abs — The Bump
Health & Exercise

abs

I am 8 weeks today and have noticed that while running my abs seems to be the first to get tired, and they are always sore a few hours after a run. I haven't spoken to a doctor yet, but was wondering if you ladies had any advice on how to improve my core, or what exercises are safe to do. Before pregnancy I had let my fitness fall a bit and had been working on it for about a month before I found out I was pregnant. 
marathonmom823

Re: abs

• Congrats on your pregnancy! Right now you can do all of the ab exercises you've been doing. Planks are great, and are an exercise you can do all the way through your pregnancy.
    Most Drs will tell you to avoid exercising flat on your back after the end of your first trimester. Fortunately you can modify many ab exercises to be done on a stability ball or the incline position on a bench. Of course this varies by person, as some get unconfortable sooner while lying on their backs, while it doesn't bother others until later.
    FWIW, I'm 31 weeks today, and still doing most of my normal ab exercises on my back. I stopped doing exercises in the prone (face-down) position around 22-23 weeks, as it felt weird on my belly.
    The biggest thing is to just make sure you're not getting light-headed or dizzy while on your back. If you do, roll into your left side for a few minutes (helps with blood flow back to the heart) and sip some water.
    Focus on strengthening your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings as well as your abs- a strong core will help your body adjust to the changes of pregnancy better, resulting in fewer aches and pains for you.
    Good luck!

Mommy to R (8.23.11) and K (6.21.14).

• Thanks! I am really trying to focus on my core and back so (like you said) I will adjust as easily as I can. :)
    marathonmom823
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards