opinion on it yet. Can I just ask (anyone), what is the main reason for you choosing a non-medicated birth?

No medical intervention is without risk. Serious side effects of epidural are quite rare, but do happen. Paralysis, nerve damage, brain damage, etc. (That being said, there are risks any time anesthesia is used, you can die from getting your wisdom teeth out, it's just very rare.)

More common side effects are things like headaches (sometimes just when it's in, sometimes it triggers chronic migraines for years), chronic back pain, increasing risk of c-section, etc.

It also may have effects on the baby. Here's what American Pregnancy Association says about epidural affecting babies: "studies suggest that some babies will have trouble 'latching on' causing breastfeeding difficulties. Other studies suggest that a baby might experience respiratory depression, fetal malpositioning, and an increase in fetal heart rate variability, thus increasing the need for forceps, vacuum, cesarean deliveries and episiotomies."
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    kegcrc said:
    I haven't made a decision yet, because I always figured I would get an epidural because if it was there, why not? But I don't have any experiences to really have an opinion on it yet. Can I just ask (anyone), what is the main reason for you choosing a non-medicated birth?
    @kegcrc Once I started researching interventions and birth choices, I started getting concerned about the "cascade of interventions" that can come along with a lot of hospital births.  Getting an epidural CAN (not always, but it can) slow down labor, and that can cause the hospital to want to speed up labor with pitocin, and that CAN put more stress on the baby and CAN lead to a c-section.  Now, that is a generalization, but it is not uncommon, and it was something I wanted to avoid.  And as a pp said, no intervention is without risk (no matter how small the risk). 

Also, I liked the feeling of being in control during birth.  With an epidural, you are typically limited to being in bed. Being active during labor and being able to move around usually helps labor to go more quickly.   I liked being able to labor in the tub for pain relief, and I liked knowing without a doubt that it was time to push.  I didn't need to have a doctor/nurse/midwife tell me to push.  I had an overwhelming urge to do so because I could feel it.

I won't lie, the contractions were painful, but they weren't so bad that I'm not willing to do it again

• Options
    I still haven't 100% decided what I want to do but I want to be as educated as possible. Before I got pregnant I was completely of the mindset that I was going to have an epidural because I was terrified of the prospect of childbirth. 

Since I've been reading stories, hearing other moms talk about their birth experiences, and since getting pregnant I've changed my mind somewhat. I'm not as terrified about giving birth and part of me thinks I could potentially do this drug-free but as some of the moms have said if the pain is hindering my progression, there is an issue, or I just flat out can not handle the pain I'm not completely opposed to an epidural. I will definitely look into some of the resources mentioned here! Thank you for bringing up this topic.

• Options
    kegcrc said:

Well I'm still learning the benefits but so far I have learned it's healthier for baby, it let's them be more aware and receptive at birth(which really helps when learning to breast feed) with meds sometimes that baby has a harder time latching. Also it's let's us be more in control of our bodies, we can move around more and be a bit more in control. (I really like the idea of laboring in a bath tub). And also recovery is quicker. It seems all together better as long as you can look past the pain part.

• Options
    One thing that really sucks and pisses me off is when people ask me about it and I mention I'm really shooting for non-medicated birth and they laugh in my face and say yea right you aren't gonna make it. Ugh! So annoying, especially since it's scary as hell and all I want is support and advice!
  • Options

My friend who is a midwife sent me this link, 

At the very least, it was an interesting read. She's super crunchy. I don't take her opinions or suggestions as my own, but I am very open to reading what she sends me. 

What does "crunchy" mean?

• Options
    MayasmumMayasmum member
    edited April 2014

Knhlittle said:
    One thing that really sucks and pisses me off is when people ask me about it and I mention I'm really shooting for non-medicated birth and they laugh in my face and say yea right you aren't gonna make it. Ugh! So annoying, especially since it's scary as hell and all I want is support and advice!

I told my midwife I "hoped" to give birth naturally and she raised her eyebrows at me and laughed.  There was no doubt in her mind, all emergencies aside, that I'd be capable of achieving unmedicated birth.  And I did do it!  You can too.  It helped me to read birth stories on BirthWithoutFearblog.com and anything by or about Ina May Gaskin. 
  • Options
    What does "crunchy" mean?
    it means "hippy" or  preferring natural remedies, alternative medicines, a focus on nature, etc
  • Options
    I am also trying for a natural birth experience and was wondering if anyone had any experience with hypnobirthing and if it was effective ?
  • Options
    lissydee said:
    Maelara said:
    mussalynn said:
    momtojad said:

It is unsafe to not leave your options open. Nobody is discouraging the OP, just being realistic. As @mussalynn said, sometimes the baby's heart stops beating and you need every intervention to get that baby out NOW. Nobody is saying let the hospital staff influence your decision on med-free or not. Make your voice heard so they don't ask, however, as I mentioned, sometimes an epidural is the only way to get your body to relax enough to get those extra centimetres. Otherwise, it's csection time. And really, what would you rather have? An epidural or a csection? Not a hard choice. When it all comes down to it, you do what you need to so that baby is out and alive and so are you. I sincerely hope you don't have to make that decision. I'm not trying to scary you OP. Just have an open mind. Interventions happen. You need to think of all possibilities. That way your birth plan encompasses everything. If you want a csection, do you want to wait for the umbilical cord to stop pulsing? Do you want to curtain up or down? Do you want your spouse to cut the cord? Do you want skin-to-skin after? Because after a csection that is something you have to fight for.

Birth trauma is real, I had PPD and PPA after DD and some of it stemmed from feeling like I missed out on child birth because I had a csection. But the baby is more important.
    while all of this is true, you also have to keep in mind that many interventions happen because previous interventions were introduced.  Sometimes the complications in labor and delivery are of our own creation.  It is prudent to educate yourself about all interventions and their respective benefits and side affects.  I think many would be surprised to find that a lot of what happens in routine labor and delivery is not evidenced based.

I agree :) I think it's so important to educate yourself and advocate for what you want. My DD was both feet down breech and not moving. I had to have a csection. It was he absolute last thing I wanted but it had to be done. I was super scared the first time about the pain of birth and I probably would have let fear dictate my decisions if I didn't have a csection the first time. Not this time though. I'm actually excited for it :) after feeling so let down that I had to have a csection the first time it made me want a natural, even unmediated birth the second time. Also, as someone said that medication can cause latch issues, the IV pain killers (morphine, etc) causes this too. Latch issues *can* make or break you. It didn't for us (we did have latch issues), none sufficient breast tissue did.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"