Baby Names

Theoretical Debate

If you are TTC, and your top two name choices are a name that people are currently saying is "too common/tired" and a name that is the current "Ooo, that's so underused and beautiful!" and being suggested for 2/3rds of women looking for names (like choice 1 was last time you were TTC)...  which would you go with?  Or would you find another name?

This is theoretical.  We'll decide when we find out the gender.  I'm just curious to see what people think.  (DH and I have fairly opposite taste in names.  Name 1 is my favorite name and DH is OK with it.  Name 2 is his suggestion, and I think it's also pretty great.)
DS born 12/2012
Little Squeaker due 6/2015

Re: Theoretical Debate

• I would go with the one you like best! Can you tell us the names?
  • Name number 2?
  • Loading the player...
  • Lillian and Gwendolyn, June as the middle name.  We actually know one Lily, a few months younger than DS (plus DH has a cousin who named HER kid Lily - but we never see them.)
    DS born 12/2012
  • Love Gwendolyn! I don't think it's going to reach uber-popular status anytime soon. Lillian is great too and I wouldn't be deterred from using it if I were you. Agree that Lily is getting very popular, though.
  • bromios said:
    Probably I would go with a different option entirely, but it would depend on the name. For instance, I would have used Isabella Marie in a heartbeat if it weren't for the damn Twilight books. Popularity would never have deterred me because the name is so beautiful. In terms of names that people are suggesting, you kind of have to think about whether you feel like it is one of those names a lot of people will actually use. For instance if everyone is suggesting Evelyn, I would say that one is likely to actually become very common. But while Evangeline gets tossed around here a lot, the fear of actually taking on such an ethereally beautiful name/the vetoes of SOs is likely to keep that one relatively uncommon despite the love for it. Ditto Seraphina/Serafina - a lot of us love it, but for the most part SOs will veto it or we won't QUITE have the guts to do it.   
    Yeah, Evelyn is also on our short list of names we are both OK with. My tastes in names apparently align with the majority of women roughly my age.
    DS born 12/2012
  • I would love to call a Gwendolyn "Wendy".  :x
    DD1 - 2010 TTC v2.0
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"