July 2014 Moms

"Interviewing" Pediatrician

We might be behind the ball, but we are meeting with a potential pediatrician tomorrow for the first time.  I've done research on his practice and they get good reviews.  Any particular questions that you STM's or others who have already picked a pediatrician are glad you asked/wish you had asked?

Re: "Interviewing" Pediatrician

• We will be meeting a pediatirician on 5/27, so don't feel too behind. I want a good idea of how the office operates, and their thoughts on all my hippie dippie ideas (cloth diapering, boobfeeding, circumcision, etc)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I have chosen 4 different doctors. I have composed a bit of a questioner for them to fill out. Then I will weed through them and pick a doctor who most supports our ideals and lifestyle
  • Loading the player...
  • We have a trip planned to Puerto Rico when LO will be about 3.5 months old for a good friend's wedding.  We interviewed 2 pediatricians last week and I asked them both how they felt about this trip/permission to travel.  Listening to their answers really gave me a sense of how conservative they are, etc. I'm a nurse practitioner, so I already knew how I felt about the trip and the medical risks, but it ended up being a great question to get to know them and their practice style a bit better. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • abundancenowabundancenow member
    edited April 2014
    Wow, this is surprising me that doctors have free time to be interviewed by possible patients. I did not know this was common for finding a pedi. I just asked a bunch of mom's in my area who they went to. I chose a practice close to my home with multiple doctors who rotate. I liked the idea of getting treatment from different doctors with different treatment styles. It was also important that it was in my healthcare insurance network. If I wanted to I could pick just one of the doctors, but we still see various ones.
  • Wow, this is surprising me that doctors have free time to be interviewed by possible patients.

This....

Can anyone expand on this?
  • ichabody said:
    Wow, this is surprising me that doctors have free time to be interviewed by possible patients.
    This.... Can anyone expand on this?
    The doc that we ended up selecting based on reviews offered to have us come in to the office and see it/meet the staff, and to answer any questions we had. It seems that peds who are taking on newborn patients likely leave some open schedule time for these kinds of question/interview sessions. I really appreciated the offer and said we'd stop in closer to our EDD.  
    My sweet little munchkin! 
    8 lbs, 13 oz.  21" long

• Thanks ladies - I thought I remembered talking about this but apparently my search terms sucked.

The offic offered to let us come in to meet the doc we had picked in case we didn't click so we could switch. I thought it was a normal practice.

• I like that my pedi's office has separate waiting areas for well-visits and sick-visits and a nurse line (for asking questions that might not warrant a doctor visit). I also like that they have an LC on staff and that they are conservative about prescribing antibiotics. These are definitely things I would look for if we switched practices.

• Wow, this is surprising me that doctors have free time to be interviewed by possible patients. I did not know this was common for finding a pedi. I just asked a bunch of mom's in my area who they went to. I chose a practice close to my home with multiple doctors who rotate. I liked the idea of getting treatment from different doctors with different treatment styles. It was also important that it was in my healthcare insurance network. If I wanted to I could pick just one of the doctors, but we still see various ones.

The practice I'm interested in has certain appointment times for new parents. I think it is super awesome because I've had my fair share of whack job doctors. Most recently I had a GP told me to take mucinex to help me get pregnant. Yeahhhhhh, that's going to fix husbands sperms and my polyps. Ugh.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• I think the most important thing is hours/availability/convenience in location. And just see if you like the pedi's personality.. You will be dealing with him/her a lot. I met with ours while pregnant with DS1.. She was fine. And the office also acted like it was commonplace for expecting parents to come in prior to choosing them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My absolute biggest priority was that they were knowledgable and supportive of breastfeeding.  I have seen so many ped's who told moms to supplement right away and didn't know how to support them in figuring out exclusive nursing (when that was the mom's stated desire and goal!), freaked them out about weight gain unnecessarily, and generally displayed an ignorance about normal breastfeeding struggles and how to overcome them.  Hence the reason I picked a pediatrician who was also trained as an IBCLC ; ).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"